How do you feel about re-riding rides?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
newrider

I was having a lengthy discussion with a friend on the topic of re-riding attractions (on very quiet days when this is feasible, of course!).

I personally like to mix it up a bit (i.e. ride Nemesis once, then move on to something else, and only after having ridden every ride will I repeat). i.e. a ride pattern like "ABCDEFABCDFC" (if that makes any sense!).

My friend, on the other hand, likes to ride the same ride repeatedly until he's ready to move on - for a ride pattern like AAABBBCCCDDDDEEEEFFF.

I was thinking that doing this almost "spoils" the ride (I don't want to get so familiar with Nemesis that I know its every single twist and turn) - I also like to have a bit of time for the "buzz" to wear off... and mixing up rides means I get to do more walking and rides on the skyride, which I really like. But he (correctly) observed that you can get in more rides in total that way due to less walking (and also he doesn't have an MAP and therefore goes less frequently than I do, so maybe he feels more of a need to get "value for money").

What do you guys do? Am I in the minority - or is he?

Thanks!
NR
NickiFan

I usually do things once then want to do it again, mainly with Oblivion and Nemesis but I also do one ride, move on and go back. It depends how I feel :P
maliluph

I'll do a ride twice, maybe three times but that's usually it before I move on.
Kirsty25

For me it depends, when I was at Thorpe last week, I did a bit of both, though on swarm I got off and walked back through the queue, nemesis inferno we just literally stayed on for 5 derides but also went on stealth twice.
DeanGaryCox

I have done pretty much every ride every time I've been to Thorpe and Alton these last couple of years... And of course I've done lots of re rides as I go off peak quite often. I would prefer to do one of each and go back, but it's not always practical due to time and how spread out the rides are, so have done things like nemesis 4 times in a row with no queue, and X like 5 times in a row - it does mean you know the ride exactly, but I like the satisfaction of knowing I made the most of my day by going on as many times as possible! :)
Luviico

For me getting value for money means getting on as many different rides as possible due to the fact I don't visit the park very often. On the few times I visit AT I like to have one go per ride and then move on to the next area then if I have time at the end of the day I will go back to my favourites and re-ride. If Oblivion's queue is non existent I will keep running round again and again till the park closes. :D
Burniel

I like to split the park up into 4 sections:
  • Forbidden Valley
  • Dark Forest and Cloud Cuckoo Land
  • Mutiny Bay, Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood
  • X-Sector and Sonic Spinball
I agree that it's better to have a little break before riding again, but it's a big park, so I go to one of these sections, do the rides, then do anything in the section I want to repeat then move to the next section and I usually won't return to the section. It goes a bit like:
ABCABCDEFDEFGHIGHIJKLJKL if that makes sense.

This means I can do rides twice and have a break, but I don't have to waste loads of time walking or getting the skyride :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
xnatillyx

I enjoy re-riding rides , helps get your moneys worth.
Last year there wasn't many queues so we got a lot of re-rides.
we tend to ride the rides we want to once , if there is any we particularly like we will ride again. then after everything is done we go back to any we fancy riding even more.
last year my fiance went on oblivion twice. We went on duel twice in a row , the once more later on. The flume twice in a row and then once more later on. The rapids twice at separate times would have been more but ran out of time :( , mine train i think we went on twice in a row then once later on.
The flume and duel re-rides we got to stay on , which was cool. Loved not having to queue again. Hoping this year to get on even more rides & more times. My fiance going single rider helps us get on a hell of a lot of rides which is brill , means i don;t wait long for hm and we have time to re-ride.

Another highlight was Blackpool pleasure beach last year. Wow we did some re-rides. we went on the Alice ride , Rockets as i call them a good 2 times. The steeplechase we re-rode 3 times in a row , we had to get off but it was a quick walk to re-ride. But the new wallace & gromit ride we rode at least 5 times throughout the day. we loved it. Most i have rode a ride in one day before. so fun
tallicay2k

If I've got the chance to re-ride then of course ill do it but I'm for one to mix em up.
That changes tho depending on what ride it is and what the normal queue time is. For example. If it's a ride that usually has a long queue (I.e Rita, Air) but is a walk on then ill do it as many times I can in one go.
When The smiler becomes one of those rides then ill just camp at X-Sector and pummel both oblivion and smiler for the whole of my admission fare lol :)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
stealthsmiler

Depends for me really, I do a bit of both. I normally re-ride at least twice (Ride with the group and then we all jump in the single rider queue), but Blivy gets 3 or even 4. Then when i've done them all, I go back to my favourites and re ride again. (at which point i'm normally alone, as I refuse to eat in a theme park (waste of time) where as the rest of the group normally do eat). But thats only at AT, Thorpe normally gets one ride per ride, as I dont go there that often so feel the need to go on every ride, where as AT, I've been hundreds of times, so only ride my favourites as I have been on all the rides before
Liam-AltonTowers

For me if the ride has a short queue and is worth re-riding then I'll go on it again. Like The Smiler is amazing but I wouldn't wanna queue another hour or so for it again.
Michelle

I usually don't like to re-ride too much as I get a bit of motion sickness :lol the exception being Oblivion, I love doing that several times in a row :D Water rides I would only re-ride if the weather was amazing, but unfortunately that's when the queues for them are longest :lol
Dom

I've done stealth five times in a row when the queue was dead and and it was walk on. The very light rain helped the queue. I loved it and would do repetitive rides if i was in a park on my own
Martin

I don't actually mind reriding.
If the park I'm on is quiet i will do it.
However I do like a variation,so won't spend to much time on the same one.
Last May John and I did The Hulk coaster at Universal 10 times on the trot as it was so quiet....AMAZING
lf2001

I usually go on all the rides I want to go on first, then leave my re-rides till' after I've been on all the rides I want to. Sometimes I re-ride when I have got off the ride, but that's usually if there's a ride other people who are with me really want to go on, and I don't. For example, last year I visited with the family and we'd just come off Oblivion. Half of them wanted to go on Enterprise, and the other half (including me) didn't. So we ended up riding Oblivion again.
awsomelycoolboy

It all depends on queue times and how long I have left. If there was basicly no queue I would go on it, but if the queue is more than the next ride I am planning to go on, then I'll skip going again. But as I said, it all depends on the queue times and how long I have left.
RCandrew

I'd hate to have ridden oblivion, for example, 4 times in the morning and then run out of time at the end of the day for a ride I haven't been on yet so I prefer to do them all then go back! Usually, if possible, it's best to do all, go back and do each as many times as I can!
The exception is in ERT, for example last year I went on nemesis twice, rita three times and thirteen three times between 9-10:15, then I made my way around the rest :)
awsomelycoolboy

for example last year I went on nemesis twice, rita three times and thirteen three times between 9-10:15, then I made my way around the rest
wow. How did you manage to travel from one end of the park to the other? Nemmy 2 times and go straight to rita do that 3 times then do th13teen 3 times in 5 minuets... Or are you just overexaggeratig? (XD man that is hard to spell! I think I even spelt it wrong)
[move]I have officially been Corrected[/move]
Zach

I think re-rides are great, but that's coming from a person who goes to Alton towers quite often. I can quite happily go on park and spend most of my day in one area of the park for example over last season and most of the start of this season Forbidden Valley was particularly quiet as plenty of people just went to x-sector and I would quite happily re ride nemesis and air over and over sitting in different seats for different experiences. However I don't agree on people re-riding rides over and over to rack up a ride count and boast about it, I mean its not a competition and that just gets my back up quote "how many times you done it today?" I quote a low count of 3 or 4 to be replied with "oh that's nothing come on catch up" that annoys me! :box: :whistle: But if I was to look at it from the perspective of a none enthusiast or someone who just goes to Alton Towers once or twice a year I agree re-rides are pointless because you'd want to get on as many of the rides on offer and don't forget Alton offer over 50+ rides and attractions! ;)
ponder

Depends entirely on the length of the queue. If there is little to no queue, then I'll get in a few re-rides while I have the opportunity. Especially if it's early in the day and it's likely the queue for that particular attraction will get longer and longer as the day goes on.

It depends on the ride, too. I could re-ride Oblivion 5-10 times in a row easily, but I would probably call it a day on Saw or Colossus after 2 rides. Also, if you're somewhere that you're unlikely to visit again any time soon (another country, for example) then I'd try and cram in a few re-rides if the queues permit.