Travelling Fairs

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Will

I have not seen an accident but have been in pain at a fair. i went on a twister ride and when it went very fast i was slammed into the side of the car. ouch!
james0507

i think they are unsafe because at my local fair this summer me and my freind whilst on the waltser nearly fell out because our bar flew open mid ride and theres the time i nearly died on the ski jump
Will

and theres the time i nearly died on the ski jump
whats that then :?:
Anonymous

[quote=""james0507""]. . .and theres the time i nearly died on the ski jump[/quote]

Why was that then? What embarrassed you?
steve

In my opinion they are fairly safe, although I'm sure that a fixed ride is safer as a ride that is being put up and dismantled all the time!
james0507

( it was a big version known as the mr frosty not the little baby ones) what happened was the operator said it would be safe for 7 of us to sit in one car and i sat at the end as the cars are tilted the ride set off and every time it flew of the jump everyone squashed me and i was pushed underneath the bar and everyone was squahing me and i could not breathe.
Anonymous

At the end of the day, the portable ones are much safer imho. Its because they get taken apart and rebuilt all the time that they are so.

It means that all moving parts have to stay well oiled and maintained, and that any problems with the mahcine are seen really early, resulting in less downtime, less cost to fix the problem, and breakdowns being avoided altogether.
allyouwant

Depends which one, the one I went on may have been safe, but I made the mistake of looking down and seeing the guy in charge. I have never been so scared and screamed so much in my life!

easier then a gmtv competition question!
Tweek

The only unsafe aspect of funfairs are all the mindless chav scum that inhabit them. I've been working on the fair on and off for 3 years so far and never experienced any "unsafe" ride problems!
Nick

Was looking at heading up there this year for a visit to the fair. Looks really good and one of the biggest in the country.

Has anybody here been? And would you recommend travelling from Oxford to go to it?
Thomas

It's crap, utter rubbish

No seriously save you money last year they were charging stupid prices for all the rides something like £10 for big ben, plus there's the risk of getting killed of course

I have never been a fan of fairs

:D

Thomas
haydn!

It's not quite that expensive, and this year it's set to be cheaper.

The Showman's Guild have already advertised in the Nottingham Evening Post this week that the maximum price for a ride this year will be £4.00, with the majority being £2-3.00. This does however exclude the Bungee ride's which of course, charge more wherever you go.

Another reason to visit is that Goose Fair is...
[quote=""Nottingham Evening Post""]For them (The Showmans Guild)the Goose Fair is like Wimbledon, the Ashes and the British Grand Prix, all rolled in to one - it's the key event of the fairground calendar[/quote]

The fair attracts all the big rides, rides you rarely see at other fairs across the country and some of which are unique. Take for example, this year's fair has 60 large rides, along with 100's of children's attractions, sideshows and snack stops.

New this year is the UK's tallest travelling ride - Bomber Mack 2, a 55m diving machine (seen here) which stands approx 20 meters taller than Big Ben, the most common tall of the tall travelling rides. Back for more is the Space Roller (newly acquired by James Mellors), River Rapids, and Tango.
BlackHole2006

When Is it on? I might ask my dad if me and him can go there instead of dreamland!

Cheers,
BlackHole2006
This is my dignature. For now.........
caffeine_demon

http://www.nottinghamgoosefair.co.uk/
tells you all you need to know!
haydn!

Started last night (weds 4th October) and is on until Sunday 7th.
altontowerskid

Does anybody know where i would be able to get some fairground music, the kind that all the extreme rides play which are drum & bass remixes and so on.

If anybody knoes any good tunes like this or has got any could they please get in touch.

Thank You
Mankey

The fairground that comes to us sounds like all they do is buy a remix or best of Rave CD and just plonk that on... i wouldnt have thought they have assigned soundtracks :?

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
altontowerskid

Yeah i know many do just have a CD playing but i did hear that the jingles had been placed in the music because the bloke in the control cabin wasn't pressing the jingle buttons but they were added in before, it sounded great.
Anonymous

most of the fairground music you hear get distributed around the fair for a fiver a shot, the old white discs in the plastic sleeve (you know what I mean) :lol:
Jimbo-1991

As its coming up to winter now, its that time of the year when the Theme parks close and the Fairs start popping up. Is anyone this year planning on attending any? Any ride lineups and news? Please Discuss :D