When the Secret Weapons have gone...

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
JustWill

I was wondering...
What would AT be like without Nemesis or Oblivion?
Would you still visit?
What would replace them?
Would AT ever be the same again?
What would happen to the Nemesis pit?
So many questions... :lol
Sr88

Without Nemesis or Oblivion? In all honesty I reckon pretty similar to now just with something else there to rave about :D

Of course one would still visit :) It's Alton Towers!

What would happen to the Nemesis pit? I reckon it would get filled in and something new would go on top. Or maybe something else would be built to go perfectly in that space!

What about when The Smiler is no more?
Burniel

What would AT be like without Nemesis or Oblivion? - We would be raving about the rides that took their place. The past section will be fit to burst with messages about Nemesis and Oblivion, and the present section will have loads of messages about the latest additions.

Would you still visit? - Of course I would. I can't see a situation like this arising for at least 30-40 years, so I would be a lot older, but I'd still go (if I could afford the £100PP ticket price)

What would replace them? - I'd LIKE to see new coasters on all of their sites, with the exception of Oblivion, where I would hope for a few large flats (with another coaster elsewhere).

Would AT ever be the same again? - It would of course be different, but it would still be magical. 2 popular coasters have been replaced in the past 10 years (Black Hole and Corkscrew), and have brought us new rides like 13 and The Smiler. I think it would be sad at the time, but life goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if they launched a whole new ride building "system".

What would happen to the Nemesis pit? - There's no point filling it in, as it was only there in the first place because of the height restrictions. I'd probably make it larger, then put a woodie in it.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
tallicay2k

Will be some big space for some more toilet facilites I reckon don't ya think? :)
Gotta love the toilet facilities, put some Dyson air blades in n I'd certainly wait 30mins for that.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Sr88

And actually clean them every now and then and I might even use them! ;)

To be fair the toilets at Alton Towers aren't too bad, but they could be better.
Morgan

I would like to see the main part of each ride put on TS like Corkie. It could be-
Nemesis: vertical loop
Oblivion: drop piece
Air: fly-to-lie
TH13TEEN: track drop
The Smiler: staffordshire knot (if it would fit)
stealthsmiler

I don't think the rest are significant enough for that. Corky got that as it was AT's first coaster, the coaster that turned AT into a theme park. The others are significant in the fact that most are worlds first but not significant enough for the park.
lucozade

U know. Alton Towers toilets are TERRIBLE, not a nice place at all. They could do with being luxuriously done up a bit if they expect me to pay £1k a night to stay & play in a tree house.

After I rode smiler & nemesis back go back. It did feel a little dated. It needs a retheme!!! Hahahaha
Themeparksandy1981

Well I doubt I be still going to theme parks after all the secret weapons have been removed.
KoasterKraver

What is Alton Towers without its most famous rides?
A large piece of grass (and gardens) (and trees) (and lakes) (etc.) with towers.
Adam.W

KoasterKraver wrote:What is Alton Towers without its most famous rides?
A large piece of grass (and gardens) (and trees) (and lakes) (etc.) with towers.
...and rita :lol
stealthsmiler

TBH it wont affect people that much. The rides will phase out and be replaced by new ones and it will all feel normal. yes we will miss them however I'm hoping when they go, everyone will be ready for them to go. It would feel weird if AT removed every coaster at once and replaced them however as they will be phased out - it will be normal. No different to when Corky was removed and 13 came in. (I'd say Black Hole and The Smiler but really the only thing we lost with the introduction of the Smiler was a tent given that Black Hole was closed years before)
Ryan.B

As long as the code name is kept, there will always be secret weapons until Alton closes, or all the rides go, if they don't call the new coasters secret weapons it will still be quite a long time before hey have gone :)
stealthsmiler

Morgan wrote:I would like to see the main part of each ride put on TS like Corkie. It could be-
Nemesis: vertical loop
Oblivion: drop piece
Air: fly-to-lie
TH13TEEN: track drop
The Smiler: staffordshire knot (if it would fit)
If I was honest i don't like this idea. I think it would make TS look cluttered and messy and I think the parts would look out of place. Plus it would detract from Corky which looks really good in the entrance.

However I would love to see Alton Towers open up a heritage/history area. This could be outside the theme park and be its ow attraction with maybe a small entry fee (of a couple of pounds). It would be something extra for hotel guests to do and could even be open for a couple of hours after the park closes for guests to go in after they visit. This would feature not only the SWs but the history of all of Alton Towers, starting with the towers themselves. This could then extend into an area for the theme park with pictures, and videos (eg POV's). They could have items such as one of Oblivions shuttles when it leaves, an old Nemesis sign, merchandise displayed, some of the tester seats from outside the rides (maybe with a professional photo op which would then be some extra income). Maybe have a dedicated cinema room giving 10/15 minute videos of the history. There could also then be a gift shop selling old merch (for example when Nemmy goes, it could continue to sell Nemmy hoodies. There could be a cafe also decorated to AT for example, an outdoor seating area with old Flumes as plant pots. Then to top it all off, there could be a simulator which follows the course of old rides. I have been on one in Bridlington, years ago. It was my way of trying to see what the rides were like that I couldn't yet ride due to height restrictions. This would then generate extra income as I am sure people would pay a small fee to ride it.

I think if done right, it could be amazing. Plus it would become an educational visit for schools.
Themeparksandy1981

The park's biggest challenge will be to see what coaster/ride will replace the Nemesis.
xylyx

Very true, Nemesis is one of the cores of the AT park, they would need to think long and hard before replacing it.