Oblivion's future

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
sw7nutter

Realistically oblivion isn't going to become backwards or have any modifications to it at all. It may have a few bits and bobs fixed and repainted over the next few years, especially as the submission replacement is coming soon. However i do think it doesn't have long left. Its the main source of complaints, rising operation costs and dwindling riders. I reckon its got a maximum of 10 years left.
Themeparksandy1981

On Monday was the first time I rote Oblivion in over 2 years and it still gets the same reaction as it got 16 years ago. It don't need anything just the queue line changed so the main queue links up to both loading bays.
Bag_O_Laughs

Dan.N wrote:They wont modify the track layout or seating arrangement.

Oblivion is a classic ride. Yes it may be a one trick pony but it does its one trick very very well. It remains to this day the only coaster at Alton to make me slightly anxious before riding it. I can't put my finger on what it is but it gives me a feeling no other coaster does.

It would have to be falling to pieces and financially unviable to keep it operating before they even consider removing it.
I agree with you. It just doesn't make financial sense for AT to make any changes to Oblivion. Its normally still listed as an iconic ride at Alton Towers and sometime features in promotional items. I think its got at least another 20 years or so.
dazza4783

If they do anything to Oblivion it should be to enclose the ride from exiting the hole all the way back to the station. The ride is intimidating as it is, but imagine if all you could see of the ride was the drop into the hole and then nothing after that. Also if they do that then add some lighting effects inside aswell. Incorporate the ministry of joy theme more into it.
stealthsmiler

I completely agree!
Burniel

Building a tunnel to house the rest of the track would be expensive - especially when you consider the width of the trains - and (although I agree it would be cool) something like this really needed to be done in the first couple of years. In 1999, this modification might have brought more people to the gate, but in 2014/15 it wouldn't have the same effect.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Fish777

i agree that the entrance needs to be easier to find, it is quite hidden away for first-timers, i couldn't find it on my 4th go tbh
Alex

Sooooooo... Oblivion has had queues of 100mins today, do they still need to change something?
RCandrew

Wow the park is busy today :O nothing under 60 mins for thrill rides just then!
sw7nutter

Just because you have 1 day where it has a large number of guests doesn't mean its popular. If they released how many riders oblivion has had then i think we can do some comparisons.
Alex

sw7nutter wrote:Just because you have 1 day where it has a large number of guests doesn't mean its popular. If they released how many riders oblivion has had then i think we can do some comparisons.
Notice it coincides with the school trips and an increase in the numbers in number of people in the park.
RCandrew

I agree with both sides here because that is true, yet oblivion has a huge throughput yet had a 100 minute queue the same as Rita, Air and The smiler soooo......
Aidan Lowe

For Oblivion especially today I think the high queue early on the morning / afternoon was due to staff tbh, not very quick ushering people from queues into bays ready for loading and checks were rather slow also.
sw7nutter

oblivion hardly ever reaches its throughput. Its always about the 1300-1400 mark.
NemesisRider

Still, that is a decent throughput, isn't it?
sw7nutter

It is still decent, 13 is 1300 and 1400 would make it best in the park but people are in this mind set that its at 1900 when its not.
Themeparksandy1981

I think the toughest decision won't be replacing Oblivion but what with. If it's another coaster with it mean both flats will have to go to fit a bigger coaster in.
NemesisRider

Both flats? X-sector only has one flat ride now...

Still, Blivvy won't be going for at least another 15 years!
sw7nutter

15 Years? no way will it last that long. Its already starting to go wrong, riders are falling, come sw8 oblivion wont even have its morning busy period. 10 years max.
Towers jamie

I reckon oblivion still has another 20 years to be honest, it still makes me scared today