Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Dom

I wouldn't want Nemesis to go backwards as part of its 21st birthday. She is an amazing ride as she is, and i don't think it would be suitable for Merlin to make it go backwards. But i guess we can only speculate at this time.
Dan

There's no need for any of the rows on Nemesis to go backwards. She is consistently around the top 10 steel coasters on the planet, and is still as popular as she's ever been (she just doesn't get a massive queue as she's a throughput machine)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Jack

backwards is way over hyped and is infinitely better forward :P
RCandrew

I agree it should never be made backwards but that would be good to experience if they done it just for the summer season or something :)
Jack

May i remind people of how the last part time backwards coaster ended? :P
SmilerLover

I don't think that they will make nemesis go backwards. This is because nemesis a old rollercoaster, and was never designed to go backwards. This would mean that to modify nemesis to go backwards they would have to spend nearly as much money on it as making a whole new rollercoaster. Because of this I think a 1 inversion baby nemesis in the forbidden valley is much more likely.
dazza4783

jackandylan123 wrote:Image

May i remind people of how the last part time backwards coaster ended? :P

Colossus is only closing because it is getting a makeover from RMC.
I think it is perfectly plausable that the might turn Nemesis backwards for her birthday. I would love to try it out backwards. B&M have recently done it with some of their other rides, the batman rides, hollywood dream, The Swarm, so we know it is possible. Just because nemesis wasn't designed to ride backwards doesn't mean it wouldn't be good backwards. Obviously you lose a bit of the thrill by missing out on the near miss elements, but not being able to see where you are going will probably make up for that.

It also gives Alton a gimmick to market without the expense of a new ride. It will certainly get a lot of people to the park to ride it backwards, especially if it is just for 1 season.
Dan

SmilerLover wrote:I don't think that they will make nemesis go backwards. This is because nemesis a old rollercoaster, and was never designed to go backwards. This would mean that to modify nemesis to go backwards they would have to spend nearly as much money on it as making a whole new rollercoaster. Because of this I think a 1 inversion baby nemesis in the forbidden valley is much more likely.
A "one inversion baby Nemesis" won't happen. We would have seen planning documents for it and they would have started construction by now.
Alex

Realistically the only thing I imagine we will see is the station being refurbished, I can't see them painting the track as its colour now fits the theme better than a fresh white track.
Hitch

Alex wrote:Realistically the only thing I imagine we will see is the station being refurbished, I can't see them painting the track as its colour now fits the theme better than a fresh white track.
I disagree, the theme is they have used steel to hold down the monster, not rusty steel, steel. The only dirt that should really be on the track is the blood which is painted on.

The excuse "it doesn't need painting because it fits the theme better rusty" is used WAY to often in my opinion, with the weather we get in the UK towers coasters should never go a year without being cleaned, and should be repainted atleast once every 10 years.
Danny

I'm on Alex's side for this one. Nemesis track looks amazing how it is and really compliments the theme. It makes it look like the nemesis creature has been locked away for along time, and seeing the trains go round it and seeing the rusty coloured track, it would make people assume the Nemesis monster is angry and is constantly trying to escape, hence the discoloured track.
SmilerLover

I'm on Alex's side for this one. Nemesis track looks amazing how it is and really compliments the theme. It makes it look like the nemesis creature has been locked away for along time, and seeing the trains go round it and seeing the rusty coloured track, it would make people assume the Nemesis monster is angry and is constantly trying to escape, hence the discoloured track.
This is true. I never saw nemesis when they painted most recently, I have only seen it rusty. When I saw it (until now) I always assumed it was supposed to be rusty, as it goes with the theme very well.
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
Sr88

SmilerLover wrote:
This is true. I never saw nemesis when they painted most recently, I have only seen it rusty. When I saw it (until now) I always assumed it was supposed to be rusty, as it goes with the theme very well.
Same here – until I became a big roller coaster fan (a few years ago).
stealthsmiler

They shouldn't paint it as if it were actually restraining a monster, they wouldn't repaint it. I would like to see work on the interior of the station done.
Jack

dazza4783 wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:May i remind people of how the last part time backwards coaster ended? :P

Colossus is only closing because it is getting a makeover from RMC.
I think it is perfectly plausable that the might turn Nemesis backwards for her birthday. I would love to try it out backwards. B&M have recently done it with some of their other rides, the batman rides, hollywood dream, The Swarm, so we know it is possible. Just because nemesis wasn't designed to ride backwards doesn't mean it wouldn't be good backwards. Obviously you lose a bit of the thrill by missing out on the near miss elements, but not being able to see where you are going will probably make up for that.

It also gives Alton a gimmick to market without the expense of a new ride. It will certainly get a lot of people to the park to ride it backwards, especially if it is just for 1 season.
t'was a joke, nothing serious :)

EDIT:
Hitch wrote:
Alex wrote:Realistically the only thing I imagine we will see is the station being refurbished, I can't see them painting the track as its colour now fits the theme better than a fresh white track.
I disagree, the theme is they have used steel to hold down the monster, not rusty steel, steel. The only dirt that should really be on the track is the blood which is painted on.

The excuse "it doesn't need painting because it fits the theme better rusty" is used WAY to often in my opinion, with the weather we get in the UK towers coasters should never go a year without being cleaned, and should be repainted atleast once every 10 years.
I understand what you mean about the excuse about it fitting the theme is generally used a lot, but in the situation of Nemesis, it seems realistic (yeah, I said realistic about a ride that is themed to an alien monster stuck in the ground, PROBLEM? ;)) to have the track dirty and that, it just seems to work on Nemesis. A ride that really needs cleaning up is Colossus at Thorpe, as that really is a case of the track not fitting the theme ;)
TheOutpatient

awesome ride, needs no modification...
SmilerLover

awesome ride, needs no modification...
It doesn't need one but it would still be good to have one (especially if it means going backwards :yes: )
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
Jack

I will not be happy if it gets backwards, i've said before, it does not feel nearly as good as forward.
Danny

I would have thought that any amendments to the ride would have been discussed with John himself, especially if these changes will change the appearance of the ride. Now as that's like John's signature coaster I don't think he would approve of many changes other than a station repaint and a redo of the voice overs in the station. I could see them maybe adding some new effects to the ride such as water squirting up at your feet around the helix and mist added to the tunnel after the loop.

However I've noticed a lot of people want to enclose the brake run. I wouldn't mind this if they were going to theme it etc; but can't see John approving of it.
Sr88

DannyG wrote:I would have thought that any amendments to the ride would have been discussed with John himself, especially if these changes will change the appearance of the ride. Now as that's like John's signature coaster I don't think he would approve of many changes other than a station repaint and a redo of the voice overs in the station. I could see them maybe adding some new effects to the ride such as water squirting up at your feet around the helix and mist added to the tunnel after the loop.

However I've noticed a lot of people want to enclose the brake run. I wouldn't mind this if they were going to theme it etc; but can't see John approving of it.
While it would be nice to discuss it with John, unless I am mistaken, I doubt they would have to, given that Merlin own it and can really do whatever they want with it.