Getting Rides back in the Spotlight

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Sr88

I really wish they could go back and complete that theming. It would really do the ride some good, but I guess Merlin won't spend money on a ride that has already had a large portion of its life already past. It could still give it a boost though.
stealthsmiler

Or it could get a better re-theme to make it fit in with FV's theme, only this time make it look completed rather than pull a Rita.
NemesisRider

stealthsmiler wrote:Or it could get a better re-theme to make it fit in with FV's theme, only this time make it look completed rather than pull a Rita.
I agree, they should retheme rides fully.

"Pulling a Rita" is definitely going in my roller coaster phrases list.
Sr88

stealthsmiler wrote:Or it could get a better re-theme to make it fit in with FV's theme, only this time make it look completed
Actually, that would be even better. Unless they build in the car park and decide to make Air part of a new section.
NemesisRider

That is true, but how could they extend the Air section?

I think the Nemmy theme could be extended because a new theme would make FV too full with different themes.
Sr88

The Air section would be in a segment of the existing car park
stealthsmiler

I think if air's car park was developed, that along with Air would be a completely new area, not park of FV.
Sr88

stealthsmiler wrote:I think if air's car park was developed, that along with Air would be a completely new area, not park of FV.
Exactly.

The only thing is, is that there are no trees there so they may say the maximum height for a ride is 0cm.
nemefan08

Nemesis needs some big theming and effects (Fire if possible). Air needs to start making sense and with the rest of fv oblivion needs to fit in with the smiler
NemesisRider

All fair points. Will anything ever happen? No. Or at least it is very unlikely, Nemmy especially won't get an upgrade until it gets more riders.
stealthsmiler

It wont full stop. Most of the UK have ridden Nemesis and apart from some die hard fans, no one will travel to the part to ride Nemesis with the new flames. It will stay as it is with no investments apart from the usual maintenance unless the area gets rethemed.
Altontowersbarlow

I believe a ride comes to a point in its lifespan were it reaches a natural and dignified demise. The Corkscrew was one of the most popular roller coasters at Alton Towers and is still loved now by certain enthusiasts, however she reached a natural demise caused by becoming aged and outdated. This is why I think Rides should not be plunged back into the spotlight as rides can be celebrated during their lengthy working lives and then they can make way for new groundbreaking attractions.This is why I appreciate Alton Towers as a developing theme park environment. We should all enjoy the present; remember the past and look forward to the future. That is what truly allows a theme park to accommodate a sentimental atmosphere.
Jack

stealthsmiler wrote:It wont full stop. Most of the UK have ridden Nemesis and apart from some die hard fans, no one will travel to the part to ride Nemesis with the new flames. It will stay as it is with no investments apart from the usual maintenance unless the area gets rethemed.
erm, let me just say this; Nemesis is the only coaster at Alton Towers that appeals to the worldwide market over a long period of time, and it will keep doing so for many years to come. You have the new ride put into the spotlight, it grabs attention and then fades. Looking at what not only enthusiasts have said, but what I have heard after talking to a massive amount of non-enthusiasts about it, they have said that it's "the best" and that they don't enjoy the Smiler nearly as much. Why? Because it was so well designed, and that it has visually no faults. Whereas gimmick rides tend to have many faults where even non-enthusiasts will question why these faults exist.

I am not just saying this as something in defence of Nemesis, but the fact that people seem to forget that people will come from across the UK and Europe to go to Alton Towers, for whatever is new and "that cool looking one" ;)
Ryan.B

It may get a special event like the Big Dipper did for it's 21st hopefully if sw8 goes in the air car park they will add some baby nemesis eggs around and possible effects like fire. I wouldn't want sw8 breaking off into a new area as people would want to ride nemesis to fit in with the story don't forget Nemmy won king of the coasters and makes it to every single final.look at whirled cup of rides. This proves it gets a lot of riders. Unlike air it's queue is normally short because of the throughput and doesn't break down as much as air and the smiler
stealthsmiler

jackandylan123 wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:It wont full stop. Most of the UK have ridden Nemesis and apart from some die hard fans, no one will travel to the part to ride Nemesis with the new flames. It will stay as it is with no investments apart from the usual maintenance unless the area gets rethemed.
erm, let me just say this; Nemesis is the only coaster at Alton Towers that appeals to the worldwide market over a long period of time, and it will keep doing so for many years to come. You have the new ride put into the spotlight, it grabs attention and then fades. Looking at what not only enthusiasts have said, but what I have heard after talking to a massive amount of non-enthusiasts about it, they have said that it's "the best" and that they don't enjoy the Smiler nearly as much. Why? Because it was so well designed, and that it has visually no faults. Whereas gimmick rides tend to have many faults where even non-enthusiasts will question why these faults exist.

I am not just saying this as something in defence of Nemesis, but the fact that people seem to forget that people will come from across the UK and Europe to go to Alton Towers, for whatever is new and "that cool looking one" ;)
I wasn't saying Nemesis is not a good ride or anything but it is 20 years old and most have ridden it. Adding flames to the ride wouldn't boost riders and therefore would be a waste of money for AT. Plus the fact that it is doing so well shows that it doesn't need any new investments. I think AT would rather put the money into a new coaster that they will attempt to make world class - and apart from it's massive technical issues, I think The Smiler is better than Nemesis for ride experience and is the first coaster at AT to be like US coasters, IMO. Apart from Nemesis, Oblivion, RMT and The Smiler all ATs coasters really could have been better.
Mark-Cal

stealthsmiler wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:I wasn't saying Nemesis is not a good ride or anything but it is 20 years old and most have ridden it. Adding flames to the ride wouldn't boost riders and therefore would be a waste of money for AT. .
Yes, most people have ridden it, so what ?
It doesn't mean they won't ride it again, it's still the best coaster we have in this country and they only one that ever achieves world top ten status.
I think an update to the theming is exactly what Nemesis needs, but done carefully and thoughtfully so it doesn't loose that look of neglect and intimidation that I love about it.

You say adding flames to the ride isn't something Merlin would bother wasting money on, but that's exactly what they've done to Scorpion Express at Chessington to breath new life in to a tired old mediocre mine train together with a huge advertising campaign to brag about it, so I'm sure they'd have no problem spending a similar amount of money on Nemesis when they feel the time is right.
stealthsmiler

But Nemesis isn't a tired old mediocre ride. It is still popular and adding flames etc won't increase guest numbers at the park. Something to affect the ride experience a lot (like going backwards) probably would increase guest numbers especially if they announced it was only for a year. If something as cheap as adding flames to a ride increased gate numbers, I doubt they would spend almost £20 million pounds on a new coaster 3 years after they had just spent £15 million. Nemesis along with all the other rides have already had their time in the spotlight. Let the new ride have it's time. It isn't like they aren't getting the riders.
lucozade

FV and Nemesis are due a retheme... Rip & blade will be removed, air should be binned but will finally get A theme, any theme at all... its a family coaster but nothing tells you this before you get on the ride.

Nemmy has the strongest themeing in the whole park, but its old and looking run down, which suits it, but lazy upkeep is no excuse. The river no longer runs red, the bloody rags are gone and the building looks plop. A few thousand £ could go a VERY long way.