At what age can you not handle thrill rides anymore?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
KatangaZebra

My grandad is 70 and said he used to be on this forum a few years ago, but he won't tell me his name on it [-( he still goes on RMT, Thirteen and Air :D
Burniel

Depends on the person ...

My mother is 40, and is showing no sign of stopping. I think she'll be there until at least 60. My dad, however, has had many ear operations in his life, and (even though he's only 42), a single ride on The Smiler knocked him out on our last visit, and he was unable to do any rides afterwards. He also struggles with Colossus, so I reckon it's the many inversions on his ear.

So it depends on the person's life and conditions.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
DeanGaryCox

My dad has had a heart attack and triple heart bypass, but still will go on the rides... it just takes him a while to recover after each ride... he did go as far as telling me he doesn't like rides anymore since his heart problems - he's now 52 - before his heart problems in 2010 he loved rides and nothing would stop him! :(
panzerguy77

My grandparents hate rides, my dad dislikes them but I like them (bar nemesis). Here is the general lifecycle of a theme park visitor, though don't rage at me as it isn't the same for everyone.

Ages 0-10: Likes small and gentler rides.
11-29: Thrillseeking, going on all the big rides.
30-39: Liking slower rides, indifferent to thrill rides.
40-54: Dislikes big rides.
55-69: Only goes on small rides.
70-120: Doesn't really go on any rides.
Alex

I think that's a bit of a sweeping statement, there are plenty of older people who can do all the rides so to categorise it like that would be wrong.

As an example my dad according to you is in the "dislikes big rides" section verging on "only goes on small rides". This couldn't be further from the truth as he will do any ride.
lf2001

My grandad is in his early 60's and he stil loves rides! Although I can't see him riding Oblivion again!
Mark-Cal

:roll: I think on my future visits to the Towers I should probably go and have a nice little lie down in the gardens while my kids go on all those horrible nasty rides without me.
I need to consider my poor brittle bones and start acting my age (48) a bit more.
Riding those scary roller coasters is obviously for youngsters not old fogies like me, so please try and keep the noise down in future, none of that shouting and screaming because it'll disturb my nap under the Pagoda with all the other fogies over 35 !
panzerguy77

I was generalizing, majority of older people don't enjoy theme parks and they will be the ones not on this site. There will be exceptions of course, but from my experience as people get older they become less willing to go on rides.
sw7nutter

Today i managed to get my grandma who is 78 years old on top thrill dragster. I dont think there is a limit on age where you cant handle them.
thrillseeker

Or theme parks in general? I'm 28 and go to Alton Towers several times a year with a few of my friends but one friend in particular (he's 29) who has no interest in going reckons theme parks (especially Alton Towers) is designed for teenagers only and that I'm getting a bit old to be going now since I don't have children to take with me. His idea is that when you get past the age of 21 there should be a ban on adults going in unless you have children with you because by that age you should have matured past the theme park stage and it's just sad when adults won't let go of their childhood. I love Alton Towers and will never consider myself too old to go so my question is: can you ever be too old for theme parks like he suggests?
Kleo

I'm 24 and I've noticed more recently I can't do the spinning rides. I think you could sit me on rides like Nemesis all day and I would be fine but last year my niece found out she had a rather big liking for Air Race and DM. I think I went on it 5 times with her and have never felt so bad. I tend to know my limits now and don't go on spinney flat rides. I seem okay with everything else!
Thank You NemesisRider for my signature :)
Dom

I'm 27 and i also can't handle spinny rides. I did 5 times on Dragon's Fury during a TTSP event and i regretted it. I also have found that i can't handle mutliple rides on coasters that invert (Except Swarm for some reason, but even that can sometimes cause an issue). I also can't do backwards or rocking mutliple times. I'm such a bad enthusiats, can't handle the rides now. I guess its different for each individual person.
Kleo

I found that The Swarm made me feel less sick when I got off than when I got on it! I find what I eat can have a big impact on how I feel after rides. Fast food and rides are not a good mix!!!
Thank You NemesisRider for my signature :)
addis

My mother is 67 and her favourite ride is Oblivion, she just wished it would go around twice each turn!!
Aidan Lowe

Your mother has great taste in coasters. Still find Oblivion to be in a class of its own at AT even if its only that one drop, love the sensation.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Smiffy107

my dad is like 40 odd and he can't handle rollercoasters like he could when he was my age (currently 23) he went on corkscrew when he was like 18, the last time we went to AT, he went ona few coasters then he felt super ill, so we went back to the campsite. :(
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
Adam.W

My dad is 42 and he still does all the big rides, apart from Oblivion which he doesn't really do too much. He also doesn't do flat rides, so he won't go on the blade, ripsaw, etc, but sometimes goes on enterprise. He went into coaster 'retirement' a while back, but I think he might be coming out of it :lol
alicheesy

At 53, my dad handles rides so well that he claims they LOWER his pulse because they are relaxing :lol I feel I am following in his footsteps because I felt I could sleep on The Smiler in the dark
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
Resilient

I guess it really depends on your health. If you've got a weak heart then its not sensible to do a big ride. Just keep fit :D
I meant to come back to put out bliss but the styles crumbling...
LittlestarRed

I turned 36 yesterday, and I will still ride any thrill ride or coaster all day long! I look forward to my kids growing tall enough for me to nag them to try the bigger rides out! (they're 10 and 8, and terrified at the sight of most of them!).

I have friends and family members (of a similar age or older) who no longer enjoy those kinds of rides, but I LOVE them!