Lightwater Valley

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lucozade

NemesisRider wrote:It's a conspiracy!

In all seriousness, I think they do over exaggerate, when The Smiler hits a bird nobody mentions it too much...
Unless its you that the bird face plants hahaha.

When I was on Rita it started to hail and it HURT like needles
Ryan.B

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but theme park media planning archives for 2016 have the holiday village near the bottom of the page, anyone else seen this?

http://themeparkmedia.co.uk/2016%20Plan ... chive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stealthsmiler

I would deffo say its worth a visit. I went in September with my little cousin and sister. The Ultimate I thought was no where near as good as I remembered. Raptor Attack is a good ride, got a very classic feel about it. Eagles Claw, Whirlwind and The Black Pearl are all good rides. It is a pleasant day out and one of those theme parks that you can take your time going around at a leisurely pace, unlike Thorpe and Towers where its rush from one ride to the next to try and fit them all in. However when I went there was some surprisingly large queues. 60 mins for The Ultimate (running one train - which is like 6 minutes a lap), 60 mins for Raptor Attack, 30 mins for The rapids, 40 mins for Twister and 20 mins for the Caterpillar and Ladybird coasters. The rest of the rides were okay with Eagles Claw and Whirlwind both walk on and therefore rode about 10 times each.
ReZourceman

Yo.

Does anyone know if Lightwater Valley have digital downloads of photos?

Also, we're going on Thursday 4th June and are considering the VIP pass - will it actually be worth it? Will an early-June school day be busy?
SJW

News of an 'joke' where a car on the Treetop Twister appears to have been dispatched while a staff member was in it doing daily checks:

http://riderater.co.uk/2015/lightwater- ... nspection/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xylyx

Wow, there was one bored looking staff member and some folks at one of the eateries that my other half took a dislike to, but otherwise the staff were great on Sunday when we went. Loved riding theUltimate again though I only just squeezed intothe seat, and the restraint nearly destroyed my ribs, it was a great ricketty insanely conceived ride.
Lots for little ones to do too, my daughter who is nearly 2 had a whale of a time.
A warning for larger folks though is that they don't really have big enough seats. I know KMG are notorious as it is but I so wanted to do Eagles Claw and That was my one walk of shame. Raptor attack I didn't even attempt as the website warned against folks of girth (I have a chest measurement of 51") but had a fantastic day nonetheless, and it was packed with people. :)
stealthsmiler

Lightwater Valley is getting a new attraction this year. Although nothing huge it's nice to see new additions into the park. It's got such a nice setting I wish they would add some new rides there!

Here's the link

http://m.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news ... -1-7713706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darrenhosker

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already, but they have three new attractions for this year.

- Treetop Nets (Which was mentioned above) - Set high in the trees with giant trampolines, walkways, slides and tunnels made out of netting, suspended 9 metres off the ground. I believe this may be outside the park itself.

- Funkey Monkey Soft Play Area & Cafe in the old theatre building.

- Apollo, to replace the Whirlwind which was sold after 5 years at the park - This is a 25m (80ft) tall Star Flyer spinning swing tower ride from Funtime.

jackcullen

^ it's not a Funtime Starflyer, it's built by Fun light in the Czech Republic and isnt owned by the park it's a travelling ride hired in.
Dom

A man has apparently fallen from the restraint on the Black Pearl ride. More details can be found Here
OhShambhala

I can't find this on any other news sites so I'm qestioning the reliability of this.

EDIT: I've just found it on another site, my bad!
Last edited by Dom on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged Double Post
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
PhNx Survivor

Incident has occured at Lightwater Valley.. child fallen from Twister coaster.. not good news.. hope he is okay and makes a full recovery.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... -news/amp/
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Liam.W

Not good, hope they make a full and speedy recovery.

I am slightly worried as to how this will affect the park. If they have to pay out compensation + downfall in visitor numbers they will lose out on a lot of money which I guess they don’t have much of in the first place! Not good!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Justin

While it shouldn't have happened, I'm so pleased that only minor injuries were incurred.
abigsmurf

This ride has already had a fatality on it. Could be forced to close after this. Seems the injuries aren't critical though.

Minimum height is listed as 1.2m (with an adult) which is slightly above the height of an average 6 year old so I imagine there'll be a lot of investigation on if he was checked or not 
Ryan.B

From what I'm aware, the seat belts are optional as well, but that's only for adults. If the seat belt wasn't used and he was sat next to a parent, the bar would've most likely been nowhere near the child since there's one bar for two riders, or it might even be for the whole car. Lightwaters record is appalling, considering that a massive amount of incidents haven't actually come to light until recently. Hope the boy is relatively OK, and changes are made.
Justin

Unfortunately, it appears the boy is now in a critical condition :(
abigsmurf

That's terrible, was hoping it wouldn't be any worse than needing to wear a sling or cast for a month or two. Critical but stable means there isn't an immediate threat to his life but it'll mean his life was at risk and/or life changing injuries. Here's hoping for a full recovery.

Hoping the Health and Safety exec gets to the bottom of it soon. The park (and the kid who likely operated the ride) will be hoping it's a case of the kid deliberately wriggling out of the restraints. If it's a case of the restraints being inadequate, or worse, the kid's height not being checked, they'll come down on the park like a ton of bricks.

The manufacturer is no longer in business so any adverse findings will be 100% on the park.
Mew

I’ve been to Lightwater last Sunday with some friends and we had been told not to wear our seatbelts. I’m hoping that this wasn’t the case with the poor boy as I’m sure it could’ve been easily prevented then.
wamdue

Ok so I've not been to this park, but Iv'e done some research so this isnt just a hatchet job, but I sure found an interesting You Tube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXMgUT4hMJM

Ok that Dark Raptor ride looks like fun, despite the stupid mine entrance.

The Ultimate, you know it looks unusal, but the concept of something that is part Coaster, part trip around an area, is interesting. It's something I could see Centre Parcs doing, the idea of a drop in a real wooded area is good, it does however concern me that it has to be towed back to the station a fair amount. 

Finally The Twister, well it looks like a ride that should be on its last legs, and im surprised at how little the car spun (at least on the video I watched), for a park that has all that space (something that works well for The Ultimate) it's surprising to see a ride so boxed in.

Question in the video, does the park have a future? Well the rides doesn't, but this idea of "optional" seat belts seems confused, but this is a park with a nice idea for a ride like the Ultimate (interesting history), but it needs tow rope, it all seems, well the best word would be amuterish. We will learn the full facts of what happened in due time, but I hope this is not a young life destoryed, with some interesting ideas of what it will and wont accept from its rides.

The park being open is a bad PR move IMO, Merlin have deep pockets, so could keep AT closed (and The Smiler killed that season), but this park likely does not have those pockets.
Last edited by DeadJack5 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Punctuation