Lightwater Valley

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Symaxius

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to thank you for posting this. Its really made our day here at The Valley!

If anyone is interested in organising an enthusiasts day out, please drop me an email! I'll be sure to look out for you all.

simon@lightwatervalley.co.uk

Kind Regards,

Simon
captain

Very impressive! Am I correct in thinking last year's event sold out?
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
Symaxius

Hello everyone!

Hope we're all well :)

We're very excited to announce that the Frightwater microsite is now up and running!

http://www.frightwater.co.uk

(I hope the link worked!)

Kind Regards,

Simon
Symaxius

Yeah it did, we're expecting it to this year too!

We're keeping the price down though - we know its tough out there for everyone at the moment.
themealgang

I went for my birthday back in May, and I have got to say that I absolutely fell in love with the place. Okay, so it may not be the best "theme" park in the country, but there are moments of brilliance. Raptor Attack is absolutely fantastic; very smooth and forceful and the theming inside is just superb. In addition, The Ultimate has to be one of the most intense rides I have ever come across; I just LOVED it. The queue lines there never seem to get ludicrously big, and with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, Lightwater Valley really is an incredible place to visit.

Did I also mention that they tend to operate their flat rides manually? Take that Merlin... :-)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
AstroDan

Manually because they are under nowhere near the pressure of queue lengths nor operating hours per season. Lightwater attract a tiny number of guests compared to the likes of Alton towers.

Merlin regulate the programmes on rides so that they can ensure throughputs and know the wear and tear on rides. Small parks don't so much need to concern with this.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Nathan

Whirlwind is the only manually operated ride anyway.
themealgang

I could swear that the ride op on the KMG Afterburner was pushing the buttons at all times... that thing did spin and get a lot higher than the likes of Vortex that is operated on a programme. Anyway, Lightwater is a fabulous place. I hope they keep on growing from strength to strength.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dormiens-Dave

The reason LWV gets a lot of enthusiast credit is they truely seem to be the only park in the UK where the management seem to be genuinly enthusiastic about the park and supportive towards enthusiasts. Why other parks don't is beyond me, i think we are seen by the likes of Alton Towers as an irritation yet LWV seems to recognise the sheer amount of word-of-mouth publicity enthusiasts provide.
Nathan

[quote=""themealgang""]I could swear that the ride op on the KMG Afterburner was pushing the buttons at all times... that thing did spin and get a lot higher than the likes of Vortex that is operated on a programme.[/quote]

Eagles Claw has three programs.
Jubby

Anyone know how good the fireworks are?
Nathan

They're okay.

Nowhere near the standard of Alton Towers, but they're good for a park of Lightwater's size.

The lake does look awesome though with the woods at the side illuminated with different coloured lights.

They last about 20 minutes. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gazag

anyone be up for a 2 day trip of frightwater on the saturday and alton on the sunday?
John

I was considering it for a while, but the park is likely to be very busy and they can't really cope with large crowds. I might be going the first or second weekend in October though for my Ultimate fix
Tom G

Vortex and Samurai are appalling in comparison to the equivalent flats at any other UK park. You should never want to bother with them ever again if you've been on their superior cousins elsewhere.

Nathan, when I visited weekend before last, it seemed like Whirlwind was bing run on a programme as the op (white haired John) was sat back the whole time during the cycle?
Nathan

There is no auto-system on it.
Pennywise

What's so good about Lightwater Valley you ask?

Nothing. Nothing whatsoever. The park has two rides which make it a worthwhile theme park; The Ultimate, obviously, which is a Marmite coaster. Personally I do love it, but can certainly see why some people may have a differing view. That thing is insanely rough. The other is Raptor Attack, which doesn't actually seem to be mentioned that often on here, but I'd personally rank it ahead of Space Mountain (Orlando) and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (again, Orlando) both in terms of dark ride 'experience and in terms of layout.

Beyond that I find it really hard to understand the love for Lightwater Valley on TTF and, indeed, much prefer neighbouring Flamingo Land, which boasts three reasonably good coasters, along with a zoo. Admittedly I'm yet to visit the new pirate area, which may change my opinion to an extent. But I'm afraid temporary rapids rides, travelling fairground coasters (Twister) and generic, unthemed flat rides (Eagle's Claw, Whirlwind) do nothing for me. The food offerings are also atrocious.

Please, please don't get me wrong. They do plenty right; free car parking, no fastrack etc, and nobody can fault the effort that the park management put in, but the theme park simply isn't as good as TTFers make out that it is, most likely because of their constant bumming of enthusiasts (I don't mean that in a bad way, Lightwater, I'm just saying that it has definitely influenced some peoples' opinions of the place) through compliments to the site and giving away free tickets.

Personally... and this could be controversial, I would compare the park to Oakwood in terms of size and quality, and would consider Oakwood to be a preferable day out. Though that's just me.
Blaze

D4n, please close the door on your way out.
James6

I've not managed to get to the park yet and even I LOVE LWV :P :lol:
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Nathan

[quote=""D4n""]What's so good about Lightwater Valley you ask?

Nothing. Nothing whatsoever. The park has two rides which make it a worthwhile theme park; The Ultimate, obviously, which is a Marmite coaster. Personally I do love it, but can certainly see why some people may have a differing view. That thing is insanely rough. The other is Raptor Attack, which doesn't actually seem to be mentioned that often on here, but I'd personally rank it ahead of Space Mountain (Orlando) and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (again, Orlando) both in terms of dark ride 'experience and in terms of layout.[/quote]

Not even past the first paragraph and you've already contradicted yourself.