Lightwater Valley

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

I like lightwater, but feel it is very overrated on the forum.

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Lightwater - for me - is an average park, mainly because their key flat rides I detest, that's not the parks fault, obviously. I can see why it appeals to many, the staff are brilliant their coasters are great and their flat rides appeal to the majority.

It does suffer in other areas though, their food selection is appauling and they really need a new major ride. They can't hold onto The Ultimate as their key selling point forever and they have plenty of room (more so than most parks) to build something fantastic. I understand they're restricted highly with planning but so are Alton and they think outside the box.

I really hope they get this holiday village as it will add some much needed revenue to hopefully build something to put them back on the map. Also I have not seen Skeleton Cove which does look like a saving investment for now and they've done well with what they had.

I will say I've not had a massively dissapointing day there ever and I have fond memories as a child as Soopa Looper was my first invert and Toad In The Hole was brilliant.

I really hope they get a lot of custom to keep the place going for aslong as possible and I will continue to go there and no doubt enjoy it. :)
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
thefatone

I just love the place due to the sound nature of the staff, and it's tranquility.. the management team are seriously amazing people to speak to, and their social media is the best from any of the parks I follow.

It's got a few decent rides to make it worthwhile going to, and it's a nice calm relaxed day out where you can easily have fun (I've been moored on the Swan Boats, and had randoms trying to chase me in them before for instance).

Mmmm lightwater. It's clear to show how simple, friendly, human customer service goes a long way for me.
Nathan

The management/staff moreso than anything.

They've quite literally rolled out the red carpet for us in the past; from free entry, meal vouchers, ERT, track walks to inviting us upstairs for a chat long after park closing. Their willingness to go beyond the levels of normal customer service and their support of Valley Mania is something that I can't say enough thanks for.

Sure, they have issues that need to be addressed, but as long they continue to strive towards improving the park, then it's only fair we support them all the way.
Nathan

To celebrate The Ultimate's 20th anniversary, Valley Mania have released a full set of 60 photos of when the ride first opened back in 1991!

[url=http://www.valleymania.co.uk/forum/view ... f=1&t=1319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.valleymania.co.uk/forum/view ... f=1&t=1319[/url]

Enjoy! :)
Tom G

I think the place gets enough praise here without having a separate topic for further rear smooching.

It is one of my favourite places as well, but a lot of things people praise it for are only existent because of the attendances it currently attracts. If the flat rides attracted queues comparable to Thorpe Park then the rides would be operated in the same way.
Bear

They have probably the brightest future of any park in the UK right now, they are just starting to properly come up from really hard times and need our support!

Aswell as this, they have a brilliant family atmosphere at the park that is relaxed and welcoming, more than any other park in my opinion.

Their ride lineup is quite solid for the time being until they can afford to add more major rides, which I expect to happen in the next couple of years. Definitely not the best, anyone can see that, but a good starting point.

They now have themselves a good base on which they can build a secure future, and they absolutely deserve it! They care more about their fans than any other park in the UK, and no-one can deny that; best of luck to them! :)
QTXAdsy

They really are one of the UK's up and coming parks. And the way it's going for them makes me think they're going to have bright future ahead of them. :)

When I first saw it, it just looked like 'another' park, but when I went to it, I was taken aback by it all, I do hope they go on to do great things for the UK's theme park industry in years to come.

Now all they need to do is to set up a coach party from Scotland to LWV and promote highly up here, which at the moment they are unknown up here, only Alton and PBB are what Scottish folk go towards in their droves as we all know what it's like up here.

Forward for LWV! :D
Spendleb

Hi all, has anyone been to this and can advise on what sort of minimum age kids need to be? I don't want to scare the living daylights out of them or is it tamer and more family orientated scares?
DiogoJ42

I've never been (despite good reviews) for one simple reason: They close The Ultimate when it gets dark. :roll:

What's the point in staying open late if you can't ride in the dark?
Tom G

^ An agreement with Farmer Giles next door, I believe.

In response to the question: I haven't been but from what I understand anything that could be considered unsuitable for youngsters would feature signs warning of such. I'd say you'd be able to take a child of any age and have a good time without doing things like any horror mazes or the planned Raptor Attack Live.
Gloomy Dude

Haha. The wider public don't seem to agree. Lightwater Valley is currently rated number 6 out of 7 tourist attractions in the sprawling metropolis of Ripon, on TripAdvisor. Man, Ripon must be one happening joint.
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
Nathan

Lack of visibility on the CCTV.

Should the train stall in juniper woods for whatever reason, not only would it be difficult to locate, but they would be unable to carry out a safe evacuation. It's pitch black.

As Tom mentioned though, there's also an agreement with the adjacent farm that the ride will not run after 7pm.

Splendleb, Frightwater Valley is very much a family event. Dracula's Labyrinth, however, is recommended for those over the age of 14.
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""Nathan""]
Lack of visibility on the CCTV.

Should the train stall in juniper woods for whatever reason, not only would it be difficult to locate, but they would be unable to carry out a safe evacuation. It's pitch black.

As Tom mentioned though, there's also an agreement with the adjacent farm that the ride will not run after 7pm.

Splendleb, Frightwater Valley is very much a family event. Dracula's Labyrinth, however, is recommended for those over the age of 14.[/quote]

This was the reason Rapids & Flume closed on Scarefest but they managed to light up the areas on the rapids so they could see the CCTV. Easily done for The Ultimate. As for Evac? just get a couple of landrovers add high beams and bingo you have light. :lol:

It is the reason I don't attend Frightwater as well, The Ultimate closing. I think it would be incredible to ride in the pitch black. :twisted:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Pennywise

At that time of year it's pitch black by 5ish... so if they could get it open until 7pm that would be 2 hours of opportunity for riding it in the dark.

:)
Nathan

As I explained though, there's very poor visibility on the CCTV. It just isn't feasible for them to light up 1.5 miles of track across 44 acres of land.

However, if you catch a ride on last few trains you can ride it in the twilight, which is still quite dark once you plunge into the woods.

EDIT: Here's a screen grab of 'The Haunting of Skeleton Cove' video which I was given a look of last night. It's quite good, with a really strong narrative. :)

Cheese

Ignore the practicalities of operating the Ultimate at night, initially being able to ride the Ultimate under the cover of darkness seems like a fantastic idea. However, I seriously question whether it'd be as enjoyable as it sounds.

You get thrown about enough when you can see what's coming! Can you imagine thundering through that valley at 50-60 mph when the coaster's had the whole day to warm up, cold Autumnal air is attacking your ears and face, and you can't brace for the track ahead because you can't see it? It sounds like a recipe for serious pain and perhaps a certain amount of misery to me.
Pennywise

[quote=""Cheese""]
You get thrown about enough when you can see what's coming! Can you imagine thundering through that valley at 50-60 mph when the coaster's had the whole day to warm up, cold Autumnal air is attacking your ears and face, and you can't brace for the track ahead because you can't see it? It sounds like a recipe for serious pain and perhaps a certain amount of misery to me.[/quote]

Man up. ;)
Bear

Could they not fit lights to the trains, and have floodlights in the 2 or 3 most likely stalling points?
Symaxius

Hello there!

Just to let you all know, the official microsite for frightwater is now up and running!

http://www.frightwater.co.uk

We really hope you can make it as this years event is going to be bigger than any other with loads going on!

Kind Regards,

Simon