Carowinds

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Looks like a really promising ride. Seems to already be speeding around the course, and for a B&M it looks as though there are some relatively snappy bits.
Ryan.B

Carowinds posted the POV on facebook - The comments are terrible!

This coaster looks boring, I'll still ride it

What is the point in building a long boring ride like this

Why doesn't it go upside down, it would be amazing then!

Rollercoasters that don't go upsidedown are rubbish!

Why did you copy Intimidator?

And then you see the difference between Enthuasiasts and the general public that don't realise B&M, Hyper Coaster, Airtime hills! I don't see them saying this about kingda ka
Jack

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this ride gets better and better, from what I can tell this is a lot quicker than the original tests, and has the B&M roar we know and love! :D
Nathan_Fisher

AT lover wrote:Carowinds posted the POV on facebook - The comments are terrible!

This coaster looks boring, I'll still ride it

What is the point in building a long boring ride like this

Why doesn't it go upside down, it would be amazing then!

Rollercoasters that don't go upsidedown are rubbish!

Why did you copy Intimidator?

And then you see the difference between Enthuasiasts and the general public that don't realise B&M, Hyper Coaster, Airtime hills! I don't see them saying this about kingda ka
The public don't really understand that its not all about inversions, if they went to Carowinds to ride it when it opens i'm sure they would be quick to change there mind. I'm guessing most of the comments are from american's, haven't they seen other coasters within the US such as Millennium Force.
Jack

Something quite interesting to watch, a comparison of the animation and first test POV's. :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Carowinds have released some off ride footage of the first half of the ride, which also features Fury 325's recently arrived entrance gate.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Fury 325's sign is now in its position at the ride's entrance (also pictured).

[align=center]Image

Image[/align]
Source: Bob Gesell's Twitter
lewis97
Admin
Admin

With opening day approaching this weekend, there is very little left to do. I must say that Fury 325's light package looks great and whilst it may lack any theming it's certainly looking to be a very well presented coaster.

Source: Laresa Thompson's Twitter
Jack

New Fury 325 POV released, it is also the media day for it today and from what I have seen a lot of effort has gone into the ride :D
lewis97
Admin
Admin

With Fury 325 having now been open for almost a week, Carowinds have released a 'Making Of' video which briefly documents various stages of the construction process.
Jack

Just thought I would drop this here, Devin Olson has created some amazing documentaries for coasters in the past, and he has done it again for Fury 325. Definitely worth a watch if you like the look of the ride :)

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Carowinds have announced the new County Fair area which includes four new flat rides, a rethemed Carolina Cobra as well as an improved food and beverage offering.

A new lineup of family fun is coming to the place where the Carolinas come together! Take a step back through time and experience the home-grown thrills of a early era Carolina County Fair. True to this classic tradition, guests will experience a blast from the past with FOUR new rides, new food offerings, experiences and an atmosphere full of timeless fun for all ages!

Electro-Spin
Get ready for a jolt of fun when Electro-Spin sends riders through a freely rotating orbit through the air on its floorless gondolas. This unique ride will leave thrill seekers awed by its arsenal of tangled tricks.

Height Requirement: “54
Thrill Rating: 5

Zephyr
This classic family swing ride will suspend guests as the ride rotates in a circular, wavelike motion – all while serving up some breathtaking views of the new County Fair and the rest of the park.

Height Requirement: “48
Thrill Rating: 3

Rock 'N' Roller
A staple of any County Fair, the Rock ‘N’ Roller is a fast-paced circular ride that will rock n’ roll you around and around, up and down as high-energy tunes and spectacular lighting complement this awesome experience.

Height Requirement: “52 to ride unless accompanied by a supervising companion; max height “78.

Do-Si-Do
This super-fun spiraling adventure will send guests flying through the air and gliding up, down and around as three giant arms rotate riders in different directions – all while increasing speed and elevation.

Height Requirement: “42 to ride, guests under 54” must be accompanied by a supervising companion.

The Flying Cobras
The Carolina Cobra is getting a makeover with a new name and theme. Fitting for any Carolina County Fair, guests will look to the sky for an air show featuring the daring aviation maneuvers of The Flying Cobras.

Height Requirement: “48
Thrill Rating: 5

Wings
First in flight, first in taste! This popular dining location will receive various improvements and enhanced menu offerings, perfect to accompany any family outing at the County Fair.
The Nemesis Fox

There is new information on Screamscape (link below) about Project Alpha for 2019. This looks to be a brand new coaster - no hurler conversion or Vortex conversion. There are images on there of the suggested layout which looks to contain 5 inversions, 2 launches with a range of banking and airtime. This looks to be a new relationship with Cedar Fair and Mack which looks promising. It looks to be a mix of Blue Fire, Helix & Icon. 2019 looks to be promising with a Dive coaster on the cards for Canada’s Wonderland and a Mack Mega for Carowinds, with more rumours suggesting a KI Giga. If this turns out to be true then Carowinds will be a must visit park with: Fury 325, Intimidator, Afterburn & This.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm

Edit-There is a POV of the suggested layout on YouTube with a suggestion that it could use spinning trains like time traveler, I guess time will tell. To watch, click the link below:
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Carowinds have announced details of their 2019 addition, Copperhead Strike, today.
As the first double launch roller coaster in the Carolinas, Copperhead Strike will deliver twice the boost and twice the bite. The ride immediately leaves the station and goes into a jo-jo roll before loading into the launch station. After pausing, the ride takes off at an incredible 0 to 42 miles per hour in just 2.5 seconds. Guests will experience a series of fast, tight, close-to-the-ground maneuvers and flip upside down in five head-over-heels inversions -- the most of any double launch coaster in North America. Midway through the ride, a second thrust of acceleration launches riders into the next half of the exciting experience. Copperhead Strike does not let up during its 2 minute and 24 second ride along 3,255 feet of steel. It's full throttle all the way from start to finish!
[/center]
[/center]
Ladyofthelake

Carowinds have today given the clearest look yet at the trains for Copperhead Strike via their social media channels.

The trains look to be fairly typical for a Mack launch coaster, with the lapbar restaints. I have to say I do like the lead car, it just fits perfectly with the whole theme the park has built for the ride. Definitely need to get back out to Carowinds at some point to ride this!
Chris
Admin
Admin

Interesting how the trains have seatbelts like a typical B&M seat.

Source
Swarm Chris

On-ride footage was released today. :)
Ladyofthelake

Can I go back to Carowinds please?

That ride looks awesome, a good mix of elements, and I'm sure the theming that will only enhance the experience event further. I've been really impressed with how Carowinds have marketed and built up this ride. It looks like it's going to be a great addition to their already impressive line-up of coasters.
Ladyofthelake

Following the release of the POV earlier this month, Carowinds have now released a new, multi POV, video showing both a forward and backward POV in the same frame:

This ride just keeps looking better with every new bit of coverage which comes out!

Carowinds opens for the new season on Saturday 23rd March, and all being well Copperhead Strike is due to open with the park. It'll be interesting to see the reaction this gets from enthusiasts and the general public alike.
Swarm Chris

That second launch over a little hill is going to be interesting, especially in the back!

It's interesting how the Mack and Intamin multi-launch coasters seem to differ slightly on concept. The Mack's seem to control their speed, for more hang time and stalling effects. Whilst the Intamin's seem to go for a higher top speed and try to maintain it.