RollerCoaster Tycoon World

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
JaykeAT

A new update:

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/roll ... n-blog-13/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adam.W

I like the sound of modding the game :) So I guess they have been taking a fair amount of fan input, which is good news :)
stealthsmiler

I would like it if they could have a site where CSO, CTR and CFRs are approved by the game makers before they publish them. That way people who download them can be reassured that they are high quality sets. There are loads with RCT3 that aren't very good, but some which drastically improve on what the game has to offer. So it would be nice if there was a site that filtered out the bad for people - unless they start bringing out add on packs like The Sims does, in which case they wont support good sets that compete with their own.
Adam.W

I'd like it if you could almost publish CTR or something, and have a CTR maker in game. They could have a big list of fan made CTR and have a select few made approved ones, kinda like custum made races in GTA V where some are approved by the creators of the game.
stealthsmiler

Some info here.

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/?page_id=456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FEATURES

Powerful Building Tools:

Freeform Object Placement: Control and place every single in-game object anywhere on the map at any angle. For our more casual users we are also providing ‘snap-to’ and ‘brush’ placement functionality to make this enhancement easy to use.
Curved Paths: Select your unique type of path from a variety of widths, styles, and shapes. You can make them straight or, for the first time in the franchise, curve them at almost any angle!
Innovative 3D Track Editor: Create the coolest and wildest coasters imaginable with our best track editor ever! For the first time, using our spline based editor, tracks can be fully manipulated in 3D allowing you to create any shape you can dream up.
Fully Deformable Terrain and Water: Build amazing rides and change your park’s landscape in full 3D with completely deformable terrain and water.
Expansive Selection of In-Game Objects: Entertain your park guests with many different types of coasters and rides all in eye-popping next generation resolution. Choose from pre-made rides and coasters to scenery and shops.
Expansive Customization Support:

UGC Tools: For the first time, you will be able to create your own scenery, peeps and more in any 3D editing program that works with Unity and import it into the game for everyone to use!
Multiple Maps and Themes: Choose from different environments and theme options to make each map unique.
Fully Realized Next-Generation Simulation:

Detailed Park Management Tools: Run a successful theme park with the beautifully crafted User Interface that provides easy access to all of your park management tools. From park finances to the thoughts of your guests, everything is at your fingertips including new features – heat maps and tips.
Multiple Game Modes: Play the way you want in Sandbox mode, or complete varying challenges and quests in Scenario and Campaign modes.
Responsive Environments + Guests: Create themed zones in your park! Placing different themed rides and objects will affect not only ratings but increase its attractiveness to certain peeps.
Advanced Physics Calculations: The coasters in RCTW use a more complex physics simulation than any previous game in the franchise. This allows for amazing designs and a lifelike riding experience. Build a coaster that stays perfectly on its tracks or teeters on the brink of disaster; just be careful or your coaster may jump the rails!
Ride Every Coaster: Hop into the front seat of a coaster and ride what you made yourself!
Innovative Services: Manage your park’s medical, janitorial, entertainment and mechanical needs with the re-designed, simple-yet-powerful services system.
Native Sharing and Social Features:

Social Media Integration: Share all your cool creations and designs with your friends straight from within the game!
Freeform Cameras: Take a video at any angle; edit your park above, below, or next to a ride. Prefer an isometric view? We have that too!
Friend’s Lists and Stat Comparisons: See what your Steam and Social friends are up to in their games from within yours! It’s easy to see someone’s latest coaster or when they last edited their park.
Visit a Friend: Check out a friend’s park with a simple click! Chat with them and give them suggestions on what to do next while you’re there.
Native Steam Workshop Support: Native Steam Workshop support is built right in the game! The interface has been simplified and centralized to make it easy for anyone from casual to hardcore to use. Custom scenery, blueprinted coasters, parks and more can be easily and seamlessly shared from within the game. UGC has been designed to be accessible and easy to use for everyone.
GENERAL INFORMATION

Genre: Simulation, Strategy
Platforms: Windows, Linux + SteamOS
Publisher: RCTO Productions / Atari
Developer: Nvizzio Creations
Release Date: Q4 2015
Modes: Single-player
Languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, Simplified Chinese, Danish, Polish, Portuguese-Brazil, and Russian
stealthsmiler

Sorry to double post however I didnt want to create one long massive post. Its been up a while since it was released however seen as it hasnt been posted on here I though I would. Heres Blog 14
Dear Fans,

This week I’ll be doing things a bit differently on the blog. To give you more insight into our development process, I’ve invited one of our senior artists from Nvizzio, Steph, to write a guest blog on the method applied by the art team to go from a concept to a full in-game object. It’s a revealing behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to create coasters, rides, and other assets you’ll be interacting with. It should also give you, aspiring content creators, some inspiration to one day make your own RCTW game assets to share with the world via the Steam Workshop.

But before I hand over the reins of this week’s blog, here’s a quick update on the status of production. The whole team is working hard to finish a build of the game in preparation for Gamescom, which we’ll be showing to press next week. The art team has finished up work on more coasters and tracks – one of which will be featured in our next big “hero shot” reveal. And lastly, the community team has been busy working on our website refresh, and just yesterday launched the newly redone forums. We’ll have much more information and news on RCTW after Gamescom, so be on the lookout!

Now without further delay, here’s Steph to offer us a behind-the-scenes peek into the development work of RollerCoaster Tycoon World!

Best,
Mattlab
Atari Executive Producer
Team RCTW

Below RCTW Guest Blog By
“Hello everyone! I’m Steph, one of the senior artists at Nvizzio and RCTW. Today I wanted to talk about Flat Rides. As you know, flat rides are the stepping stones towards a beautiful park. They are pre-built, ready-to-go attractions that most of you will use for your first park income. We want to share how those Flat Rides are made and show you how things are done here at the studio. Flat Rides offer the perfect opportunity to display our process from conception and ideation to final product. We’ll use the Twister ride as an example.
Twister Ride: Concept Art

The Concept Phase

It all begins with our team of concept artists, who develop ideas from a photo reference and use that to sketch a complete piece of concept art. Before setting pen to tablet, they research real-world rides and note details like mechanisms, ride capacity, and materials. At the studio, we have documentation on the measurements of real rides from around the world, to be as close as possible to reality while keeping our unique RCT style. Once they have drawn an initial concept (in the case of the Twister this includes the cars, supports, control booth, lights, and other mechanisms) they then compare their drawing against the standard sizes of other park assets like peeps, paths, and coasters to ensure proper sizing and proportions. With that, we now have a complete concept ready for the next phase of the art pipeline. At this point, the artists meet with the rest of the team to have everything approved before we model it in 3D.

Twister Ride: 3D Rendering

Making the 3D Model

The concept art of the Twister is now given to us 3D artists who will make a model using software such as 3DS MAX and ZBrush. As seen in the picture above, the model is completely un-textured and allows us to see it in 3D space for the first time. It’s amazing to see the transformation from 2D art to full 3D, and often times we find ourselves adding additional little details at this stage to make the asset more realistic and polished.

Next, the models must be unwrapped and baked before we can begin texturing (this is what gives everything its color and realistic feel). The artists create their textures or pulls them from an internal texture bank for things like concrete, wood, and steel materials. We use themed palettes according to each ride’s tone to ensure coherence. This is actually one of the most time-intensive parts of the process, since it’s extremely important to make sure everything looks like it’s made from actual real-world materials. It is also the stage at which we make sure our creations match the general theme, colors, sizes, and feel of the rest of the game.

During this stage, we also pull the 3D model into Unity, which allows us to see the models in the park, for the first time. Once the texture and model have been approved, it’s ready to be animated.
This process will be comparable to what we will offer with UGC, allowing you to take a file from a 3D editing program and convert it into something the game can recognize.

Twister Ride: Textured and in Unity 5

Animation
Where our concept artists and 3D modelers create the ride, the animators make it come to life. Already at concept stage, they start the process by researching how the ride should move and react to peeps. Their research involves watching videos of real rides and recreating the movement in 3D, and sometimes even visiting real-life themeparks to understand how the rides actually work (don’t we all wish we had this job!).

Animating starts with rigging. This is where we create a skeleton for the 3D model, allowing it to be manipulated in 3DS Max or Maya. Once a model is rigged, the animator creates the different sets of the ride’s animations that will be used by the engine.

The Final Phase – Integration

Now with the model, texture, and animations ready, the artists work with our programmers to implement the Twister ride into the game. We doublecheck everything by placing the ride in the game, cycling through the animations for one last look and then hooking it up to the UI. Our design team then sets the parameters for the ride (excitement, nausea, intensity, safety, etc) and it’s finally ready for your peeps to enjoy!

This process is repeated day in and day out to give your peeps a robust set of in-game objects to enjoy. We are working hard at the studio to really give you the tools to make your dream park! Our goal is to give you enough at the very launch of the game to ensure every park feels unique and special. We also work daily with our programming team to revise our tools to make sure they are easy to use by our future UGC community.

Come back for RCTW’s next blog to see the final in-game shot of the Twister alongside some other amazing reveals!

Steph
Nvizzio Creations
Team RCTW”
Adam.W

This is pretty damn interesting, just shows that they are paying attention to how realistic they are making the rides. The entrance to the ride is also an improvement to rct3, it lacks a ticket booth and looks fairly decent :)
stealthsmiler

Its possible that is hasn't been added yet and that you place it on yourself at the bottom of the steps, so you can choose a style/theme maybe. The picture of the coaster they released has a ticket booth.
Adam.W

Some more promising (post gamescon) images have been released.

We should also be seeing 'press' reports from gamescon about the game soon too :)
stealthsmiler

That station looks brilliant. The track does still look a little too high though.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the link to production blog 15

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/roll ... t-updates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Danny

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen any new type coasters or B&M have we? Obviously they'll be on there, but I'm hoping for wing rider, mini dive and RMC hybrid would be amazing :)
stealthsmiler

There was a train a while ago that I think was B&M although I dont remeber clearly.

One thing to highlight from the blog is that multi player mode wont be released at launch but will be released at a later date as a free update. this is because the developers want to focus on developing the ugc tools - a decision that I think most will agree is a good one.
Adam.W

It should also be noted that the developers have been changed again, to a larger company this time, but they aren't saying who it is because they didn't want to disturb them. Wonder who it is :-k
stealthsmiler

Has it?

I didn't see any reference to this in the blog post and the Steam page which was updated ago only a few days ago still says Nvizzio.
Adam.W

Oh nevermind, I'm just lagging behind a bit :lol
Turns out they went from pipeworks to Area 52 to Nvizzio.
stealthsmiler

Production blog 16 is up. It confirms that RCTW will be previewed at PAX so we should see some game play videos soon
Sawboss

I remember seeing the trailer a while back for this game and being very pessimistic about how it's gonna turn out, it looked pretty simplified. But this more recent info like deformable terrain and freeform object placement makes me pretty excited again. Not to mention the level of detail on that station is great!
stealthsmiler

So there has been some in game footage released from PAX. These confirm some information.

* Firstly, the coasters look great, if you can ignore the terrible layouts the players made (there is the possibility of curved lifthills and players took advantage of these). There is catwalks in game and the supports look SO much better.
* Peeps look great and more realistic.
* I personally dont like this, but coasters on unrealistic layouts fly off the track - as shown by some of the videos.
* Entrance looks 100x better

I hope to see some officially released footage with realistic parks but I am excited!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=566CF7C9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=566E1BD4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=567CF7C3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5682F36C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sawboss

I don't really like the idea of the trains flying off either, but it looks a bit like it's more a visual indicator that your track isn't suitable. A message popped up saying it hadn't passed the test, so maybe your train HAS to complete a full circuit before you can open the ride. The trains popping off the track is just a better indicator for players that it's failed than it just reaching the end of the circuit and telling you it failed anyway. Won't really know til more info is released though.

Edit: As long as it's purely visual and the trains don't go barreling around the park smashing into stuff I can live with it :P
Adam.W

TBF what would happen if a b&m winged coaster were to come into a turn that strong? The sides would fly off, derail or just take damage. I suppose it's better than the game allowing painfully unrealistic coasters into the park.