Walt Disney World - Epcot

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Thomas

Has it been on the news yet on TV, im sure Disney are not going to be pleased as surely it will be giving there park a bad name? :D
Lauzi

I would want to go on that ride, but after seeing that report, I might be put off.

TT06, this is not the first instance that somebody has died/been ill because of a rollecoaster. I believe somebody died on a ride at Disney last year, correct me if I'm wrong :? . Also, somebody passed out on Oblivion, but, fortunately didn't die. However, I believe that person had a heart problem, so it didn't give a bad name to AT.
Anonymous

Well, I've been on it and it's a great ride, it is quite intense though. However, before the ride there are loads of warnings like if you have motion sickness don't ride etc. So.I think people should just be more aware
now fly

ive been on mission space and it really givces you alot of G's.
The hole compartment spins round then puts you on your back so all the blood rushes to your head. Its really good but it gives you a nasty chest pain at the end.
now fly

LAUZI SAID:by the way soTT06, this is not the first instance that somebody has died/been ill because of a rollecoaster. I believe somebody died on a ride at Disney last year, correct me if I'm wrong . Also, somebody passed out on Oblivion, but, fortunately didn't die. However, I believe that person had a heart problem, so it didn't give a bad name to AT.
[/quote]

somemebody died on the hollywood tower hotel last year.
AKA: the tower of terror at MGM studios. She died after a heart attack.

GREAT RIDE THOUGH excellent theming.![quote]
Dom1991

Bloody Hell! It's just aswell my family did chicken out at the last minute when we went. This could've been a big mistake for Disney, sure it's a very thrilling thrill ride but surely It's obvious that being put under twice Earth's gravity would cause the body some harm? I sometimes feel quite ill from the Gs pulled during the drop after Nemesis' helix so god knows what might happen if I had gone on that. Disney had best get their finger out, either tame it or close it completely, can parks not face closure if a ride gets too bad a reputation?
Mankey

[quote=""Lauzi""]TT06, this is not the first instance that somebody has died/been ill because of a rollecoaster. I believe somebody died on a ride at Disney last year, correct me if I'm wrong :? [/quote]

Nope youre perfectly correct, a young boy. 4 years old :-( not fair for him

Funny how most of the deaths ive heard about tend to happen at Disneyworld...
Back from hibernation!
Squiggles

The problem is that Disney is going to have problems whatever they do atm. Isn't the whole point of the ride to experiance what an astronaut experiances? If they tame it, the ride looses its point.
Edwardo..... move me!
AstroDan

Any ride which has motion sickness bags, and is causing deaths in this manner, should be tamed down.

There can be no pleasure in going on a ride like that.
oneads

some people are saying its the riders fault for going on, not really, its disneys fault for making it too intense
i cannot stress how many warnings this ride has, it has visuall warning for you to read, visual and sound on the tv screens explaning that it is an intense ride and the bit where the ride op preps you, they ask if anyone wants to get off before they go into the ride loading bays.
they shouldnt tame it down as this is a brilliant ride, you get the best feelings ever on it such as the weightlessness is amazing,
people becoming ill happens often the reason why disney always get mentioned is because there such a big name.
Adam

As i posted in the other topic. . .

[quote=""ME""]I went on this before it was officialy open, and it is very intence! And back then it was even more intence as it's been tammed down since.

It made me very dizzy for a while after and i can see why it would make someone ill. But to kill someone, it must have been their fault. Thye must have had some kind of heart condition or something as the ride itself is perfectly safe, and i will ride it again when i go back end of the year.

My advice, if you have ANY kind of medical condition (and this is a huge warning they give before you get on the ride) then dont ride it![/quote]

It is a good ride, and the fact 2 people have died shouldnt put you off it! It is safe, just very diffrent to anything you would have ever been on. Alot like most of their rides.

Oh and Lauzi, it aint a coaster. . . :wink:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Williscroft

Ive always wanted to go on this ride but now i think even i would be worried about going on it and usualy ill ride anything.

2 people have died now which is showing its not as safe as people thought it was. If you like its a bit like a time bomb as some people dont know about their heart conditions like the boy who first died on it. I think they are making some rides a bit to intense for the human body now.

If i was there now and it was open i would realy be standing there thinking should i or shouldnt i.
Crofty

Mission Space is now Open again :D

As said above, there are MANY warnings about the ride before you get on. I had riden it a year before the child dies and was very cautious abot taking my five year old on. I Felt that as long as my son did what he was told ( not look around, keep his head back) then he would be fine.
He loved the ride and I will be taking him on it again.

The womans autopsy found that she had severe and long-standing high blood pressure.

I think the problem is that people underestimate this ride. People with heart conditions or high blood pressure can see that they won't be able to handle a coaster. After riding all the other 'Tamer' ridfes at Epcot which also have heart/blood warnings on; they may feel that they can also handle M:S.

I don't know what else Disney can do. They give the warnings and people with problems still choose to ride.

:D :D
liam14

I think that it should be kept but more direct and better signs, even if you suffer from travell sickness it sounds so bad! :lol:
Nemesis: 4
Air : 4
Oblivion :3
Corkscrew: 8
Rita :4
Runaway mine train :15

Trips to A.T :14
AstroDan

The problems are, ALL rides have warnings! Peope will ride most rides, and be fine - see the warnings for this and just assume it's like the rest, no?
Lauzi

[quote=""Adäm""]

Oh and Lauzi, it aint a coaster. . . :wink:[/quote]

Shurrup :P
caffeine_demon

I loved the ride - even if it did take an hour to recover!

And you're right about the warnings - they tend to overdo them so much, that you don't pay to much attendtion to them when they are there with good reason,
Mankey

Im sorry, but after reading up about this, no one can get me onto that ride... the thought of sick bags just gives me the creeps (im afraid of sick) Im sorry, but when you vomit, something is wrong with your body and its trying to recover, this cannot be putting you in a good situation... But its worse when people die!
Back from hibernation!
Crofty

To be honest, I think the sick bags serve Two purposes. The first would be for guests who might feel sick on the ride. Feeling sick on a ride doesn't mean that your going to get off and be rushed to hospital, people are sick on rides all the time.
If you are Sick on M:S then its going to be very hard to be cleaned up because you are sat in front of loads of TV screens and a lot of knobs and dials. :P

Secondly I think the sick bags are there as part of the themeing. When you ride, the whole console is as close to being in a shuttle as you would imagine and I think having the sick bags is just another nice touch.

I think the riders just need to think before they ride. If you can handle normal coasters then i'm sure you will be fine. To be fair, if you had Severely High blood pressure then i'm sure you would know about it proir to riding.

Thinking about it some more, I think the only way Disney could stop people riding who maybe shouldn't is to show actual footage of the ride in motion, at the moment they only show computer graphics.

:D :D
Dom1991

Fair comments all of you, but the thing is, my Dad does have high blood pressure but he's been fine on most coasters we've been on so is there a high chance he'd be fine on M:S?