Disneyland Resort Paris

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Robert.W

mol7030 wrote:We are thinking of visiting in March - any ideas when the Rock N Rollercoaster re-theme will begin?

MOL
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster will be open all March, so don't worry about missing out on it before it closes! The ride is due to close for a few days in May, but I'm not sure that would be long enough to retheme the entire ride, so I presume that's just maintenance. :)

mol7030

Robert.W wrote:
mol7030 wrote:We are thinking of visiting in March - any ideas when the Rock N Rollercoaster re-theme will begin?

MOL
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster will be open all March, so don't worry about missing out on it before it closes! The ride is due to close for a few days in May, but I'm not sure that would be long enough to retheme the entire ride, so I presume that's just maintenance. :)
Ok - thanks Robert!
coasterchemist

Big News!
This morning, Disney Chairman and CEO Robert A. Iger announced plans for a two billion euro, multi-year expansion for Disneyland Paris alongside French President Emmanuel Macron at the Palais de l’Elysée in Paris.

The new development will include a transformation of Walt Disney Studios Park, adding three new areas based on Marvel, Frozen and Star Wars, along with new attractions and live entertainment experiences. A new lake will be the focal point for entertainment experiences and connect each of the three new areas, completing one of the most ambitious projects at Disneyland Paris since its opening in 1992.
“We’re very excited about the future of Disneyland Paris and continue to invest in its long-term success,” said Iger. “The resort is already the leading tourist destination in Europe, and the transformative expansion we announced today will add even more of our beloved characters and unparalleled storytelling to create new lands, attractions and entertainment that further elevate the guest experience and drive new opportunities for tourism in this dynamic region.”

The multi-year development will roll out in phases beginning in 2021, significantly expanding Walt Disney Studios Park. Each new area will bring to life some of Disney’s most popular stories and characters, including the previously announced reimagining of Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith as a high-speed, hyper-kinetic adventure with Iron Man.
This new development will build on the success of the resort’s 25th Anniversary celebration and enhance the guest experience for millions of visitors in the years to come.
Source: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/transformative-multi-year-expansion-announced-for-disneyland-paris/
Owen

Here’s some pictures taken from the concept art!

An All New Marvel Land

An All New Frozen Land

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (Or Similar)

Robert.W

Some new concept art which also appears to show the name some of each new land!  :)

theparklifekid

I'm shook, so happy that this is happening.

I can't believe this is happening, every time I look at that concept image I spot new things, Marvel, Star Wars, Frozen, a new area for potential parades, ToT staying but that lake!!?? WOW.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Ladyofthelake

I am incredibly excited about this announcement, of all of the potential options for expansion Disney could have chosen this is probably the best choice they could have made. Whilst Walt Disney Studios does have some good individual rides, as a whole park it was lacking that overall Disney feel (the Backlot area in particular). This new expansion will completely transform things, and most importantly keep the best parts of Studios (Tower of Terror is staying!!!) It also means that Disneyland Park will be able to remain the 'pure' Disney park without too much intrusion from other IPs.

In terms of the three new areas, I think it is a good balance - Star Wars and Marvel are Disney's major expansion IPs with elements of either and/or both going into almost every Disney park worldwide, whereas Frozen is Disney's own in house creation and whilst won't be everyone's favourite, will undoubtedly do well. I love the plan to add a new lake and boulevard leading to it, this will give a new focal point for the park and will give a much more attractive view once you enter the park via the Front Lot building - I hope the 'Partners' statue will remain as having this at the top of the boulevard will give a nice feature before guests head to the lake. It also looks like the new boulevard will provide a parade route too. What many people seem to be overlooking too is that Toy Story Playland will also see the addition of a new ride - Alien Swirling Saucers.

We already know that Rock and Roller Coaster is getting a re-theme too Iron Man so I'm guessing Marvel will be the first land to be added, Armageddon and the Stunt Arena will also make way for new attractions and shows meaning the entire Backlot will be transformed. The Studio Tram Tour will also be going to make way for the new developments. With the addition of Galaxy's Edge it will be interesting to see what the future holds for Star Tours which is located in the main park. As it has just received an overhaul I can't see it going anytime soon, but it wouldn't surprise me to eventually see all Star Wars related attractions located in Studios which would in turn free up that area of the main park to be developed.

I would also love to see large scale shows on the lake, something which it cetainly seems there is the potential for. What is interesting if you look at the concept art is that there appears to be a 4th area that is being left as an emptier area, something which suggests Disney already have future expansion plans in mind which is hugely encouraging.

With the addition of these new lands it offers the opportunity for plenty of new rides, shows and attractions, something which will ultimately contribute to making Disneyland Paris a destination for much longer stays than people do currently. It also means that Disneyland Paris will be able to compete against the other major European parks. You will most likelly need at least 2-3 days to do Studios fully as opposed to the 1 day you can currently do it in, with Disneyland Park needing at least 2 days making a total of at least a week's stay.

I can't wait to see this all become a reality (did I mention Tower of Terror is staying!!!) :D
Justin

I'm very excited by this news.
Although I have never visited, Disneyland is on my list of places to go in the near future. Seeing this just confirms such plans!
abigsmurf

Pretty incredible news. It finally turns Disney Studios into a park worth visiting in its own right, rather than as an add on to DLP. 

Frozen interestingly looks as if it's going to have two rides. One will obviously be Frozen Ever After. I'd guess they'd the fact they can build it from scratch will be used to ramp up the capactiy (maybe that ice peak indicates it could have a more noteworthy drop, filling in for Splash Mountain). Also looks like there's going to be a second ride too, wonder what it'll be.

The length of those paths make it seem like it's going to rival Epcot for destroying your legs after a full day. Lots of room for expansion and I'd guess they'd look at doing an Epcot style fireworks show.

Can see myself booking a long weekend to the parks when this is finished (something I didn't think I would ever do after the state it was in last time I went). Genuinely excited about it now.
Ladyofthelake

Following the announcement of the Disney Studios Expansion, it now seems like Disney Village is also going to be getting an overhaul according to this article from Forbes. It looks like the initial focus will be on renovating the existing complex, but then looking at expanding the Village by replacing the current tents with more permanent buildings or a convention centre. It would also seem that any renovation would see a change to Buffalo Bill's Wild West show with there being talk of a new show replacing it.

Interestingly the article also mentions that space is set aside for new hotels, however Disney will not progress with these unless there is need for them with the suggestion being that their construction may depend on the performance of the Studios expansion.

I'm certainly pleased to see Disney are planning on renovating the Disney Village. Whilst it does have a reasonable selection of shops, the whole Village does feel very dated and in need of being dragged into the 21st Century. It would be nice to see a similar style to Disney Springs, however I'm not sure if DLP has quite the right layout for that. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with this.
Robert.W

Haven't had the chance to watch this fully yet, but apparently it's pretty good. :)

[youtube]SFE8RlKlLCE[/youtube]

abigsmurf

It's pretty interesting but it seems like it's just skimming the surface, I feel that's a 90min-2hour documentary to be had on this rather than two twenty minute segments.

I have vague memories as a kid of a constant stream of negative stories when it was gearing up for release (some critical of Disney, some, critical of/amused by the French). That and the constant adverts showing off the same 3 second part of Captain EO.

And of course this: 
[youtube]QNx8YI9gAHs[/youtube]

Hoping with the Studios expansion they can finally make the parks stand a bit more proudly with the parks around the world. Wonder when they will announce what rides we'll see in the Marvel Section. The other sections look like they'll have clones of rides at other parks (although Frozen land looks like it could have 2 rides and Frozen Ever After will probably get expanded, if only for capacity reasons).
Robert.W

Disneyland Paris InsidEARS 

On Friday evening, Disneyland Paris held an event to give fans a glimpse at what is in store for the future of the resort! I've put together a summary of most of the announcements that were made.

Mickey et son Orchestre PhilharMagique – one of the main announcements was that the popular Mickey’s PhilharMagic attraction would finally be making its way to Disneyland Park at Disneyland Paris. The new 4D attraction is to be located in Discoveryland in the recently closed Discoveryland Theatre, and will open in October 2018!

Ratatouille: The Adventure – it was also announced that the popular trackless dark ride, Ratatouille: The Adventure, would be closed from August until December to make repairs to the flooring of the ride which has been causing some issues.

Mark Twain Riverboat – something that will undoubtedly excite many Disneyland Paris fans was the confirmation that the Mark Twain riverboat will be returning to full operation along the Rivers of the Far West. Having not operated for a number of years, the boat will need some major restoration before it can make its long awaited return in 2020.

Big Thunder Mountain – effects which have not been operational on the Big Thunder Mountain roller coaster are currently being looked at. Some effects are not currently working due to a leak of some sort, but the resort have confirmed that they are looking at possible solutions that do not involve draining the entire Rivers of the Far West.

Disneyland Hotel – also confirmed was that the resorts flagship hotel, the Disneyland Hotel, would be redesigned, with an immersive new theme that will bring characters into the hotel experience. The re-theme and refurbishment of the hotel is to begin in 2020.

Food & Beverages – food and beverages at Disneyland Paris is receiving a bit of an overhaul. More thematically appropriate options are currently being added to the menus of table service restaurants across the parks, and the counter service food and beverages options are being completely re-worked. As well as this, there will be more seasonal options available, some of which will be familliar to guests of the US parks, and others exclusive to Disneyland Paris! As well as this, Disneyland Paris will also be testing out a preorder reservation system at Restaurant en Coisse this summer.

Pizza Planet – it has been announced that a new structure is to be built on the former site of the infamous Pizza Planet restaurant in Discoveryland. The new building will be used for special events.

Colonial Hathi’s Pizza Outpost – the pizza restaurant located near the back of Adventureland in the Disneyland Park is set to be completely re-imagined. Current speculation is that the Indiana Jones theme may be adopted, which will better tie the restaurant in with the nearby Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril ride.

Randes vous Goument – the well received food and wine event is set to return to the Walt Disney Studios Park from late July until late September, this time with six extra booths and will feature even more culinary delights from all around Europe, including from France, Italy and Belgium!

Disney Village – Disneyland Paris’ troubled shopping and dining district Disney Village will be entirely remodelled which will bring it to the standard of Disney's other nighttime entertainment areas such as Disney Springs, with the final concept confirmed to be 90% finished. Concept art will be released soon! 

Halloween Cavalcade – it has also been announced that the sorely missed Halloween Cavalcade will be returning this Halloween at Disneyland Paris, after taking a year out during the 2017 celebrations. The will parade even feature a brand new float, “Mickey’s Illusion Manor”, designs of which are inspired by the resorts Phantom Manor dark ride. Mickey Mouse will be featured on this new float, wearing three different costumes… however they plan on doing that!

Merchandise – Disneyland Paris is also set to receive loads of new merchandise! There will be a series of models featuring Disney characters, as well as merchandise taking inspiration from some of the resorts famous attractions, such as the Tower of Terror! Also coming on sale this summer is the special 50th Anniversary Pirates of the Caribbean book that was sent out to some Disneyland Paris fan sites and social influencers last year, which will accompany the addition of a Phantom Manor book.

Phantom Manor – Phantom Manor, Disneyland Paris’ very own version of the Haunted Mansion will reopen in Autumn this year, and will feature a reworked storyline, fully renovated scenes, fully refurbished animatronics, and loads of new special effects! As well as this, there is work to include a new photo location in the area nearby the ride.

[youtube]PwouKk0RZKs[/youtube]

Swarm Chris

That's an impressively long list of updates they'll be making!

I'm surprised they're recommissioning the Mark Twain. The last time I saw that the wood at the front was mostly rotten and it looked like they were just using it to salvage parts for the Molly Brown.

But will the changes to the counter food services make the queues move faster?

I hope they keep the Colonel Hathi's building somewhat unchanged. Have fond memories of being sat out on its veranda while there were huge downpours of rain and it really feeling like being sat in the jungle.
Robert.W

TPC wrote:That's an impressively long list of updates they'll be making!

I'm surprised they're recommissioning the Mark Twain. The last time I saw that the wood at the front was mostly rotten and it looked like they were just using it to salvage parts for the Molly Brown.

But will the changes to the counter food services make the queues move faster?

I hope they keep the Colonel Hathi's  building somewhat unchanged. Have fond memories of being sat out on its veranda while there were huge downpours of rain and it really feeling like being sat in the jungle.
I may have interpreted it wrong, but I thing most of the changes to the food and beverages are more to do with menu options rather than reworking the actual systems. I guess time will tell! 

And yes, I agree with you about Colonial Hathi's. I'm actually surprised they are going to be doing anything to it as it look like such a lovely place to eat anyway!

Swarm Chris

Robert.W wrote: I may have interpreted it wrong, but I thing most of the changes to the food and beverages are more to do with menu options rather than reworking the actual systems. I guess time will tell! 
I'm never failed to be amazed at just how slow the quick serve restaurants operate at Paris when taking orders!

They're trialling food pre-ordering which if it's the same as the app version in Orlando it seems to work well, so we can be hopeful they'll roll that out park wide.
abigsmurf

All of those things are great, really good sign that they're making sure every aspect of the park is up to standard. 

Was really disappointed at the range and quality of food being served at the quick serve locations when I went last. Give people unique foods to eat and they'll pay more and be happier. Now they just need to have places serving funnelcake...

Any word on if they'll be buying all the land and pathways outside the park from the French government? It's not great leaving the park and having to weave between people selling low quality toys off of blankets.
Robert.W

abigsmurf wrote:Any word on if they'll be buying all the land and pathways outside the park from the French government? It's not great leaving the park and having to weave between people selling low quality toys off of blankets.
That wasn't mentioned at the event. To be honest, I hadn't actually heard that it was an issue until now. 

Robert.W

Tower of Terror façade renovation begins

Pictures from ED92 are showing scaffolding being constructed around the back of the Tower of Terror ride in the Walt Disney Studios Park.

Robert.W

Robert.W wrote:Phantom Manor – Phantom Manor, Disneyland Paris’ very own version of the Haunted Mansion will reopen in Autumn this year, and will feature a reworked storyline, fully renovated scenes, fully refurbished animatronics, and loads of new special effects! As well as this, there is work to include a new photo location in the area nearby the ride.
It's looking like Phantom Manor will now be reopening in early 2019, if ED92 reports are correct. Bit of a shame, but better they make sure they get it all right than rush it just to get it done in time.