Oblivion's future

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
sw7nutter

I'm starting to think more and more that oblivion may not have long left. It always has a 10 minute queue and originally i thought that was because of its throughput. However talking to staff oblivions throughput is no where near as good as initially thought. The average is around 1000pph so it means its popularity is starting to fall. In my opinion i don't think it will make another 10 years. So how long do you think it has left?
Dan

I don't think Oblivion will be leaving the park any time soon.

It is one of Alton's most iconic coasters, in my opinion second only to Nemesis, and is still in brilliant condition.

Also your estimate of throughput is way out. With both stations and the maximum number of shuttles operating it's throughput is closer to 1900pph. Bear in mind that in terms of coaster age Oblivion is fairly young, I reckon she'll be around for decades.
Sr88

Well, Oblivion is definitely overshadowed by The Smiler.

Personally I think (and there was much talk about this on the SW8 post) that it simply doesn't compare with other vertical drop coasters, and that AT should extend it before and after the drop (over X-Sector, inverting perhaps), keep the drop, and replace everything else, rename it, market it as a new ride, and retheme it and X-Sector to something more in suiting with The Smiler's theme.
sw7nutter

The theoretical throughput is 1900 but it never achives that, its average achivement is 1000. For it to achive 1900 then there must always be a car on the chainlift and that simply doesnt happen.
NemesisRider

If Oblivion gets too unpopular AT will think of something. I would love some seats on Blivvy to be backwards but it is highly unlikely. Also, I guess, how to get people to those seats would be a conundrum. Also, if deemed totally necessary, AT could extend the track but, in my opinion, this could potentially ruin this classic ride.
Coasterfellow

You could not extend the track and remarket it as a new ride. The general public aren't thick and they would see right through that.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Dan

They wont modify the track layout or seating arrangement.

Oblivion is a classic ride. Yes it may be a one trick pony but it does its one trick very very well. It remains to this day the only coaster at Alton to make me slightly anxious before riding it. I can't put my finger on what it is but it gives me a feeling no other coaster does.

It would have to be falling to pieces and financially unviable to keep it operating before they even consider removing it.
Alex

nemesisrider wrote:If Oblivion gets too unpopular AT will think of something. I would love some seats on Blivvy to be backwards but it is highly unlikely. Also, I guess, how to get people to those seats would be a conundrum. Also, if deemed totally necessary, AT could extend the track but, in my opinion, this could potentially ruin this classic ride.
Neither of them would happen, there is hardly room to extend the track, where would it go??

Also turning the seats backward could be rather painful as when you level off after the drop you would get whipped forward.
NemesisRider

I did say it was highly unlikely! Blivvy is the first ever dive coaster and gets everyone who comes off the Smiler. It won't be leaving for 20 years, at least (I guess!).
Sr88

Coasterfellow wrote:You could not extend the track and remarket it as a new ride. The general public aren't thick and they would see right through that.
I'm not saying that Alton Towers try to trick the public as such, my point is that it essentially would be a new ride, just the part everybody loves is kept. Everybody is happy.

Anyway, it didn't stop them doing that in 2010 with Sonic Spinball Whizzer.
Dan

Sr88 wrote:Anyway, it didn't stop them doing that in 2010 with Sonic Spinball Whizzer.
That was just a retheme and a paint job, no track modifications.
Sr88

Dan.N wrote:
Sr88 wrote:Anyway, it didn't stop them doing that in 2010 with Sonic Spinball Whizzer.
That was just a retheme and a paint job, no track modifications.
I know, but they branded it as a new ride. The lack of any changes actually makes that even worse.
NemesisRider

Alex wrote:
nemesisrider wrote:If Oblivion gets too unpopular AT will think of something. I would love some seats on Blivvy to be backwards but it is highly unlikely. Also, I guess, how to get people to those seats would be a conundrum. Also, if deemed totally necessary, AT could extend the track but, in my opinion, this could potentially ruin this classic ride.
Neither of them would happen, there is hardly room to extend the track, where would it go??

Also turning the seats backward could be rather painful as when you level off after the drop you would get whipped forward.
Swarm style harnesses? :lol

They say they will keep Benny until it is unpopular. I reckon Blivvy will have this same rule. If Blivvy really does need something new, launch a big publicity campaign for it! They could do that when Blivvy hits 25 years old. Something to remind people the ride exists. :lol
Coasterfellow

They say they will keep Benny until it is unpopular.
I know alton towers have Nemmy but i wasn't aware they had Benny :-s :lol
Themeparksandy1981

The day they do decide to replace Oblivion will be a very hard decision. Removing the coaster will not be a problem but what to do with the hole. I reckon it will cost a lot of money to fill it.
NemesisRider

Coasterfellow wrote:
Sorry, my auto correct is a real problem sometimes...

When Blivvy goes they probably will have problems over what can go in the hole. A floorless dive coaster maybe? :lol
Dan

nemesisrider wrote:
Coasterfellow wrote:
Sorry, my auto correct is a real problem sometimes...

When Blivvy goes they probably will have problems over what can go in the hole. A floorless dive coaster maybe? :lol
That is another reason why Oblivion will be around for years to come. The sheer cost of filling the hole would be enormous.

It is also highly unlikely that any ride that replaces Oblivion would be able to utilise the hole, given that it was designed specifically for that coaster type and also it's proximity to the boundary of the park.
stealthsmiler

I think making the back row backwards would be good also. It is cheaper than doing any other modifications and could see the ride get some more interest by the general public. It would also make it more re-rideable. I like the short queue though as it means I can ride 3/4 times in about 15 minutes. Plus it does get all The Smiler's riders who have just gotten off the ride.

I have to admit, I love Oblivion but it doesn't give me the same nervous feeling I used to get which is a shame. I dont want to see Oblivion go anywhere but it is overshadowed by The Smiler.

I suppose they can just reduce the number of trains running to keep them filled.
NemesisRider

stealthsmiler wrote:I think making the back row backwards would be good also. It is cheaper than doing any other modifications and could see the ride get some more interest by the general public. It would also make it more re-rideable. I like the short queue though as it means I can ride 3/4 times in about 15 minutes. Plus it does get all The Smiler's riders who have just gotten off the ride.

I have to admit, I love Oblivion but it doesn't give me the same nervous feeling I used to get which is a shame. I dont want to see Oblivion go anywhere but it is overshadowed by The Smiler.

I suppose they can just reduce the number of trains running to keep them filled.
Maybe they could have one full train going backwards with Swarm style harnesses on the seats?
Coasterfellow

I would love oblivion to go backwards! The feeling you would get from the drop would be awesome and it would extend the rides lifetime.