What's The Smiler like?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Luce

I'd also add that it's worth bracing yourself in case you happen to get one of the trains that's rough or try and get the front row which is generally smoother :)
Aidan Lowe

Agreed, just tense yourself up and become rigid :lol flapping around in those restraints will cause bruising :p
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
tallicay2k

Andy Mc wrote:Agreed, just tense yourself up and become rigid :lol flapping around in those restraints will cause bruising :p
Flapping around is what I do :) hands up! Take the risk!
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Aidan Lowe

I'm a chunky fellow so I don't have that issue but yea hands in the air for me as well.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Sentri558

As a thin person, I use my height to my advantage. First time I went on The Smiler, the dreaded car number 3 was waiting for me, row 3 as well, just to make lemons into unripe lemons. By pressing my legs against the floor of the car, I was able to push my shoulders into the harness, causing barely any issues for me! When I got off, my legs were a little bit sore, but I got to put my hands up the whole way!

Anywho, I know I'll get flak for saying this, but The Smiler isn't too different from Nemesis; with more inversions and tech to its name, and a slightly more... Clinical feel to the new harnesses, The Smiler only lacks:
A. a decent layout
B. a 'natural' feel
C. LOOP DE LOOPS (specifically the 0-G loop. Best thing ever.)
D the helix
tallicay2k

Sentri558 wrote:As a thin person, I use my height to my advantage. First time I went on The Smiler, the dreaded car number 3 was waiting for me, row 3 as well, just to make lemons into unripe lemons. By pressing my legs against the floor of the car, I was able to push my shoulders into the harness, causing barely any issues for me! When I got off, my legs were a little bit sore, but I got to put my hands up the whole way!

Anywho, I know I'll get flak for saying this, but The Smiler isn't too different from Nemesis; with more inversions and tech to its name, and a slightly more... Clinical feel to the new harnesses, The Smiler only lacks:
A. a decent layout
B. a 'natural' feel
D the helix
I think the layout of the ride is brilliant. The fact they have fitted a mahhoosive ride within a relatively small area and the jangle mess of metal track is brilliant. Imo standing in the queue is exciting, I love watching the ride whizz passed pretty close to our heads.
My fave part of the ride is by far the second bunny hop.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Sentri558

tallicay2k wrote:
Sentri558 wrote:As a thin person, I use my height to my advantage. First time I went on The Smiler, the dreaded car number 3 was waiting for me, row 3 as well, just to make lemons into unripe lemons. By pressing my legs against the floor of the car, I was able to push my shoulders into the harness, causing barely any issues for me! When I got off, my legs were a little bit sore, but I got to put my hands up the whole way!

A. a decent layout
B. a 'natural' feel
D the helix
I think the layout of the ride is brilliant. The fact they have fitted a mahhoosive ride within a relatively small area and the jangle mess of metal track is brilliant. Imo standing in the queue is exciting, I love watching the ride whizz passed pretty close to our heads.
My fave part of the ride is by far the second bunny hop.
I was watching some off-ride footage I found of the ride on my PC earlier, and agree that the layout is VERY space efficient. The queue line is pretty cool, but the spider structure is the best part.

What I meant to say was that unlike Nemesis, you aren't darting in and around tunnels, overhangs, by rivers and sheer cliff faces. That's the coolest part of a coaster IMO.

Also, there isn't a front seat queue, which sucks. Lots.
Stan.H

the smiler is great (i was on it earlier today) it has got a bit ruffer, and the water spray doesnt work but the the vlift is fine.
MerlinFan

Every element of the The Smiler is great fun and last time I went we were lucky enough to get front row :D

I do find it very dizzying - the VLift is actually a moment of relief for me so I can get my bearings again.
vikkimoo

I've always found the last two inversions to be very rough, and yesterday I proper whacked my head on the restraint coming out of the twelfth one as well. Managed to get on the front row and to me it felt very wild and out of control, which is disconcerting but also kind of the point (and LOADS of fun!). Came off grinning like goons!
Stan.H

vikkimoo wrote:I've always found the last two inversions to be very rough, and yesterday I proper whacked my head on the restraint coming out of the twelfth one as well. Managed to get on the front row and to me it felt very wild and out of control, which is disconcerting but also kind of the point (and LOADS of fun!). Came off grinning like goons!
Defo, that happened on saturday!
Adam.W

I don't really like the harnesses, they become really tight, because if they get tight, you can't move them back an inch. Especially when you get stuck halfway around the track whilst being crushed
Ripsaw Raver

I have to say ive had some rather smooth rides on TheSmiler over the past 2 Days, Inoculator and Ticker seems to be back up and running aswell, House lights were off in the tunnel, only light seems to be from some drainage area.
Shame about the lack of strobes in the Correction Block.
All in all had a really good time, and got some HQ ish pictures of the exit path =]
Stan.H

Ripsaw Raver wrote:I have to say ive had some rather smooth rides on TheSmiler over the past 2 Days, Inoculator and Ticker seems to be back up and running aswell, House lights were off in the tunnel, only light seems to be from some drainage area.
Shame about the lack of strobes in the Correction Block.
All in all had a really good time, and got some HQ ish pictures of the exit path =]
When did you go??
sum1mad wrote:I don't really like the harnesses, they become really tight, because if they get tight, you can't move them back an inch. Especially when you get stuck halfway around the track whilst being crushed
I agree, they also smell damp and sweaty!!
Last edited by lewis97 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double posts
Ripsaw Raver

When did you go??
I was there all of yesterday and went in this morning aswell
The first inversion was really quite dark, you could see the floor on the drop but only because of a small hole closest to the shop exit area and the strobes being used
Stan.H

Ripsaw Raver wrote:
When did you go??
I was there all of yesterday and went in this morning aswell
The first inversion was really quite dark, you could see the floor on the drop but only because of a small hole closest to the shop exit area and the strobes being used
kk, cause' on opening day it really was quite ruff!! ](*,)
Ripsaw Raver

i still think it depends on the train, there was one shaky car on the back of one of the trains.
Or maybe having ridden Gwazi-Desperado-NewYorkNewYork Coaster and Green Lantern at SFMM I find TheSmiler not to bad lol
Morgan

So I am a bit confused about loading...
I use disabled access, is there a specific row I should go for? Really excited for Saturday now :3
Jack

Once you get into the correction block, the 4 different queues meet and are sent up the stairs, one of the hosts will sign the disabled pass cars as usual and you will be sent up to the station and you will just be told to go into the next empty row :)
Morgan

Thanks! Let's hope no row 3 [emoji14]