At what age can you not handle thrill rides anymore?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
cloudeleven

At what age can you not physically handle thrill rides (the spinning or flipping-upside type like the Mondial Top Scan and Huss Break Dance) without getting sick? I'm 33 now and not getting any younger and starting to wonder...I can still handle these rides pretty well, and I've never had any motion sickness, but is there a general age range where you start to feel sick from these rides?
Kirsty25

I don't think there is, our oldest active members are mid 4, but that's not to say older people aren't still thrillseekers xxx
bex

i don't think there will ever be an age where you cannot handle them anymore. My dad is 46 and loves them. He can handle it very well indeed. Your still young so enjoy it. The more you go on them as you get older the less chance of you not being able to handle it :D
Jack

it's not necessarily an age that stops you from riding, it all depends on your physical state, and how much your body can take, hence why most rides aren't put to have age limits, but stop you riding if you have back problems, neck problems etc and.

I also believe after riding so much stuff, you can get to a point where your body gets used to the forces and flipping upside down and all that, and you stop feeling nausea on rides (at least, this is what me dad has come to believe :lol)
stealthsmiler

I believe it depends on the person and dread that day when it comes for me. I have a friend who s 46 and said shes way to old for it all now. She hasn't been to a theme park for years so I argued 'your never too old' and she agreed to come to alton towers once to give it a go, last time she went AT they didn't even have Oblivion.
tallicay2k

My NANs 76 and still loves oblivion and nemesis. So no there isn't a stopping age.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Martin

I'm 45 this July and John will be 53 in October.
We love all different types of rides.
The only reason we will ever stop doing them,will be through health issues,not age.
Hopefully we will both still be riding in to our 80s/90s.
Bring Em On.....lol
bex

Martin wrote:I'm 45 this July and John will be 53 in October.
We love all different types of rides.
The only reason we will ever stop doing them,will be through health issues,not age.
Hopefully we will both still be riding in to our 80s/90s.
Bring Em On.....lol
You Never know Air could of been replaced by then or they could of made a major breakthrough with technology and a new type of coaster could of been invented by then who knows... The possibilities are endless :D
ponder

Like others have said, I don't believe that age is an issue, but your health will certainly be a big factor and the two will usually be linked. It's not just obvious illnesses such as back injury or heart disease either, but illnesses such as MS and thyroid conditions can be exacerbated by thrill rides.

The key thing is to know your body and understand your limits. It's not a weakness to avoid certain attractions if they're going to put you at any risk, even if these are rides you've experienced many times in the past.
Tupperwarequeen

I turned 40 last year and have done 'big rides' for the first time this season - and I'm loving it. I've just got to tackle oblivion and smiler and I'll have done all the rides at ATR. Hoping to go to Thorpe later in the year!
sw7nutter

My mum still rides and shes mid 50's.
DeanGaryCox

well i'm now 20 and can handle lots of rides... but as i'm getting older they effect me more giving me headaches, but mainly i can't do lots of spinning rides any more as i just feel plain sick! i hate to think what the future holds lol!
Dan

I'm 27 and have no issue going on rides over and over again. I always carry ibuprofen and plenty of water with me though whenever I visit a park just in case I get a headache but in terms of my body being able to cope with thrill rides I have no problem :)
Aidan Lowe

There was a couple on Nemesis on Wednesday and I would say they were around 60+. As long as medically your ticker is capable I don't think their is an age.
Themeparksandy1981

The Thrill rides at Thorpe Park the last time I went in 2011 made me feel rough all day. Even Nemesis Inferno makes me feel sick after riding it.
Not sure about Alton Towers thrill rides as other than the coasters I really only go on Duel,Sub terra&Hex as Im bored of the towers thrill rides now. There not been the same passion for them since Boneshaker and the Astrodancer were removed 10 years ago. I am looking forward to riding Drayton Manor Air Race ride.
walshawblue

I,m 65 and still riding everything except smiler cos its been broke the three times ive visited since it opened,so looking forwards to the experience next time i go .
adrenalinejunkie

I'm 46 & will ride anything they build. Even queued for 3 hours for The Smiler last year. Found that things like Samurai at Thorpe Park make me want to puke so tend to stick to coasters. Hands up all the way!
CrewePj45

I'm now 49 and still riding the coasters.
Takes a bit more out of me than 5 years ago, so no running run to ride over and over again.
Only ride I have real issue with is Stealth at Thorpe Park.
Sentri558

Seriously depends on the person.
My Mum is 47, I wont say she's fat but she is a bit above average. I'm still trying to convince her TH13RTEEN is calmer than air and she would enjoy it :3

My Dad is 53, retired and waited 3 hours without me to go on the smiler (Hoping I can man the heck up when I go in a month)
aircanman

I'm 30 and Nemesis does give me a stinking headache, cheeky devil.