Disneyland Resort Paris

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Owen

Well... new rumours are saying if you want to ride the Tower of Terror in its current form you better get on it!

The ride is anticipated to have it’s exterior conversion start in March 2018, and set to close in September 2018. This iscto get it ready to reopen in 2019 as, you guessed it, Guardians of the Galaxy: MISSION BREAKOUT...
Robert.W

I guess it was only a matter of time! It's a shame though. It's just going to further reduce the little thematic coherence that the park actually has. 

abigsmurf

Was a bit predictable that it would happen.

Going to mean that the two parks look like it's going to have at least a gap of 6 years before a genuinely brand new ride though. Maybe the 'Marvel Land' rumours will come to pass and there'll be another ride added, as well as the new show and ToT rebrand.
Ladyofthelake

This makes me so, so sad and angry at the same time.

Why do Disney feel the need to butcher a ride which has beautiful theming and still attracts significant queues all year round? In my eyes it will be totally unforgivable if they go through with turning it into Guardians of the Galaxy. Yes, I get that in any park attractions need to be updated, and yes, I get that the Marvel brand is huge and Disney want to maximise on this, however this should not be at the expense of something like Tower of Terror.

They would be much better looking at sorting out the Studios park in general. Tower of Terror is probably the best themed part of the park, as well as the area in which Ratatouille sits. Toy Story Playground is probably ok too, The rest of the park needs a lot of work doing to it to help bring it up to date. If they wanted to update an attraction, or add a new one they'd have been much better doing something on the site of Armageddon as that is very out of date and a poor attraction. If they insisted on using Marvel then I'm sure there's plenty of IP options they could go for on the Armageddon site.
abigsmurf

When They closed Star Tours to upgrade it to Star Tours 2 it made a lot of sense. The ride was in pretty extreme disrepair by Disney Standards and all the upgrades made it a fresh new ride (despite them being built on simulator tech that must be approaching 30 years old) .

But yeah, a park which has a very anemic set of rides, closing one of the two Major rides for a year for a slight upgrade when they could have added a new ride or replaced one of the duds may make for good marketing "visit the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride, then go see GotG Vol.3" but it's shortchanging visitors. As I said in my previous post, I'm holding onto hope that they're doing a marvel land and we've more announcements to come.
Danny

This is so disappointing to hear, looks like I'll need to get a visit in ASAP :(
coasterchemist

This would be a real shame if it turns out to be true.  Whilst most people would agree the attraction isn't as good as the WDW version, the CMs more than make up for it with an often dungeons-rivalling performance.  Personally I think they could do with a complete revamp starting with, as Katie said, the Armageddon attraction, as well as the tram tour as this is rarely busy and is a bit dated now.  I get that Disney now own the Marvel IP but there are so many other ways they could incorporate this into the parks without ruining iconic rides
theparklifekid

I guess that the plans to keep ToT and change Rock n rollercoaster into a Guardians ride is no more, I've never done a ToT so it looks like I need to try get to Paris ASAP. I just wish they would build a new ride from the ground up, maybe do what Epcot are doing.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Nickolai

I am going in April and I feel so lucky to be able to ride how it should be.
Formally Smiler313
Robert.W

Of course, still being a rumour, seeing as the Twilight contract is coming to an end, that is why they will be revamping it, but possibly could be changed into something other than Guardians? Maybe something more like what Tokyo Disney Sea have? I don't know... just a thought.

Danny

Quick question guys, I'm looking at a trip in the first week of 2018. The only ride I can see closed that might be an issue is Phantom Manor- is this worth postponing a visit for?

Also being the first weekend of 2018- how many days will we need? Is it likely to be busy? Thanks :)
tworandom

If you use this link to see what's open for each day for the next 90 days http://www.disneylandparis.com/en-us/ca ... 018-01-08/ as for phantom manor it's just about my favourite ride at Paris it is due to be shut until September 2018. Due to disneys rolling refurbishment there will probably always be at least one closed attraction.
Liam.W

I know it's short notice, but from the 17th of November to the 3rd of December there are no rides scheduled to close. I picked a great time to go :lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Danny

Thanks for the help :) you've picked an ideal time to visit Liam, didn't know it was possible to avoid Disney closures :P
Ladyofthelake

Disneyland Paris have officially confirmed on their website that Disney's hotel New York is to close in October 2018 in order for a full re-theme and refurbishment to be carried out which will see the hotel become based on 'the art of Marvel. The hotel will re-open at some point in 2020
“We’re always adding a little more shine and magic to our hotels for your future enjoyment. From October 2018, we’ll be busy at work, totally re-imagining the Disney’s Hotel New York into an inspiring world of Marvel Super Heroes. Opening planned within 2020.”
This will be the first hotel refurbishment to be carried out since Disney took full control of the Resort, and it's quite telling that it is a Marvel based theme. Sadly I think this will mean that the rumours about Tower of Terror being butchered rethemed will be true.
Adz
Admin
Admin

I've never been a particular fan of Hotel New York, for its price bracket it doesn't really offer anything too special and you may as well pay the extra and stay in the Disneyland Hotel. 

So for me this change is a welcome one. However if they touch Tower of Terror I will be incredibly annoyed!
Robert.W

I'm surprised they're closing it for such a long amount of time! Must have quite a lot planned.

Danny

So it's officially booked! 5th-8th January! Very excited as it will have been 15 years since my last visit, so I'm looking for any advice on things to do and see, I'm sure plenty has changed since :D
Robert.W

Danny wrote:So it's officially booked! 5th-8th January! Very excited as it will have been 15 years since my last visit, so I'm looking for any advice on things to do and see, I'm sure plenty has changed since :D
Awesome! (I'm a little jealous :P)

While Disneyland Park itself hasn't had many new rides - the only ones being Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, an update to Star Tours which is now Star Tours: The Adventure Continues, and the Space Mountain Star Wars HyperSpace Mountain overlay - there are still a lot of new shows like the two new shows on the Royal Castle Stage just next to the castle, both of which have their last performance on the 7th of January 2018. There is also the new 25th anniversary parade, Disney Stars on Parade performed daily as well as Disney Illuminations fireworks, projections and water display.

In Walt Disney Studios, there's are probably quite a few new attractions since your last visit. The ones worth noting are The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille: The Adventure. Other new attractions include those in the Toy Story Playland and Cars Quatre Roues Rallye. There is also the show, Mickey and the Magician in the Animagique Theatre, which also ends on the 7th of Jan 2018.

There is also the Christmas event which also concludes on the 7th of Jan 2018, which includes the Christmas parade which is performed daily  in Disneyland Park and also there is the Frozen Sing-a-long (if your in to that sort of thing :)) performed in the Chaparrel Theatre in Frontierland and also Mickey's Christmas Big Band performed on the Videopolis stage (Cafe Hyperion, Discoveryland). On the Royal Castle Stage there is also a new show, A Merry Stichmas! In Walt Disney Studios there is also new shows in the Production Courtyard area called Sing Me a Merry Christmas performed several times daily and a nighttime projection show called Goofy's Incredible Christmas.

I hope this post gives a little insight on what new things you can expect whithout too many spoilers! Each park should have up to date brouchers when you arrive detailing all show times, rides and park maps.

Nickolai

Does anyone know when the Star Wars Hyperspace Mountain overlay will finish?
Formally Smiler313