The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Altontowersbarlow

Hi folks ( Neither I or a moderator could find the existing topic for the future of this ride so I saw it as a perfect opportunity to share my ideas for this ride and start a new discussion.)

I have been considering many ideas for a re-theme of the existing Charlie And The Chocolate Factory ride at The Alton Towers Resort hence me creating this topic. I started contemplating more modern IP ideas but I finally settled on an idea after the announcement of The Enchanted Village Accommodation development. I don't think it would be too out of place in the current setting of Cloud Cuckoo Land and I feel it could fit in perfectly without the need of a widespread Re-theme of the area. My idea would circulate around the theme of "The Alton Brook" which would be in an enchanted village and that flows through Cloud Cuckoo Land taking you on a journey full of secrets and beauty. I thought the visual aesthetics could follow the rich rustic look that the Peter Rabbit Rooms adopt in the Alton Towers Hotel that can be viewed in this link;http://www.altontowers.com/hotels/alton ... med-rooms/. The exterior of the ride would include a stone enchanted castle which would include both 3D and 2D theming to give a more dynamic look to the building. Exterior theming could include; Ivy, a waterwheel, Castle parapets, bright colours and cottage like facades. This theming would hopefully give a more fairy-tale look to the show building while being in-keeping with the exuberant colours of Cloud Cuckoo Land. The interior would have multiple areas that would tell a story rather than just represent different scenes and could roughly follow a running order like this;

Scene 1) The boat would start in a room which is currently taken up by the machines and plants of The factory. This room would be made to look like the interior of a cosy stone cottage/ castle and would have a fairy-tale style book narrating the scene and turning it's pages seemingly by magic. Other elements in this room would include; cottage beams, a fire and items such as rocking chairs. This room would act as a pre-show room and the start of the story. The transitional tunnel to the next scene would be dark and take the form of tree roots with projected "sparkles" rotating inside the tunnel.

Scene 2) This scene would be where the inventing room and Violet currently are. This room would include many detailed and quaint cottage facades to create the appearance of passing through the pretty village of Alton and would work in the same way as a standard yet detailed pantomime set. This room could also include; foliage, plants, a mill and a water wheel( A water wheel already exists in this area). This simple fairy-tale like theming could easily create the effect of a small village in which the brook passes through. This area would end slightly before the section where blue strobes and water effects are currently used and would transition into the next scene.

Scene 3) This scene would be in the area where the Blue strobes and water effects are currently used. This scene would use lots of fairy-tale style branches and tree's to create a creepy forest atmosphere. Other theming in this scene could include gentle strobe lighting, lightning and thunder effects and a partially hidden animatronic of a hag similar to that of The Wicked Witch. The narration would tell everyone on-board they need to think magical thoughts to escape the hag and the "Evil Forest". A shimmering light would then shine and the boat would proceed to the next scene which would take place in The Mirror/Nut Room.

Scene 4) This scene would now enter the space currently occupied by "The Nut Room". This scene would include a much brighter forest and would show the wildlife varieties alongside the brook. The room would be full of foliage, burrows and trees in which animatronic versions of animals such as; voles, rabbits, birds and foxes can be seen darting around and flapping overhead. This effect would be achieved with fairy-tale type trees and warm light effects to represent a typical yet magical meadow/forest. This area could also use a small cottage hidden amongst the foliage with shadows of people in the windows. At the end of the forest before you exit the ride into the Glass elevator there would be a themed façade representing you arriving back into the village once again.

Scene 5) Scene 5 would be in the space currently occupied by the Glass Elevator and would use the same system and the screens would show the village previously seen before departure. Before this part of the ride starts you would be informed by a narrator that on your journey you left the storybook that guided you along your journey somewhere along the way and you must find it. The narrator would then explain the magic will allow you to fly above the brook for a better view. The whole elevator would then shimmer as if a spell had been cast and the elevator would then activate using a new updated video showing you diving in and out of rabbit burrows and other previously visited scenes such as the "Evil Forest" and "The Meadow". The final scene in the "lift" aspect of the ride would show the book floating in the brook and the "lift" splashing down into the water and floating back into the village where you started. With the book found you are allowed to depart and contemplate the magical brook and the places it took you.

I feel this would add an original and magical dark ride to Alton Towers and would fit in with the Fairy-tale lodge development. I hope you like this idea and I would love to hear your response to this ride idea and your ideas also :)
Coasterfellow

I love that idea! I hate the current Charlie ride and ccl so I would encourage any change. I think that the fairy tale theme is an obvious step forward for the land, especially with the new hotel for 2015. I think it would be cool if your journey was narrated in rhyming couplets. Anyway, I think your idea would make a great addition! :)
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
stealthsmiler

That is a really good idea. When it started I rolled my eyes expecting it to be not that great but as it went along and the detail you went into, it turned into a really good ride, although it would have to be well done which would mean no cutting corners AT. Charlie is a really poor ride so anything to replace it would be good. I also like your idea for the glass elevator although I would use that to include CCL. You fly on a journey and land in the weird and wonderful place of CCL. Then when you leave the ride (which would be themed to look like some sort of station), you would actually be in CCL so it would be like you have actually traveled. Due to the rides location, it could be made so that the entrance is not in CCL but the exit is. CCL could then get a good upgrade to bring it up to the same standard. Or rethemed into another magical land, just not the same as Enchanted Village.
Altontowersbarlow

Thank You for the time you have taken in replying. I understand that this theme seems to follow a typical fairy-tale plot at the beginning of the idea but I am glad you can see the differences and details in this ride design :)
definedancing

Ooh that sounds really interesting! I still miss Toyland Tours to be honest, although Charlie always seems popular with the kids. I agree with you about Cloud Cuckoo Land being an ideal place for the new developments though; I suppose it looks somewhat dated with the addition of CBeebies Land. Honestly I think they could do with getting rid of Twirling Toadstool in the process, as it's very dated seems to be there by default.
I really like your descriptions for what the ride could entail as well. You could even put like some educational spin on it and describe a lot of the history of the area. Not that I'm a fan of educational rides but like you say, incorporating Alton's history into the ride would be fantastic.
stealthsmiler

They cant get rid of TT! I really like that ride as it is fun and a good break from the intense coasters. Plus AT are lacking flats! Rather than get rid of it they could relocate it to adventure land.
definedancing

stealthsmiler wrote:They cant get rid of TT! I really like that ride as it is fun and a good break from the intense coasters. Plus AT are lacking flats! Rather than get rid of it they could relocate it to adventure land.
Okay, we'll compromise on moving it :yes: . I to enjoy TT but I don't know, it just seems to be there with no purpose if you get me. I guess they could re-theme it mind...
JustWill

I don't want CATFC to go. It's a fun and immersive ride experience that all me, my family and friends enjoy (it's also nice if you want to get out of the rain on a cold Scarefest day)
The elevator also never ceases to amaze me.
Removal/ retheme of this ride would be a very bad move by the resort, as it always seems to have a lengthy queue (personally I think they should market it more)
Dan

The only good thing about CATCF is riding it with other TT members :lol

Apart from that it is downright awful and not worthy of a Roald Dahl trademark.
Lee

Dan.N wrote:The only good thing about CATCF is riding it with other TT members :lol

Apart from that it is downright awful and not worthy of a Roald Dahl trademark.
I would like to wholeheartedly disagree - you all try and kill me!! [-(

It's a shame how poorly executed Charlie has been. I'm hoping they fail to renew any the IP license and choose a new venture as there's s much potential for the attractions location and sheer size. A simple, but creatively done boat ride into a fairy tale (that Disney doesn't own) or even theme it around the legend of King Arthur and the moat surrounding the castle; very easy ideas that can be brilliantly themed.
TheBeast

Ok, don't all attack me at once

Im actually a fan of the ride

Despite the fact us as elders don't really see its use any more, it is still a relatively good attraction for younger families (families with younger children). To a child it doesn't really matter about how well it is executed, its about the idea and I think that part of the ride is clever, especially the elevator at the end as I would say most kids would have read it and its all "magical". It comes back to an argument I saw on another forum post- is Alton losing the magic just because we are getting older?

(sorry if some of you still feel the magic and I have just offended you, its only an opinion bear in mind)
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Themeparksandy1981

CCL has lost it's spark since Ice Age 4D took over the area. So when Charlie does get replaced so will the theme of CCL. I think another IP will replace it as that's the way Merlin have been going over the last few years in all parks.
Luce

I'm not a fan of Charlie either and would prefer if it was rethemed and done properly as currently the only part that I quite like is the elevator section.
stealthsmiler

I agree about CCL losing its magic since Ice Age was brought in. Before Ice Age, my trip to Alton didnt feel complete unless I walked through CCL (and Katanga Canyon). Now I never go through it.
Savva0122

Depending on AT's relationship with the BBC there's probably some exciting possibilities for a re theme
Thinking of the "older" demographic, there's Atlantis, Merlin and obviously Dr Who (qv Thorpe Park)
Tom

It could quite easily work with an in house created theme, possibly something related to the Towers themselves.
Luce

Perhaps a ride through the history of Alton Towers would be good as there's a lot of background info they could put into it.
SuperWill

Isn't the contract with the Dahl family expiring next year? Correct me if I am wrong! :P

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
TheBeast

I believe so, I doubt they will re sign the IP though
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
JustWill

Savva0122 wrote:Depending on AT's relationship with the BBC there's probably some exciting possibilities for a re theme
Thinking of the "older" demographic, there's Atlantis, Merlin and obviously Dr Who (qv Thorpe Park)
I'd love to see a Doctor Who dark ride where chrarlie is! I'd be right there, first in queue at the opening ;)

They could turn the elevator into a TARDIS!