Oblivion's future

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
definedancing

I find it incredibly unlikely that they'll remove a B&M coaster that cost several million pounds, is incredibly iconic and contributed to a lot of the parks success in the late 90's/early 00's, is popular with the general public by still being intimidating and happily soaks up the queues with a phenomenal throughput, despite having The Smiler next door.
MerlinFan

Oblivion is awesome - always the first ride I go to! And the fact that it hardly ever has queues makes it all the more appealing to me!

I would love some more special effects put in now to enhance the ride experience just that bit more. Like speakers built into the headrests - you could have the Oblivion music playing and it gets more and more dramatic as you go up the hill climb towards the drop. Then when it hangs on the edge, the man's voice could loudly whisper "Don't... Look... Down!" "Down" could be shouted and that's the moment the ride drops. Then in the tunnel you could have orange lights flashing and the Oblivion music gets really fast and dramatic, then slowing to the original station music at the end.

That would have me wanting more!
MakoMania

I always thought the tunnel was so under-utilised on Oblivion! Just add dramatic lighting music and possibly some more spray and we're done!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
TheBeast

You go through it too quickly to be able to see anything, and it defeats the purpose of "falling into Oblivion" if its all lit up, even if they are orange lights
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
vikkimoo

Oblivion is the only ride at AT that I really have to psych myself up for going on - it plays into the fear that many people have (myself included) of falling from a height. I always come off it feeling pumped up and ready for anything!

I'm sure it's already been said but the obvious question that springs to my mind is what would they do with the hole if/when it goes???
TheBeast

Abseiling attraction

In all seriousness they could reshape it and make it into a drop tower, although that is literally my only suggestion
Jmurphy55

Why would they remove it?

Unless it develops maintenance issues and becomes expensive to run, there is really no logical reason to remove it.

It might be 16 years old but it's still the only dive machine in the UK, and the only pure vertical drop coaster in the country (I know that Saw is also technically vertical but the vertical element is very short in comparison.)

It's still a very thrilling ride and compliments The Smiler very well, as well as lightening the queue load slightly.

As others have said, if it were to be removed then we're left with a huge hole in the ground with no obvious use. Yes you could put a drop tower in it but what would be the point in that? I mean Oblivion is surely superior to a drop tower and is a similar concept?

What I do think could, and should be done, is a make over for the queue line, not necessarily changing anything but just cleaning it up and making it look newer and sharper.

For me, the only major ride in the park in urgent need of a full replacement is the flume, which really needs to be dealt with ASAP in my opinion. Although I say this every year and nothing ever seems to be done with it.
Nathan_Fisher

I highly doubt Oblivion is going anytime soon. Yes it often has a low queue but that doesn't mean people aren't enjoying the ride. Why would the scrap something that's in perfect working order doesn't really make sense, that would just be a waste. Would you scrap a car in perfect working order and condition? Probably not. As long as Oblivion keeps working they will keep it, people still ride it so i don't see the problem.
tallicay2k

I love oblivion, it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
To me it's still the king of X Sector, it's one of those rides where you can ride, get off, run round and ride again.
It's iconic and I miss the "Don't look down" at the top of the drop but it still takes my breath away (literally).
Leave blivy be! :)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Stan.H

personally i'd like alton towers to upgrade oblivion (e.g add more track and a loop or two) if thats possible! also maybe theme it to the smiler more
CorkyForever

No B&M has been taken out of any park in the world yet and Oblivion is far from being the oldest so it is unlikely to be going anywhere anytime soon.
Most Recent Visit
tallicay2k

Emporium wrote:personally i'd like alton towers to upgrade oblivion (e.g add more track and a loop or two) if thats possible! also maybe theme it to the smiler more
That will never happen, space is very limited....not to mention controversial noise issues. Besides, the whole Idea of oblivion is the drop..it was the worlds first and to me everytime I ride it, it never disappoint.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TheBeast

For the record, the world's first is a lie, it isn't truly a vertical drop. Its almost 90 but not quite. However, I do agree, the drop is pretty huge and where would you actually put a loop? You would literally have to re-make the ride
Aidan Lowe

Are people still nit-picking about a couple of ° it was the first of its kind so regardless of it not being 90° its still a world first.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Stan.H

Other than the loops (that i know can't happen!!). I would love oblivion to have lick off paint and some new theming.
tallicay2k

Definatly a lick of paint! Nice black and orange, iconic oblivion colours!
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
MakoMania

They just repainted it in 2013 though so a repaint of Oblivion won't happen yet! (not saying I wouldn't like it to though!)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
NemesisRider

I can't really ever imagine Blivvy in black and orange to be honest! I think that grey was the original colour and they should keep it that way!

(I know they changed the shade of grey, but I first saw Oblivion when it was the darker grey, it's not made a huge difference for me at least.)
Tom170499

Andy Mc wrote:Are people still nit-picking about a couple of ° it was the first of its kind so regardless of it not being 90° its still a world first.
The track for the drop is inclined 88.7° and the seats are angled at 1.3° to make the drop appear 90° to the rider. So technically, it is vertical.

I remember reading somewhere that the drop couldn't have been completely vertical because the ride car wheels would rise off the track and then make it uncomfortable for the riders when the car comes back into contact with the track again once it gets to the bottom of the hole and becomes horizontal again.

I am not 100% sure about this though as it is just something I've heard but the thing about the drop is definite.
Aidan Lowe

Probably due to staffing issues but Blivvy was only using one loading bay today, loading a train at a time.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc