Walt Disney World - Epcot

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Mitchell

Hi

Has anyone been on Mission: SPACE at Disney World Florida's Epcot? It's just that three people have told me they hated it, but as I've never been on it I want to go on it. Can anybody tell me what it's like because I am thinking of riding it in March 06.

Thanks

Mitchell 8)
RCTFAN

yeh i went on August last year (2004)

i'll give you a brief from what i remeber......

Okay so you walk into the middle of epcot and it is opposite testrack on the left. The building is just gorgeous, i have never seen anything like it! The queue is a bit decieving though as it is hiden amongst it's curvy shell.......when you actually get in the building there is a lot to look at including a replica space buggy, etc. then as you get towards the end their are pictures on a wall that run parallel to the queue. Basically it depicts mankinds effort of space exploration. so you have the moon landing, etc but towards the end they have 'fake' ones such as the first family in space, etc which is funny.

then you get split up into groups and sent into a room for the briefing. there are either 4 or 6 rooms so the throughput on this ride is actually quite good, just that loads of people go on it so it may seem like ages :o

anywho you meet gary sinise (sp?) and he tells you whats going down. Then i cant remeber the rest but you enter a huge room and get into these little 4-seater pods. each seat has a different responsibility, the pilot, engineer, and 2 others i cant remmeber lol. Then the door is closed and the seats lean in towards the controls.

then the ride starts......spinning! that's right the simulated launch is given it's effect by spinning the pods and lifting them up in the air (imagine hex on i'ts side where you only raise a little bit)

then as you go through the ride you are asked (depending on your role) to press buttons and such when you are needed to, which is a great little touch.

then its the end and you enter throught the shop.

In really enjoyed it and it is a great ride but with all the bad press it is getting recently might put a lot of people off. Don't be mislead though, it is well worth at least 1 ride!
Gax

[quote=""Mitchell""]
March 06.
[/quote]
nothing like a bit of forward planning eh.

Its a bit overrated but its a reet good experience the first time you ride it. I thought it would be a bit more interactive than it is though.
SW-Dave

Old and dated and a bit of a yawnfeswt IMO. other than laughing at how alarmingly wrong people in the 60's were about the curent age, theres little to this ride.
Mitchell

^Oh, so different opinions I guess! :shock:
themeparkdude

I have been on it. Very realistic. I have never been in space unfortunatly, but I think that how is it woulod be like.
Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

loop_the_loop

Basic form the ride is a gravity spinner i.e. ex- Millenium Bug at Blackpool, or even enterprise at AT but inward facing seats.
.........Chance favours the prepared mind..........
SW-Dave

[quote=""Mitchell""]^Oh, so different opinions I guess! :shock:[/quote]

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

actually ive realised im getting my rides mixed up...Ignore me
Dagan

[quote=""SW-Dave""]Old and dated and a bit of a yawnfeswt IMO. other than laughing at how alarmingly wrong people in the 60's were about the curent age, theres little to this ride.[/quote]

Its only been open a year or 2.

Are you thinking of Horizons? The ride which Mission:Space replaced.

That was old and dated, but had an interesting ride system. (Think Haunted House, but the tracks above your head)

EDIT: http://www.therideworks.com/mac_gal.php - The Mission:Space ride system manufacturers gallery.
Mitchell

^Wow good link, thanks Dagan!
Anonymous

Mission SPACE is a great ride - one of epcots only thrill rides!! Just make sure you listen to the safety instructions and dont look around you or you will become disoriented!!
ShadowTD

*Very* true - I looked sideways at my Dad and felt decidedly ill for about 20 minutes.

But by then, we were on Test Track :D

Make sure you've seen Mission to Mars before you go on Mission:Space. A lot of the graphic design and look of the film has been carried to this ride. And Gary Sinese.
Mitchell

Thanks for the help everyone :)
Adam

I went on Mission: Space when it was having soft openings in 2004. Back then it was alot more intence than it is now. A few people have become ill from riding and someone had a heart attack so it has now been tamed down.

Its a good ride, but i wouldnt suggest riding if you suffer from even mild motion sickness!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
ashayling

I went on it twice. It was ok and the best simulator I have been on.
Gary S

I rode it a few times on a visit to Florida last year - it has to be the best simulator ride I have been on. The sense of realism is fantastic and the images used on the displays are superb. It is done with a centrifuge but at no point did I ever feel I was spinning.

A friend of mine however did make the mistake of turning his head mid-ride and he soon wished he hadn't, so my only advice is to adhear to the warnings they give you about keeping your eyes open and your head back at all times (except blinking of course!) and do not turn your head during the ride. I would also say this is certainly not a ride for those that suffer with claustrophobia, as you are very much enclosed with the screen right in front of your face. There is air-con which does help though.
A frown is a SMILE turned upside down...
Alex.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/artic ... 04&ncid=NW

Second death in under a year. I think Disney should seriously Consider making it tamer, if not closing it.
Mankey

Ok that has put me entirely off that ride... Is it that violent?!
Back from hibernation!
themeparkfreak

same here Mankey, my friend has ridden it and she said it was horrible, almost to intense, Disney need to do something about it.
Mankey

some people are saying its the riders fault for going on, not really, its disneys fault for making it too intense, ive been reading about it, apparently lots and lots of people are coming off vomiting, apparently theyve installed sick bags on the ride, that is NOT a good sign
Back from hibernation!