The Runaway Trains future?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
thi3teenloverboy14

So the Runaway train has been at Alton towers for a very long time and its getting old but is still fun. Is there any chance of making a bit more modern I know its a classic but if you look at The Seven dwarfs Mine train its modern and big thunder mountain as well.

Would there be any way of making it modern like BTM but keeping it that Wardley classic?
Burniel

Can a mod change this topic title to "The Runaway Mine Train's Future" please?

I can see it being taken down and replaced by a more modern one (as said), but nothing that would put the height restriction up, as it's a great family coaster. It's surprising how much space you would have if you took it down, there's definitely potential.

Not yet, though. Let SW8 settle in, then start pulling down RMT. :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Sr88

I don't see much changing with this coaster. People love it, and it is still operating perfectly. Its theme is perfect too.
Alton13Nemesis

I cannot see it leaving the resort or changing for the next 10 or so years to be honest, Its a family favourite, and has proven that.
bensaund

It is such a great ride, with such a high throughput it still generates a queue on most days and is a good family ride. If anything they will keep this ride until it falls apart and then just replace the parts which have broken.

I feel that too many people are always keen to get things replaced when they get old, in reality the life of the ride depends on its popularity, reliability and if the public want it or not.

I'd put money on it that the RMT will be here in 10-15 years time.
Morgan

It's a family favorite, so I think it should stay on as long as it can
Themeparksandy1981

On Tuesday it was getting bigger queues than Nemesis,Air,Rita and Oblivion. I even think it's queue time was roughly the same length as 13.
Ryan.B

Any family ride which can get 40 minute plus queues deserves to stay, it's fun between thrill rides and the only true 'family coaster' at Alton. Children as young as 2 love it and people as old as 80 like it as well. It fits in better than Nemesis I think.
dantheman

I have to agree. It's a great family ride and until Alton gets another family coaster this will be here to stay!
Ryan.B

Any ride which can make my sing Roland mack on stays. Blue fire and rmt both make me sing. Choo Choo!
definedancing

I'd be gutted if they got ride of RMT! It's a firm favourite with the family and, aside from the accident a few years ago, runs perfectly well with little downtime. As much as I love Nemesis and the like, I always make a point to go on this ride as well.
BenBowser

Leave it as it is. Refurbish it, but don't change it.

Its popular, its reliable and its timeless. No need to remove it at all. Like I said, refurbish it, remove the ivy and tart up the tunnel, but other than that, its totally fine. :)
Danny

I love the RMT, a family classic. My one point, as many have mentioned, is after the first section, from the entrance of the tunnel to the station there's not much theming.
Firstly, the small hills before the drop in to the tunnel I'd like some signs saying things like 'warning mine ahead' or 'excavation in progress'.
Then I'd like to see the entrance to the tunnel to be themed as a mine entrance, wooden beams and some fancy looking rock work. Once inside the tunnel the wall the train passes close to needs to be completely covered in the fancy looking rock work with some cool lighting to make it look as if explorers have discovered the mine, a waterfall would be a nice addition. By waterfall I mean water trickling down the rock work, similar to Zufari. While going through spray should come up getting riders from Congo's river. The exit to the tunnel should be themed same as the entrance. The route back to the station could stay the same, possibly with some signs themed to the mine again. Possibly one warning riders that there are runaway mine trains spotted in the area :p

Just my ideas of how to make a great ride even better :)
Themeparksandy1981

I would love to see the effects of the ride working again. Now it's good that the bell rings again but I can't remember the last time the engine last puffed out smoke by the entrance of the ride
lucozade

With the log flume on imminent replacement maybe the RMT will get a tart up along with the area but I wouldnt bet on it going anywhere soon. There are so many 'dead' areas on AT at the moment. Duel was looking so tired and neglected when I went last week and the C&TCF area at the top just felt like a service area that needs desperate 'family' investment... Maybe moving the spin ball.
inFusion

Cloud Cuckoo Land is very, well, empty. The main attraction is CATCF, with two flat rides that probably don't get many riders as they've been around for years. Personally, I don't see the point in having Cloud Cuckoo AND CBeebies Land.
lucozade

I think cloud C land let's dad get to the back of the park & ride the big boys while mum looks after the kids before getting lunch. But there's nothing there at the moment.
thi3teenloverboy14

I agree with most of these and I think if they added a bit more theming more effects maybe a spray of water in the tunnel to give a surprise and somehow make the queue line bigger because on numerous occasions it has been out of the door maybe use some of duels old queue? I dont really see the point in moving anything there is no point unless moving for a new attraction such in CCL like a new Flat or something!
lucozade

Wouldn't you need a bridge (expensive) for the RMT to make use on duels extra long q? I think duel is due a refurb so it will need its long q soon enough. I remember waiting hours for the haunted house when I was little, the q was well theme with grave stones.