Disneyland Resort Paris

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ladyofthelake

According to ED92 on Twitter, DisneyLand Paris will be introducing a paid FastPass option from this May. For 90 Euros, guests can gain unlimited FastPass entry to attractions which offer FastPass Entry for one day. Or, for 15 Euros, guests can purchase a single FastPass. I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed that Disney seem to be going down the paid FastPass route at Paris, especially given how quickly the regular FastPasses are claimed each day. It will be interesting to see how the paid and free FastPass allocations are balanced.

The Resort have also announced the next wave of refurbishments for their major attractions:
  • Phantom Manor - January - at least September 2018
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant - January-March 2018
  • Casey Jr. – le Petit Train du Cirque - January-March 2018
  • Mad Hatter's Teacups - April-June 2018
  • Crush's Coaster - April-June 2018
Cinémagique is also set to remain closed until at least September 2018 with rumours it is being replaced by a Marvel based experience.

The closure which will have the biggest impact will be Crush's Coaster. During my trip it always had at least a 60-80 minute queue, sometimes more (partly due to its low capacity). I think the other rides in Studios are really going to feel the impact of Crush's closure, with the already busy queues being made even longer, especially over the busy Easter period.
Danny

Disappointing to hear about the paid for fast pass system :(

We are looking to plan a trip within the next year, is Crush Coaster worthy of potentially rearranging for? If anything it may be worth waiting until it's back open so it can free up some queues :)
Robert.W

Danny wrote:Disappointing to hear about the paid for fast pass system :(

We are looking to plan a trip within the next year, is Crush Coaster worthy of potentially rearranging for? If anything it may be worth waiting until it's back open so it can free up some queues :)
Crush's Coaster is just a generic spinning coaster so wouldn't have said so. It won't reopen until June 2018. Just make sure you go after 23 July 2017, as that is when Pirates of the Caribbean reopens and everything else in Disneyland Park will be open also.
In 2018 though, Dumbo, Casey Jr and Mad Hatter's Teacups in Fantasyland will be closed between January and March and Phantom Manor will be closed from January until September.
I'd visit during the autumn of this year to get the most out of your visit, or you could wait until September 2018, when ALL the rides will be open, but that's a long time to wait. Have a nice time though!

wamdue

Looking to take a week off work soon, putting aside issues like cost of the hotel etc, are there any decent coasters there, or is it all more of an exercise in Disney branding than anything else?
Last edited by Chris on Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected typo.
Ladyofthelake

wamdue wrote:Looking to take a week odd work soon, putting aside issues like cost of the hotel etc, are there any decent coasters there, or is it all more of an exercise in Disney branding than anything else?
There are a few coasters at Disney which are worth doing if you haven't experienced them before. In the Disneyland Park you have Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril, and HyperSpace Mountain. Over in Disney Studios you have Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, and Crush's Coaster.

There are also a number of other rides which are definitely worth doing - Tower of Terror and Ratatouille in Studios, and Phantom Manor in the main park. You also have Pirates of the Caribbean re-opening on 24th July.

I would strongly recommend checking on the DLP website if there are going to be any rides closed on the dates you are looking at. The Resort are operating a rolling refurbishment programme which means certain rides are being closed for a few months at a time.

If you do stay in the area and want to experience a few more coasters then definitely look at popping to Parc Asterix which has the awesome Oziris and is only 30-40 mins drive.
kris3012

For me although the rides are great disney is more about the general magical feeling it gives u I.e meeting characters, the parade/fireworks and the whole feel of the place.
Before we first went to Disney I didn't really get it and tbh only went for my missus(she's a huge Disney fan) and the kids.
But I was the one who came back and booked a 2nd trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wamdue

thanks for the views guys, just dont want to spend ALOT of money getting there, and finding its all about the branding, we all have a part of Disney we love, but im not going to like the Princess side to it.
Robert.W

You could get the Eurostar direct to Disneyland and do the parks for the day and then get the Eurostar back. It's a way to do a bit of Disney without breaking the bank, but you can only really get a full Disney experience by staying at least two days, but even then it pushes the prices up significantly especially if staying in Disney hotel.

Ladyofthelake

The Walt Disney Company have announced today that they now have acquired full control of Disneyland Paris following they managed to buy out 97% of the shares in the Resort. This will hopefully mean that the Walt Disney Company can now invest heavily in the Resort and see a significant amount of investment in the coming years. The future is certainly looking much brighter for DLP :)

Source: http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/06/w ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robert.W

YES! Awesome news! Hopefully Disney will now value it as much as their domestic parks in the US!

Owen

[align=center]Disney's Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel

Image[/align]
The Hotel New York at Disneyland Resort Paris is going to be re-imagined into “Disney’s Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel”. This will be a Marvel fan’s dream hotel with various piees from the universe. This will be a hotel even Mr. Stark would be proud of!

[align=center]Image[/align]
There is currently no opening date for this new re-imagination of the hotel.
Robert.W

I think a few people might disagree, but I definitely welcome the changes to Hotel New York. Whilst I'm not the biggest MARVEL fan (in fact, I now nothing about MARVEL characters or anything!), I think it will be something fresh and a theme that kids and adults alike will be able to relate to. I'm also quite glad that they are keeping New York in the name, suggesting that (and I hope) the themeing will be more subtle, which seems the case also from seeing the concepts above. Overall I think it will be well received from the general public as a unique experience but only accepted by Disneyland Paris fans because they are keeping with the general New York theme as well.

theparklifekid

According to rumours, Guardians of the Galaxy are coming to WDS and will be overtaking a ride. Not Tower of Terror though as it is still a popular attraction that guests are 'attached to'. Instead they may overtake Rock N' Rollercoaster, as it would be easier to do and would require less work.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Robert.W

Yes, I actually heard that somewhere quite a while ago... I can't remember where though... I've heard that they are planning to overhaul the whole backlot area of the park into a Marvel themed area - except that they aren't going to elaborately theme it or anything, just simple overlays and stuff. Armageddon is also rumoured to be closing at some point too.

Owen

The rumours have been floating around since late 2015/early 2016, I wouldn't look into it much until something more substantial happens! :P
Robert.W

Yeah, I only stumble across rumours when I'm researching parks and stuff, but it's nice to have a bit of hope... ED92 had a very good article with amazing details from a shareholders meeting from a while ago, but I now can't find that article... it had a lot of information on how WDS would have been updated.

Chris
Admin
Admin

WIth DIsney now taking full ownership of the resort, and the fact that there is no longer a hefty licensing fee to pay, I am hoping for some serious investment in the next few years.

It seems like Walt Disney were able to hijack the existing Euro Disney Hotel New York renovation plans and up the game a bit.

From this point the budget for future projects should be significanlty higher. The Studios Backlot does need ripping out and starting again, for a start :P
abigsmurf

Given the insane hotel capacity of DLP, they could do with making an effort to fill the parks with enough to make it somewhere to go to for a full holiday rather than a weekend.

They also need to buy out the area outside the park from the French Government. Weaving between dodgy street traders (that the French police don't seem to care about) on the way back to your car isn't great and they could use the space to either expand Disney studios or turn the areas outside the park into something like Disney Springs.
Robert.W

The massively excessive hotel capacity has always been one of the flaws of EuroDisney since it opened. In the first year, during the winter, they actually had to close Newport Bay due to such low capacity. At the moment, I wouldn't say that it's only good enough for a weekend as you could probably have a good time and enough to do for at least 3 days, perhaps 4.

I totally agree that the Studios needs expansion and investment, and as far as I have seen, there is a lot of potential space behind the Studios for that, but not all owned by Disney I don't think. 

And as for Disney Village - it ideally just needs bulldozed. I'm my opinion, it is actually worse place than the Studios. Considering that bulldozing Disney Village is pretty much out of the question, perhaps the next best thing would be to renovate and redevelop, and adding a general theme to the area. Disney Springs had a great theme and exceptional execution, in comparison to Disney Village, but I feel that Disneyland Paris needs something a bit more sophisticated, whatever that may look like. Disney Village just needs improvements urgently.

abigsmurf

Depends on how busy it is when you go to how long it takes (and if your with a child who wants to do the character meet and greets) I suppose. Off peak, doing extra magic hours I'd be surprised if you hadn't seen everything by the end of day 2.

Looking at satelite pics of the park, it looks like they've the space to increase the effective size of the Studios by about 1/3, especially if they alter or remove the backlot tour. Would be enough space for a testrack/cars ride or Tron Coaster plus a couple of other mid sized rides. any more that that and they'd have to pay through the nose buying out the land around it.