The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Tom

I think it's unlikely, but a re-theme of the whole of CCL to a mini Lego land could be a nice idea...
Ben-

I would love a doctor who themed indoor ride named something like genesis or something. the que could have neon lights and the ride will tell you about all the doctors and enemies and then sirens would go of and there would be a 'malfunction' and then you'd drop, the lights would flicker and turn off and as they come back on a weeping angel would be in front of you as well as other enemies. you would get off the ride and then you would to the glass elevator which would now be the TARDIS and as you got of the ride you would exit a different place to where you started. this would be my second favourite ride after the smiler :lol
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
Cobby

Like I said I'm sceptical about the lego rumour but I heard it and thought I'd share. :D I know this would probably not happen but I would like to see it themed around Sir Algenon. The entrance could be like his workshop and the story could be themed around how he found CCL and all of it magical occupants. The boat ride part would take you through the workshop and then you get in the lift part which takes you off to CCL. Like I said I doubt it would happen but it would be quite good and they wouldn't have to change the factory themeing to much.
T0mPr1ce

If I was asked to redevelop Cloud Cuckoo Land with unlimited funds, I would retheme the entire area in-line with the Enchanted Village. The area would be called 'Enchanted Wood', or something similar, to tie in with both the accommodation and pre-existing areas of the park. I would remove Charlie and replace it with a Mack Inverted Powered Coaster, similar to Arthur at Europa Park (minus the IP). I feel this ride would be perfect as it would be a good family addition but thrilling enough to keep all happy. This way the Twirling Toadstool could also be retained without much work, and possibly the Frog Hooper too. I think there's good opportunity to open the cafe out and replace Wobble World with a family-friendly fairytale restaurant/cafe. I wouldn't mind Ice Age going, but I've always wanted AT to bring back a quality ice show - and a fairytale woodland one is rather plausible (Peter Rabbit-esque?).
Nickolai

I like that idea! I would go a little step further and try and link it with Dark Forest to try and add some relationship with the current areas. It could work possibly, as the 'Enchanted Wood' (So many woods :lol) can be for the younger age and then you can work your way up to Dark Forest! I like the idea though and this is just my opinion. ;)
Formally Smiler313
Themeparksandy1981

I think it will be replaced with another IP As that's all Merlin are good at other than coasters.
Tom170499

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:I think it will be replaced with another IP As that's all Merlin are good at other than coasters.
Cough cough, Gruffalo River Adventure....
TheBeast

Given that Alton already have the Ice Age IP for the 4D experience, is it much of a stretch to say that they could well add in more movie-themed IPs? They could make the whole area into an winter wonderland kinda thing, or could even put more kids' film themes on their rides. Im sure the Charlie ride could be included in that if they rebranded it? Or has it already gone? Ive not rly been paying attention to it that much tbh
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
PsychoES

So according to a quick google search of the ride itself, it's apparently permanently closed so it seems very likely we're getting something new in either 2017 or even 2018 depending on how long they take with it
Ladyofthelake

PsychoES wrote:So according to a quick google search of the ride itself, it's apparently permanently closed so it seems very likely we're getting something new in either 2017 or even 2018 depending on how long they take with it
I would be a little bit cautious about going by what Google says about the status of any ride. Anyone can submit an edit to Google, and although it has to be approved normally it's not checked too much. It's not uncommon for attractions to be incorrectly marked as permanently closed incorrectly. It may be that Charlie won't re-open in the same format, but as things stand we simply do not know and we're best waiting for something more concrete than an update to a status on Google :)
Owen

Google isn't smart enough to know about closed season or extended closures as it works on time throughout the week. That's why when it's listed as closed for an extended period of time google will think "that must mean it's permanently closed". Although this can work the opposite way, like Derren Brown's Ghost Train which according to Google is open 10am - 5pm all week. :)
RachaelSwann

I think that all the ideas of basing the ride around Alton's history, with an enchanted forest/sir algenon theme, could be brilliant. Or what about bringing back Henry Hound and giving him his own ride?! :D I personally do not like IPs but I know that they are probably (unfortunately) the future of dark rides, as people like John Wardley himself has said this many a time. It makes me sad though as the whole idea of going to a theme park for me is to escape into an imaginary land and '(insert name of current popular film/TV program here)_the ride' just does not equal to magic in my mind. I mean the Bubbleworks was at Chessington for over twenty five years and still loved, so it proves a non IP ride can be a long term success.
It would have to be kept as a dark ride though as we have such a lack of these in the UK. To be honest I grew up with and loved Toyland Tours so much that is is hard for me to imagine anything else in that building, (I have sort of forgotten my few underwhelming rides on the poorly executed Charlie and the chocolate factory ride). But even 'around the world in 80 days' looks amazing in videos and that was back in the 80s, when darkrides were pretty much a new concept in this country. We need to keep the Magic of Alton Towers alive and another crappy IP retheme just isn't going to do that in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S.J_O'Grady

RachaelSwann wrote:I think that all the ideas of basing the ride around Alton's history, with an enchanted forest/sir algenon theme, could be brilliant. Or what about bringing back Henry Hound and giving him his own ride?! :D I personally do not like IPs but I know that they are probably (unfortunately) the future of dark rides, as people like John Wardley himself has said this many a time. It makes me sad though as the whole idea of going to a theme park for me is to escape into an imaginary land and '(insert name of current popular film/TV program here)_the ride' just does not equal to magic in my mind. I mean the Bubbleworks was at Chessington for over twenty five years and still loved, so it proves a non IP ride can be a long term success.
It would have to be kept as a dark ride though as we have such a lack of these in the UK. To be honest I grew up with and loved Toyland Tours so much that is is hard for me to imagine anything else in that building, (I have sort of forgotten my few underwhelming rides on the poorly executed Charlie and the chocolate factory ride). But even 'around the world in 80 days' looks amazing in videos and that was back in the 80s, when darkrides were pretty much a new concept in this country. We need to keep the Magic of Alton Towers alive and another crappy IP retheme just isn't going to do that in my opinion.

That's exactly my view on IPs, you explained that perfectly - well done! :lol
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Themeparksandy1981

Merlin just look at IP's and see ££££. They tried it with Nemeses Sub terra and failed and now we got Ice age and CBeebies in the park.
There even taking over at Chessington and Thorpe Park.
RachaelSwann

Thank you S.J_O'Grady, glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Fingers crossed we will still get some unique, magical rides in upcoming years and that Merlin parks aren't just a mishmash of IP rides done badly.

KatangaZebra

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
RachaelSwann wrote:I think that all the ideas of basing the ride around Alton's history, with an enchanted forest/sir algenon theme, could be brilliant. Or what about bringing back Henry Hound and giving him his own ride?! :D I personally do not like IPs but I know that they are probably (unfortunately) the future of dark rides, as people like John Wardley himself has said this many a time. It makes me sad though as the whole idea of going to a theme park for me is to escape into an imaginary land and '(insert name of current popular film/TV program here)_the ride' just does not equal to magic in my mind. I mean the Bubbleworks was at Chessington for over twenty five years and still loved, so it proves a non IP ride can be a long term success.

That's exactly my view on IPs, you explained that perfectly - well done! :lol
They may be the future of dark rides, but if a popular theme park like ATR used an original idea it could change it for the better. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I mean that if ATR went against current dark ride "norms" and it delivers, maybe other UK theme parks would use their own ideas to try to compete with Alton Towers.

I would love this idea though. I can imagine at the beginning of the ride some sort of theming to be like the towers with little flickering lights in the windows with the soundtrack at that part of the ride representing the time period the towers were built in. The park needs more references to the towers and the locations of Hex and CATCF are close so I think this could work.
Hari

I don't know if this source is 100% true, but a very sweet elderly lady in the ATH gift shop this weekend told me that there are some definite closures this season. She said Charlie, the Driving School and Wobble World are all permanently closed now. I asked if she had any idea what the plans are and she said I've only been told that. So yeah no more CATCF :(
Sawboss

I thought Driving School was reopening this season? It's on the website, while Charlie and Wobble World are not.
S.J_O'Grady

The line-up has already been officially confirmed -

Hex and Driving School reopening
Ice Age and Toadstool closing
Sub Terra still closed
Wobble World and Charlie removed
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
missmarvel123

Maybe At could use the CATCF building to create an indoor rollercoaster.