RollerCoaster Tycoon 4

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Big Dave

All I want is to have a realistic game (no cheesey cartoon characters) that runs smoothly, because even on my desktop PC RCT3 runs slow especially if I try to run it in night mode and its not as if Im running an old PC either.

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3.00GHz
8Gb DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 graphics card
Total available graphics memory 3835 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2811 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.723.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1600x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10
Running off two Intel SSDs in RAID.

Hardly a slow computer really is it.
Doopy Dan

Somethings not right there by the sounds of it, a system like that should run RTC3 flawlessly.

I have seen slower systems than that run RCT3 flawlessly with big parks and full graphic settings.

But thats bad/inefficient programming for ya, which needs improvement for the next installment for sure.
DiogoJ42

:lol: I have an intel i7 quad core, and 12GB of RAM, and I still can't run RCT at full spec if I have More than a few large rides. It's a feature of RCT3.
Big Dave

My point exactly. I "should" be able to, but as Diogo said, that simply is not the case!

Strange as I can run NL coaster simulator with much much higher graphics and yet go no stutter at all.

There are also several major faults in RCT3. Tower rides have a few problems not allowing people to load/offload correctly. None of your rides seem to ever get a queue as people most of the time just walk around aimlessly. They really need sorting out if they are going to make a new version.
Nightfall

It’ll be because the game is based on 2005 computer systems. There is an old game called Black and White that used to crash because my computer wasn't powerful enough. Now the computer is powerful enough but the newer system causes it to crash because it’s less compatible :anger:

A RCT4 would certainly be better for modern machines. However the specs will obviously be a lot higher than any of the older games.
[align=center]Image[/align]
DiogoJ42

You play B&W? :D that game was EPIC! Although B&W2 was better.
Nightfall

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]You play B&W? :D that game was EPIC! Although B&W2 was better.[/quote]
Yes it was EPIC. Personally I prefer the first as the gameplay was more fun even though it was terribly glitchey. Actually look up the head designer Peter Molyneux at some point. Him and John Wardley have a lot in common 8-[ both Gods of their industry :P

Anyway back on topic I actually hope the graphics aren’t too realistic. It would be great to mod it with realistic scenery but games that use over-exaggerated characters with slightly bold graphics tend to age slower. Realistic is also a lot harder to process, especially when there are 2,000 + people in a park.
[align=center]Image[/align]
BigAl

Perhaps something in between then? Old Sims games style chracters maybe? Much more realistic but nothing too special. Sims Bustin Out style peeps anyone?
DiogoJ42

Am I the only one that couldn't give a toss about the people in RCT3? :? I build rides for me, not for them. All they do is slow the game down and get in the way! :P
BigAl

I like watching the little peeps enjoy themselves. I prefer my parks full as they look sad and boring when they're empty. Obviously the rides and scenery are the most important aspects of the game but the other little details make it much more enjoyable and appealing to others who perhaps aren't as interested in realism and coaster stats. That's why the series has been so popular as they appeal to enthusiats and those just after something to mess around with. The RCT series has that balance which is why many people continue to play the games 11 years after the title was born. There's a little something for everyone!
[Archive]

There should be the possibility of accidents and death like in the previous two versions. For example, bad maintenance levels or ride age = bigger chance of accident. Also, peeps should be able to die when drowning for too long or falling from heights. Although it is fun watching them scrmble all over the place when you remove the path from under their feet. :P
daveclarkedaveclarke

anyone get it to work on vista?

Can u let me know how if u do
Mitch

Personally I want it to be fun, simple and something I won't get bored with.

I agree with some extent that there should be more flexibility but if you REALLY want to build coasters at any possible angle then you have No Limits. What made RCT appeal to me more than NL was the fact that it was much easier to use even if it does look less realistic.

Similarly, I think having to make custom textures for buildings, rides, paths would be too time consuming and I reckon I would lose interest in the game pretty quickly. Again, if you're into that sort of thing there is always No Limits.

As much as I love building my parks, I also love seeing it come to life, so I would like more touches of realism in the next update such as peeps using the rides, station gates, fastrack/better queuelines and I reckon closed seasons and a more realistic construction time would be absolutely brilliant. Also making everything take up less space would be great. Some of the rides take up ridiculously large footprints.

So personally, I'd rather have a more realistic expansion of the current RCT3 and obviously it being able to be able to import custom scenery which has already been made. It's the little things which make me happy.

Oh and finally... put in a goddamn Screamin' Swing! :P
DiogoJ42

[quote=""Mitch""]So personally, I'd rather have a more realistic expansion of the current RCT3 ...[/quote] I'm starting to think the same thing.

Oh, and a CFR Screaming Swing can be found here ;)
Mitch

^Yeah I've seen that Screamin' Swing around a few places but I don't really like the look of it. I made myself a structure of it using custom scenery instead. There's another more realistic version which should be coming out any day now also which I'm waiting for. :)
Joelio

Realistically, I wouldn't be surprised if they're more than into development, they only have to look on the RCT3 forums (or wherever) to see thats its still played to excess by enthusiats and fans alike, they'd be foolish not to develop a sequel.

However, in a development cycle, the odds of them adding anything from a vast list of responses by me or anyone is extremely slim. If they are to be developing a 4th game, they'll more than likely know whats going into it as of yet, and you'll (if you're lucky) be waiting another 6 months or so for the ideas presented to be put into a game in some form of expansion pack or packs.

/negativity

I'd love 8 player co-op, kinda like Viva Pinata, but for RCT, so you and 3 other friends can work together making the "ultimate" themepark.

Freeform spline tracks, instead of fixed pieces, simply placing the start and end point of a curve, and manipulating it between those points, or have base templates you can manipulate.

Theme park templates, such as a Disney style Hub and Spokes, or an Islands of Adventure style park with it still being a sandbox.

Arbitrary targets for the sandbox game, so you can achieve mini goals over the years etc.
shane790_0

I cant get my head round RCT3 :oops: :(

Think I will stick to RCT2 lol
BigAl

Something like Duel or Tomb Blaster would be good. A tracked ride and interactive CS with score monitors and the winner at the end gets off the ride and cheers whilst the others stare at the ground looking ashamed.

Also, an arcade with slot machines and those coin drop things, etc... You could earn lots of money from an arcade to put into your theme park. You can specify what games you want, where they will go and their graphics/style.
joshc807

I think it would be good if the rides could have real problems, like injuries and deaths? to make it more challenging
BigAl

If RCT4 has seasons then I'd like to see trees that loose their leaves and leaves that change colour. Also, the certain plants flower at certain times of the year.