Walt Disney World - Epcot

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Crofty

[quote=""Dom C""]Fair comments all of you, but the thing is, my Dad does have high blood pressure but he's been fine on most coasters we've been on so is there a high chance he'd be fine on M:S?[/quote]

Hmmm thats a tough one. I'f I knew I had High blood pressue then I wouldn't ride.

:) :)
Squiggles

I would say he should read the Ride Info board carefully, but then again if you know you have certain problems, such as blood pressure, I would always read before I ride.

I believe the young boy who died last year died of a previously unknown heart condition, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the same case with this latest fatality. Disney really can't be at fault if a guest has an unknown condition, can they?
Edwardo..... move me!
timmy1372

Dr. Jan Garavaglia, Orange-Osceola chief medical examiner says, Hiltrud Bluemel, 49, also had severe, long-standing high blood pressure.

Previously a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy died in June on the ride. The autopsy in that case determined he died of a heart condition that a medical examiner said could cause sudden death in stressful situations.

make your own mind up but the 49 year old woman had SEVERE high blood pressure and the child had a heart condition already unfortunately found out by this ride.

I would say letting a 4 year old boy on this was not sensible but the rest is fine, i really want a ride on this still, im not a 49 year old woman with a severe heart condition plus anything you do has a small element of risk even going for a walk.

Theme park accident and deaths rates are incredibly low, safer than doing DIY at home, things like this get blown out of proportion and threaten the building of future extreme rides such as even the likes of Nemesis and Oblivion.

If you ignore the safety signs its at your own risk, if the signs dont apply to you its one of the safests things you can do for a day out.

Some stats for you, American ones mind.

the numbers: Each year in this country, 335 million people go on 1.5 billion park rides. On average, two people have died in each of the past 10 years, according to the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions.

That equates to roughly 20 people in about 15 billion rides. I'm no statistician, but an association spokeswoman tells me that's not a bad record.
luke_1012

correct me if im wrong but when mission space first opened it used to do 3Gs then people didnt start to go on so they tamed it down to 2Gs
Nutty dreadz

correct me if im wrong but when mission space first opened it used to do 3Gs then people didnt start to go on so they tamed it down to 2Gs
:-? Mmmmm, not too sure on the exact numbers on the G's, but when i went on it in 2005, my mate told me that it had already been tamed down since it first opened, so yeah you could be half right.

Personally I think it needs taming again!. I've been fine on all sorts of spinning rides, and I love em to bits, but when I went on Mission Space, I did come off feeling pretty poorly, lets leave it at that! :D . Nah, i weren't sick or anything, but i felt it for a bit!

But guess thats my opinion eh! All in all though, as usual, Disney have done their best to create a well themed ride, the way its all done is brill (apart from the themed sick bags!) LOL
Anonymous

I went on this ride last year and felt fine most of the way through. Only problem being all through the preride build up there was warnings not to look round. But instead of making me not do this I was curious as to why it was so important not to look to the side so about 3/4 the way through I did and :oops: was it a mistake. Couldn't wait to get off felt so bad. But i would definately ride again but would also definately not look round again and I would advise anyone else to heed the warnings!
CGM

Let's not forget that more people go to Disney Parks (I think) than any other park so the death toll is bound to appear worse than most parks. 2Gs can't be that bad can it? I mean Enterprise must pull at least 2 Gs at the bottom so that it maintains at least 1 G at the top. But it may more consistant. I presume that enterprise is simular, what does Mission: Space do?
Phil

It's not so much the G's, just the violent movements.

I loved the ride and I was fine after riding it. There are plenty of warnings and the two deaths were due to the people having medical conditions. They could have gone on any ride and died, it just so happened that they both went on MI.
Coasternut

Obviously the bad PR from two deaths has got to disney! I hope this doesn't cause too many arguements amongst riders as to which setting they want, can imagine it now. :P

http://www.local6.com/news/9148771/detail.html
LiamC

I was just wondering, how many people wpuld actually ride this ride now all this has happened?
i know people have said they wouldnt but who would?
i would. . .it must be an experience!
Liam =)
timmy1372

[quote=""liam_123123""]I was just wondering, how many people wpuld actually ride this ride now all this has happened?
i know people have said they wouldnt but who would?
i would. . .it must be an experience!
Liam =)[/quote]

I'm game sounds good, best free advert for a ride that the park didnt have to pay for :lol:
Marky Moo

[quote=""CGM""]Let's not forget that more people go to Disney Parks (I think) than any other park so the death toll is bound to appear worse than most parks. 2Gs can't be that bad can it? I mean Enterprise must pull at least 2 Gs at the bottom so that it maintains at least 1 G at the top. But it may more consistant. I presume that enterprise is simular, what does Mission: Space do?[/quote]

Lets not forget the ratio of people riding it to the people dying on it. 2 people against, I dunno. 5 million?
Mankey

[quote=""CGM""]Let's not forget that more people go to Disney Parks (I think) than any other park so the death toll is bound to appear worse than most parks. 2Gs can't be that bad can it? I mean Enterprise must pull at least 2 Gs at the bottom so that it maintains at least 1 G at the top. But it may more consistant. I presume that enterprise is simular, what does Mission: Space do?[/quote]

well apparently, it spins round like enterprise and sometime through the ride it tips backwards to all the blood rushes to your head... not my style of entertainment
Back from hibernation!
CGM

CGM wrote:
Let's not forget that more people go to Disney Parks (I think) than any other park so the death toll is bound to appear worse than most parks. 2Gs can't be that bad can it? I mean Enterprise must pull at least 2 Gs at the bottom so that it maintains at least 1 G at the top. But it may more consistant. I presume that enterprise is simular, what does Mission: Space do?

Lets not forget the ratio of people riding it to the people dying on it. 2 people against, I dunno. 5 million?
Yes, that's exactly the point I was trying to make
John

Just noticed the stats earlier in this thread, an average of 2 deaths a year on rides, that means that mission space is responcible for 20% of all ride deaths. Thats pretty significant, if one person dies on a ride then it may be just an extremely unfortunate isolated insident. Once there is a second death on the same ride however it seems to me that there is a problem, the ride needs changing or removing or at the very least people must be made more aware of the potential risks, as they seem much higher than any other ride.
Anonymous

Now to be fair, I do have a heart problem (Some of the older members may remember hearing about the 'Switch operation' perfomed at Bristol in 1988) well I had the same kind of operation but in Birmingham Children's Hospital and have gone on every ride at Alton Towers. If I were to go on this M:S would I come off it in tact?

P.S. Nope, I generally don't read warnings on rides hence Oblivion and Nemesis, not forgetting RITA!
timmy1372

[quote=""GameOn""]Now to be fair, I do have a heart problem (Some of the older members may remember hearing about the 'Switch operation' perfomed at Bristol in 1988) well I had the same kind of operation but in Birmingham Children's Hospital and have gone on every ride at Alton Towers. If I were to go on this M:S would I come off it in tact?

P.S. Nope, I generally don't read warnings on rides hence Oblivion and Nemesis, not forgetting RITA![/quote]

But thats the risk you take and have taken already, all rides are different anyway in how they deliver there forces, you know the warnings are there and you make the decision.
Stobart Stopper

Excellent ride, we have trouble getting our son on these things sometimes but he loved this one.
Rollercoaster 4 Life

[quote=""RCTFAN""]Then i cant remeber the rest but you enter a huge room and get into these little 4-seater pods. Each seat has a different responsibility, the pilot, engineer, and 2 others i cant remmeber lol. Then the door is closed and the seats lean in towards the controls.[/quote]

The four responsibilities are, Pilot, Engineer, Navigator and Commander. Also, don't the controls come towards the seats ? :lol:

I rode it May 2005. I thought it was a good simulator, and when simulating the launch, i didn't feel like i was spinning round in a pod lol. Also I kept looking around at my family while on the ride, and I never got disitorentated (dont try it, just incase.) Anyways, this is a good simulator, and I would say that it is worth at least one ride on Mission:Space.
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!
Ash

I am looking forward to seeing the best florida has to offer later this year. Is the throughput goon on Mission Space?