Oblivion's future

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
vikkimoo

Andy Mc wrote:Probably due to staffing issues but Blivvy was only using one loading bay today, loading a train at a time.
I was there too, it was a nightmare - seriously, it took about an hour to get on.
Stan.H

vikkimoo wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:Probably due to staffing issues but Blivvy was only using one loading bay today, loading a train at a time.
I was there too, it was a nightmare - seriously, it took about an hour to get on.
IKR, i was there too! Also smilers queue said 30 mins but was actually 60 mins!!!
Aidan Lowe

Smiler's queue line display is very rarely accurate, not even close, always take it with a pinch of salt.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Liam.W

I think that oblivion should be given a re-theme to fit in with the whole 'the ministry of joy' thing surrounding the smiler. Well to be honest i think X-sector itself should be re-themed and re-named to fit in with the smiler. The smiler looks a bit out of place along with oblivion and enterprise. Oblivion could be floorless perhaps and when you enter the tunnel there could be some sort of flashing lights or something else to fit in with the smiler. I know this isn't much but if they brand this as a new ride or something similar then oblivion could become a lot more popular just like when it first opened. :yes:
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

tallicay2k

smileradvocate1 wrote:I think that oblivion should be given a re-theme to fit in with the whole 'the ministry of joy' thing surrounding the smiler. Well to be honest i think X-sector itself should be re-themed and re-named to fit in with the smiler. The smiler looks a bit out of place along with oblivion and enterprise. Oblivion could be floorless perhaps and when you enter the tunnel there could be some sort of flashing lights or something else to fit in with the smiler. I know this isn't much but if they brand this as a new ride or something similar then oblivion could become a lot more popular just like when it first opened. :yes:
I don't like this, why has oblivion got to change just because of the smiler? Oblivion was there first, it made the x sector. Leave oblivion as it is! This ride is perfectly safe..
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Aidan Lowe

And why are people obsessed with coasters being floorless? I don't get it, whats the fascination? it adds very little to the ride experience whereas on drop towers like Apocalypse it fits perfectly with the free falling experience. Oblivion doesn't need to change or be re-themed imo.
daveclarkedaveclarke

I'd love for the theme to be updated, maybe add some extra themeing in the tunnel, lighting and such...
TheBeast

Andy Mc wrote:And why are people obsessed with coasters being floorless? I don't get it, whats the fascination? it adds very little to the ride experience
I think Air with a floor would be slightly naff
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Aidan Lowe

TheBeast wrote:I think Air with a floor would be slightly naff
You know I meant coasters above the track :)
Adam.W

The most I could see happening to blivvy is a slight retheme or a few effects or something to spice it up a bit. Making it floorless might be cool because your feet would be dangling over the edge at them top, and have them hanging above the track as you plummet down. Tbh I can't see it getting removed for a while unless it becomes really unpopular, maintenance problems, or financially pointless. Even if it became too unpopular, AT would do something that gets the GP onto the ride again.
Aidan Lowe

With Smiler SBNO Oblivion is getting some much needed tlc from guests again, reached around 40 minutes yesterday although that was probably due to loading procedure and not using both bays.
Ripsaw Raver

i can honestly say I would not queue that long for Blivvy sorry but that is the most ballachey queue going as you never feel your actually getting somewhere, until the cage tunnel, If they acknowledge that TheSmiler being closed causes more queues for Blivvy and with only Enterprise to take the excess heat in that area then they need to be adding more cars. Or using 2 bay operation.
TRM

Hopefully not going anywhere soon, but it does seem to be getting less popular IMO
TH14TEEN

Oblivion wouldn't go anywhere. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It would be as hard to remove as nemesis, which is why neither are going anywhere. Oblivion should be kept exactly how it is. Its smiler Tha needs to change or go, but there's no need for that.
Adam.W

I believe that parts of the oblivion video/soundtrack have been cut off, in particular 'This ride is perfectly safe', almost certainly related to the smiler crash. I suppose this is temporary, and it will return once it has died down a bit and slowly forgotten about. If not, an edited video will be made to make it look better.
WaveyDavey

How about just bringing the original theming back at the top of the drop (tv screens "which play don't look down") hold the car for a couple of seconds longer as I feel it has lost some of the menace it had at the start and just sending the cars up then dropping them is going through the motions a bit. Maybe even add some special effects in the tunnel.
Alex

They had to remove "Don't Look Down" message from the top of the drop due to the Roper's lawsuit against the park over 10 years ago. So unfortunately the message won't be coming back.

You can read more about that on the following articles

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/aug/03/davidward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 474001.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WaveyDavey

Thanks Alex I knew they had some noise complaints but didn't know it was centred around oblivion.
Adam.W

The reason seems pretty daft though, because apparently the 'don't look down' audio 'induced screaming'...
Alex

The judge presiding over the case didn't think it was daft hence action was taken ;)