Six Flags Magic Mountain

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Martin182

well there will be no 500ft coaster just yet so need to worry about it! :P
Anonymous

New thrill ride to speed, swoop in sky
'Dragon' coaster to rise at park
By Eugene Tong, Staff Writer

VALENCIA - A red-and-yellow steel dragon intended to break the roller-coaster mold at Magic Mountain will open in time to celebrate the park's 35th anniversary, officials said Wednesday.
Dubbed Tatsu, a Japanese word for "dragon," the park's 17th coaster is expected to open in the spring. When completed, it will launch thrill-seekers on a 3-minute ride that reaches speeds of 62 mph and boasts a 111-foot drop. Riders will be strapped in horizontally on their stomachs to simulate flying under the dragon.

"We are the thrill park, and we are known for coasters," said Sue Carpenter, spokeswoman for Magic Mountain at Six Flags California, Valencia. The new one, designed by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard, is among the "largest capital investments in recent years" at the park, she said.

Tatsu's 3,602 feet of track winds around the area's hilly terrain, even dodging nearby attractions such as the Revolution roller coaster and the landmark Sky Tower along the way.

"It'll be going around the mountain terrain of Six Flags," Carpenter said. "It just adds a new dimension to it," she said - unlike a new ride built on an isolated site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The artice alos had some stats:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Mountain's Tatsu

Speed: 62 mph

Height: 170 feet

Elevation change: 263 feet

Track length: 3,602 feet

First drop: 111 feet

Inversions: 4

124-foot pretzel loop

103-foot flat spin

96-foot-tall zero-gravity roll

360-degree in-line roll over Revolution ride

Ride time: 3 minutes

Capacity: 1,600 riders per hour

Source: Magic Mountain

It looks like SFMM are building the best flyer yet! I can't wait as im planning on going to LA next year!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Sounds very nice! VERY nice.

After my trip to SFMM I've seen where it's going to be and I must say it is on the better part of SFMM, with a theme, and shrouded in woodland!

Can't see it being better than Air though, sorry :P.
SilverSky

I can. It's so bright though, but those dives THROUGH the trees- that's cool.

Oh btw I didn't see this topic.

-Andrew
Anonymous

Aboard the wings of TATSU, experience flight at speeds in excess of 62 miles-per-hour through a series of “butterflies-in-your-stomach” plunges, huge sweeping spirals, stomach wrenching loops and sharp dives, high speed banked curves deliberately designed to enhance the ultimate sensation of flight. With more than 3,602 feet of blazing red, orange and yellow twisted steel track barely visible intertwined through the mountainside, TATSU'S intense three-and-a-half minute flight faces a dramatic 263-foot change in elevation from its highest peak to inches off the ground and spans four separate areas of the Park.

Video:
http://streams.sixflags.com/video/nov1605/tatsu_300.wmv

Please move topic!
Luke excell

will this coaster by any chance lead to the removal of ninja or is ninja futher away i forget
Anonymous

Looks like one heck of a coaster! Wish i would get the chance to go to LA. Maybe i will get to in the future. Am going to Florida next year for the first time so that will be fun.
Anonymous

[quote=""Luke excell""]will this coaster by any chance lead to the removal of ninja or is ninja futher away i forget[/quote]

Nope Ninja will be staying! It will also be reciving new trains for the 2006 season!
Rollercoaster 4 Life

Sounds a great coaster, can people post on any updates or pictures :) cheers

Tatsu-Fly At The Speed Of Fear is a great name and slogan, well done Six Flags :!:
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!
Anonymous

Actually it does seem rather good, for SFMM!!! Judging from the logo (of all things :roll:) it could actually have some themeing like back in the good old days of Batman: The Ride and Gotham City!

I really hope so, because overall experience comes second to non, and themeing is a substantial part of creating such an experience.

Anyone got any pictures of plans/track ect?
Anonymous

Grrrr, it annoys me how magic montain have everything :P
Wish Magic Mountain was in Florida! Those pics are cool, nice one
Anonymous

[quote=""JerMain.e""]Actually it does seem rather good, for SFMM!!! Judging from the logo (of all things :roll:) it could actually have some themeing like back in the good old days of Batman: The Ride and Gotham City!

I really hope so, because overall experience comes second to non, and themeing is a substantial part of creating such an experience.

Anyone got any pictures of plans/track ect?[/quote]

Erm. look above!

This will meep all over Air and we all know it.
Word has it TP will be reciving a flyer for 2008 so you never know.

Anonymous

Oooh, oops. Darn AOL :P.

Meh, I intensity doesn't make a ride IMO. The whole experience is what makes rides stand-out from others, and Air is a unqiue experience from start to finish... but how knows :). And Thorpe flyer = the most rediculous, stupid, awful ide I have ever, ever thought. Someone even mentioned of a layout the same as Air. They're taking the p*** now, but yeah, Tatsu :P...
Anonymous

Why would a flyer at TP be bad?
John

I certainly wouldn't complain about another flyer in the UK, just as long as it has a more tasteful colour scheme than Tatsu's!
barryzola

Wow, that looks brilliant! I would love to ride that. I think a few people might lose consciousness and stuff though. Thats all part of the fun though eh?
stokywolf

It certainly does look good, But why have a Japanese named ride in an area called Valencia?
Also about the "where else!" Firstly i point out bad punctuation and secondly to answer that question how about every other six flags :lol: .

Im sure the ride will be one of the best rides at the park when its built, the "diving" in and out of trees bit sounds very tempting. I like that!
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Anonymous

[quote=""Thirst""]Why would a flyer at TP be bad?[/quote]

Not one coaster they have installed has been any bit "unique". Even Collossos is just a development of another ride, and their other 2 compromises of other coasters. They need to get some originality in their park, as their attempts are beggining to become rather laugable.

But yeah, Tatsu.