Duel: Retheme, Replace or Remove?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Ben-

Scarlyboo22 wrote:I think that Gloomy Wood should have a horror water ride. The horror element could make it really scary. It will bring some thrill seekers missing Nemesis Sub-Terra which at the rate it is going will probably never reopen. It could be indoor or outdoor.
Sorry, I just had to say, after the demolition of The Flume, I've been thinking of the exact same thing! Alton needs a new water ride, and it needs to be a thrilling ride at that. They would obviously have to replace the current building for a bigger one if it was to be a log flume, but I don't really see that happening, so it would probably be the Duel but the kart, and tracks replaced by a lazy river ride but that is a bit too similar to rapids, so if it were to be a water ride what kind would it be?
Ben
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
Scarlyboo22

I think it should probably be along the lines of a shorter flume with animatronics relative to the theming.
TheDuke

I never thought of that, it’d be really cool If it was like the Edinburgh Dungeons but fleshed out more. I'm sure they could find some local story for it.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I think it would be awesome if it was a water horror ride! Maybe it could be themed to the opposite god of the Wicker Man, and have it be themed around a water based god. I feel as if that would be a great addition and could help bring those two together into one section, so that Wicker Man is no longer 'near Mutiny Bay'. 
Dom

I haven't been on Duel since it underwent TLC, but from the whispers i've heard from people, its not overlly great. I think its time they say goodbye to it and do something new. I do adore Duel, especially as the haunted house outside and indoor queue has some charm, but I think its time to do something new with the area if possible.
seanyboyuk

Whatever the rides future is I would be surprised if it was removed as it has a good ride system.

I believe it will get re-themed for many years to come.
Evostance

Just to add my 2c.  First time I've been on it since the TLC.
It's pretty much the same, but I noticed a lot empty sections in the ride.  Also, some of the lights etc need to be sorted as you can see all the mechanic arts for the things moving around which gives a pretty bad experience tbh
Justin

There is still work to be done. It doesn't feel the complete product as some of the figures still need to be repaired as they no longer move.

In the hearse, I actually miss the "smoke" skeletons. The beasts don't work as well. It would also be nice to see some new props and effects added too. It doesn't need much!
Owen

I've said it before and after thinking about it further I still strongly want Duel to see a full re-theme. I feel like the ride is just lacking something even with the overhaul (how many years is this UV paint 'refurb' suppose to take?). Whilst I expect I will be lynched for suggesting the idea, I still strongly believe the best way to take this building is in the IP direction. I would love to see the haunted house utilised as a brand new Ghostbusters 5D attraction similar to that of Heide Park. The building itself seems to be larger that Ghostbusters 5D in Germany, and clearly the area perfectly lends itself to such an attraction. However, just to take you through what I would envision from the attraction...

I think having a Ghostbusters story based in the 'Alton Tower-verse' would be absolutely brilliant, and so I would want to see the facade and decor of Duel stay. That being said, Once inside is where I would change the ride. I would initially change the first section of the indoor queue for duel by extending it and adding a pre-show area. I feel that having this queue build on the story would be very effective as well as allowing for easter eggs from the past attraction being seen within it. In terms of pre-show, maybe taking inspiration from the 2016 film we could see our fellow Ghostbusters explaining a brief backstory of the Haunted House followed by a projection effect of a ghost appearing from a painting (for those who have ridden The Haunting at Drayton Manor, think similar) using the 2016 artstyle as it is somewhat more visually appealing. The ride as a whole would then be similar to Heide Park's however be based - at least partially - within the Hunted House. Blending physical sets and screens, old ideas (spiders) and new ones I could see this being a favourite. This could allow for so many exciting easter eggs along with the up to date ride system and technology that would allow Ghostbusters to stand out. In terms of manufacturers I would expect to see Triotech again, seeing as Merlin have a good relationship with them. 

I would also anticipate a re-do of the shop and photo point as the space will need to be utilised more effectively for an attraction of this scale due to the increased crowd heading through it. Overall, I would honestly prefer this over a new coaster in 2021, and with yet another film coming out soon I feel like I would be a great way to capitalise off of it. I feel like Towers is lacking a really exciting fast paced modern dark ride and this could be that. That's my thoughts on it anyway!
Coaster Chall

It's definitely a fantastic option. Maybe 2020 could be a year for it. Obviously they could just do a Thorpe Park in 2020 (which would suck!) However, I wanna see a CCL Retheme and a Duel overhaul and Ghostbusters 5D would be a good addition. I'd also like to see a classic Haunted House storyline with a modern dark ride system (either the same Duel ride system or a new dark ride system). Even the guns have started faulting a bit this year apparently, so whatever comes, this overhaul needs to be a queue line upgrade, new trains, new station design, gun system replaced/removed, new dark ride system (maybe) and a refurbished shop. Maybe even rename Gloomy Wood.

I also think that the Sally Cooperation Walking Dead dark ride is a good option too. I've seen videos for it and it's remarkable!

A triotech could work! Maybe even one of those Wonder Mountains Guardian type coaster dark rides and have parts of the track outside the building. I always wanted to personally see a Mack Powered Invert like Arthur but themed to Sleepy Hollow or something like Gloomy Wood, but its too small of a site
Wagstaff04

I would love to see a Ghostbusters retheme, but not 5D. The main reason being they’re full of screens, and I greatly prefer physical models. 
Morgan

It'd be nice to see a "soft retheme" if that makes sense- a general fix up with a few minor changes. Mostly just redoing ALL the lighting, speaker set-up, and refurbishing the transit system- maybe ditch the guns too. Just keep the lovely music please!
If Duel was tampered with and fixed, it would easily be one of Europe's best dark-rides, and be a "classic" once again.
abigsmurf

A good way to update the ride would be to add some projection mapping elements. They've already used it on a couple of rides, a ghost train would let them be really creative.
matt_1985x

Got on the other day. Glad that the haze is back but in general I think it needs some work. Like some people have already said, basically, too much is illuminated. Back in the day it was much darker and the lighting was more localized to the gags. I think some serious barn doors are needed. You can see a lot of architecture and the workings of the gags. Also the trommel wasn't working, again - that's one of my favourite parts of the ride but it never seems to be working. I don't know what can go wrong in an effect that seems so simple. I really don't want them to scrap this ride because in has a lot of "potential" for want of a better word, because really it just needs to be reverted back to how it was before the laser upgrade.
Ben-

The worst part of Duel now is the screens in the picture frames - they're so out of place, a ride like that is much better without all the screens. We need a proper new ride, hopefully not a re-theme or one with screens. As I said before, a Gloomy Wood, spooky water ride would be new and unique, and the park needs a water ride, be it a flume or whatever fits.
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
matt_1985x

I don't care what they do, aslong as it's creative. They need to get concept artists, engineers, sculptors, lighting directors and other creatives together.
Dachshund

I went in Duel yesterday. The second grand hall monster, the tunnel and one of it's eyes, a zombie, pillar demon, half the screaming heads and more I think, they were all broken. Plus the new portraits are too bright and the lighting is just terrible. You could see the mechanisms of the bats and heads just as well as the props themselves.

I want them to keep it as a Haunted House but start from scratch, do the shooting idea properly, either ditch the zombies or embrace the zombie theme properly and maybe even have some lifts and drops.

What will actually happen though is they'll give it some out of place IP. It'll bring in crowds but I wish theme parks would realise it's possible to have a good new dark ride that's original and actually fits with the overall theme of the park.
Rollback Ricki

The light installations on Duel certainly reveals too much and spoils the experience. I do feel the original installations were great back in the 90's, but dated now. It's a huge attraction that doesn't really attract very well anymore. The area or zone is a bit bland too.

My daughter suffers with vistibular migraines and doesn't like heavy roller coasters rides, but loves Duel, (along with The Runaway MT, rapids and a few others). I feel retaining the focus on that type of ride or even age range of post-Ceebs and family rides would be good.

I feel a full refurbishment of the Haunted Hollow and Duel is needed to bring it to out compete with other UK dark ride attractions. A haunted Symbolica (Efteling) style ride would be awesome in combining the concepts of what it is. A revamp of the hollow and addition of more flat rides would be good too.
DeadJack5

It's been 2 seasons since Duel received its TLC and honestly, it hasn't done a lot for me. This season has especially has shown the cracks and just how much work is needed. The lighting needs altering once again, the props and effects need fixing and just in general needs reworking. I honestly prefer the ride before it had the TLC work; it just doesn't do it for me.

I think if anything is done with the ride, it needs removing and a new dark ride installed. It's sad as this ride has had such a long history and is a beloved ride; but it needs updating or just removing and being refreshed.
ColaRoaster

Went on it a few weeks back. Stuff wasn't working like the 2nd large demon (he was laying down on the floor) and the trommel and I think the lighting has been improved but still you can see a lot of stuff you never used to be able to. I just feel like this ride is losing more and more of its charm and I'm losing all my sentimentality about it. The walkthrough section is still okay but even that had a lot of effects not working. Most of the stuff I like is stuff that has survived since it was first opened as The Haunted House (back in, what was it, 92?). Why don't Alton Towers fix the broken effects? I'm guessing it's throughput Vs. money or something but it's not like they're short on money. I just wish they would fix all the effects (including replacing the dragon) or start over and create something better. I know that *I* loved this ride and apparently people used to, as when it first opened I remember queueing for 3 hours.. Buuut I'm guessing the throughput wasn't there before it got changed to Duel and now we are left with this shambles. Would it be too much to ask for a decent dark ride? I know we have Gansta Granny coming so maybe I'll feel better after riding that but dammit, I just want Alton Towers to live up to previous expectations and Granny is a short, childrens ride.