Walt Disney World - Epcot

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Anonymous

I went on it in 2004, it was intense, but how did people die? And there are a million warnings.
I wouldn't not go on it because of these tragedies
altontowerskid

I've been to Orlando once a few years back but when i went i dont think this new ride Soarin' ws there. I have looked at videos of the ride and still dont get what the ride is.

Does anybody know what ride is it. Is it a simulator and if so, is it 360 degrees?

Please can anyone give me info on this ride. :D
Sir John Talbot

Well, I've ridden the original at Disneyland Resort Anaheim, so I'll tell you about that:

Basically, the ride is a simulator. An absolutley fantastic one at that. You enter a room that is initially quite dark, so you can't see much, and board a seat within 2 sets of 3 rows. These are held from above, so you feat dangle. These rows and chairs then move upwards and forwards so that you all have a view of a huge, curved screen. It is not 390, but is large and circular, and is basically ment to compliment your natural vision when you see things. The film then starts, and basically the huge screen makes it so you feel like you are sweeping and soaring through various idyllic American scenic locations, supposedly in a handglider. It realy does feel like you are gently floating by lakes and mountains and such, you can feel like you are gonig slower and faster, and with each scene wind and cold temperatures and such accompany. And at the finale it takes you sweeping into Disneyland, with fireworks, and tinkerbell floating past :D.

Wow, gives me goose-bumps thinking about it... and makes me so nostalgic of my holidays to Disneyland. Absolutley amazing ride. Really is, especially for a foreigner, it just sums up the great holiday destination you are at beautifully. A must ride!
Liam

Yeah, it's a fantastic ride, not very thrilling, but very awe-inspiring indeed. At Epcot queues seem to build up to 2 hours or more even minutes after the park opens! Trick is to get a fastpass for it - the queue when I was there at 9am had jumped from 2 hours up to 4 hours just in the time I was getting my fastpass ticket!
Crofty

The front row ride is not as good as it could be, when you are lifted up you end up being at the top of the screen so you can see a lot more of the curve, still good but not as good as the centre I expect.
If people take photos it also ruins the effect, why anyone would need to take photos of a tv screen is beyond me lol.
I believe the film at WDW is going to change to one around Florida soonh, at the moment they are/were still using the same film as Disneyland Ca

:D :D
Dagan

rode it a couple of days ago.... might go ride it again in a couple :)

Great ride... very clever use of tech.
Danzaw*nk

Soarin' is good but i wouldnt queue any more than 30 mins for it. Not very re-rideable IMO but a good first ride. Anybody going to Florida soon - lucky, i doubt the queues will be big. Busch Gardens was a walk on for most things.

I think i know the answer but how does it work if you are in the 2nd or 3rd row - we were in the front?

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Crofty

The rows move foraward and lift up so if you were at the front you would be at the top of the screen, second row end up underneath you and the third at the bottom.

:D :D
amcmaster1

Hey i came across this on youtube. It is a ride at Disney's Epcot called Gran Fiesta Tour

Take a look at the ride videos, i think it was a lot better without Donald Duck what does everyone else think? Especially seeing as Ecpot is not full of Disney cartoon characters i just though the original was more real.

Original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j37uAZX5MY

Rethemed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBigW8HW ... re=related[/url]
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean
Ollie

[quote=""amcmaster1""]

Rethemed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBigW8HW ... re=related[/url][/quote]

Invalid Parameters :? Not allowing me too view the Video of the re-themed Ride.

I have been on the 'original' and enjoyed it. Adding Donald Duck though...? I thought the point of this Ride was the present Mexican Culture, and adding Donald Duck isn't really the best way to do this.

It would be like adding Mickey Mouse in the Maelstrom Boat Ride in the Norway themed area :P
Squiggles

[quote=""Ollie""]Adding Donald Duck though...? I thought the point of this Ride was the present Mexican Culture, and adding Donald Duck isn't really the best way to do this.
[/quote]

It works in a kind of twisted Disney way due to the The Three Caballeros a 1940s film starring Donald Duck that celebrated (?!?!?) Mexican culture.

Admittedly I saw this film a few weeks ago and it's one of the most condescending films I think I've ever seen, as it manges to simultaneously degrade Mexico and women, and all in the name of children's entertainment. It's major recurring message being that one of the main reasons to go to Mexico is for all the hotties... and boy does Donald like those hotties!!

I did think the world had moved on a tad since then and saw the film more of a throwback to antiquated views of past times... but apparently Disney still feel this is an accurate view of Mexico... nice.
Edwardo..... move me!
Ollie

Ahh, I haven't seen the Film.

:)

Sounds like typical Disney though :P
Dagan

Having done both the original and rethemed versions, I will admit the new one is a little cheesy.... but it works. Really enjoyable ride.

The original version was getting tatty and starting to look dated. The retheme has helped a lot.
amcmaster1

Sorry some people couldn't access the links i did test them and they still work for me - but is there a better way to post them?

Although i agree that the re-theme appears to have freshened up the ride, i just felt that it would have been better if they had kept the same theme and just built on that. After all epcot is more about experiencing different culture and the three amigos just make it more of a joke.
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean
Chris W

The main reason for Disney adding Donald and the other parrots (or whatever) was to add a bit more popularity to the ride (especially among children). The old version was boring and I doubt the queue's were large (probably still not very large now after the change).

The new version still stands true to the old ride with the projection technology used. I'm sure that the refurbishment was a cheap fix to a ride which needed some work.

Surprisingly, even the Disney uber-fans where mildly pleased with the changes.
Dee4leeds

I'm not surprised! :lol:

Maybe Donald Duck is Mexican?
AltonThorpe

Is it me, or is Epcot really fascinating! I know it doesn't have many rides but I just love it, all the rides that it does have are good and it just has that special feeling. I love all the countries and the music is great and very catchy. I have started this topic to see other peoples views on my favourite Disney park. :D
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
Chris W

Many people say that its the boring Disney park but there is nothing like it in the rest of the world.

The mixture of cultures, the epic rides in future world and of course Illuminations: Reflectiosn fo Earth.

I love it but there are so many things they could do in the park for the future.
BIan

Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow.

One of my favorite parks in Florida.

Test Track and Mission Space are fantastic rides, and the different countries make it a really interesting day out. Plenty of other attractions to keep you busy.

A must if you visit Florida.

Ian
Ollie

I think Epcot radiates such a wonderful atmosphere. Which is especially enhanced through the beautiful setting and the fireworks display - which is amongst the best I have ever seen.