Lightwater Valley

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dara

[quote=""ShootTheCore""][quote=""Dara""][quote=""ShootTheCore""][quote=""Mackem Lad""]Anyway, with a certain someone behind them now it could prove very decisive in the park's favour. :wink: [/quote]

My main concern is for the Ultimate. American Adventure, sad loss, but apart from Nightmare Niagara the enthusiast community didn't really lose anything ride-wise.
.[/quote]

Ooooh, scandelous!! The missile was, at the time it opened voted the best coaster in the country by enthusiasts and there are very few Vekoma Boomerangs around now so it could be seen as a pretty big loss.
But yeah i know what you mean. Nightmare Niagara was the one that continued to draw the enthusiasts, and i agree that The Ultimate, even though i've never ridden it, does look like the sort of coaster that is more likely to be scrapped than sold to another park.

Best start planning my first ever Lightwater Valley trip then, if its closure is on the cards[/quote]

Missile is still with us actually ;)

http://www.rcdb.com/id3498.htm[/quote]

Yeah good point, i see what you mean. Nightmare Niagara was scrapped, and now probably has a new life form as a tin of beans :lol: and the same fate could fall upon the Ultimate. Still cant believe Niagara was just chucked in the skip though... what an outrage!!! :x
Nathan

Right guys, I've been given the go ahead to announce details of Lightwater Valley's new ride for 2009 - Wild River Rapids!

Taking place of The Grizzly Bear, Wild River Rapids is a wet 'n' wild family thrill ride.

As far as I know, this is a temporary ride for the 2009 season only. Obviously this is subject to change. Wild River Rapids will be rented from James Mellor who usually takes the ride to popular travelling fairs such as Nottingham Goose Fair.

If the park give it a little bit of a permanent look then this ride looks set to be a nice attraction for ourselves to enjoy for 2009.
Khanage

I have never been to LWV but I think that'll make a nice addition to the park. I didn't realise you could get portable rapids rides!
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

AstroDan

There is one of these at West Midlands Safari Park who have done a good job to make it look semi-permanent. They need to look there for ideas.

:)
Khanage

I must say they have done a rather nice job on the one at WMSP. Take a look here:

[url=http://porsmond.bravepages.com/Safari/Safari.html" target="_blank]http://porsmond.bravepages.com/Safari/Safari.html[/url]
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

LukeJ

A shame that WMSP have to get rid of it soon.
AstroDan

I thought WMSP were able to re-locate it?

:?
LukeJ

Well the last that I heard was that they have to remove it. Where does it say they are moving it?
AstroDan

Just what a ride operator guy told me when we were there. We just commented how cool it looked for a travelling fair ride. It's actually a great laugh, and can be rather damp if you are on the unlucky side.

I hope it stays.
Stu

Yeah coz we saw some like hidden stuff in containers looked like lift hill parts or something and we asked whats that.. and he said something like that is going where the rapids is and there going to try and move the rapids further up or something didn't they.

But the themeing into that rapids at WMSP is just quite good for a park like that. They really made an effort. Just the light up sign looks "fun fair" ish, they could easily make a cool cheap custom sign for it and call it something else other than the standard fun fair name. But is is ace, kept me on my toes and you do get wet if your unlucky, but at least 1 person gets really wet every time haha.

Though was a bit of a bugger than a park map blocked our hole and the water was like 2inchs deep in our boat haha!
Johno

If it's themed like that then it could look quite good.

My worry would be that it wasn't themed, and just looked like a really rubbishy attraction.
DiogoJ42

[quote=""Johno""]If it's themed like that then it could look quite good.

My worry would be that it wasn't themed, and just looked like a really rubbishy attraction.[/quote]

well it's Lightwater, so that's probably what'll happen :roll:
Joe Koopa

It looks quite good but I doubt they'll theme it as it would only be there for one year. The park have been missing a water-ride since the Log-Flume closed. Maybe the 2010 ride would be like Hydro at Oakwood. :D
I'm also quite pleased to see Grizzly Bear leaving the ride's really rough! :x

Merry Xmas. :santa:
Nathan

Grizzly Bear removal has begun.

You can check progress daily at Valley Mania's new mini-site; [url=http://www.rapids.valleymania.co.uk" target="_blank]http://www.rapids.valleymania.co.uk[/url]

Buyers arrive on park.

Removal process begins.

Cars awaiting removal from site.

Station has been removed.

First turnaround removed.

Slowly coming down.

Drop section removed.

Removal men at work.

Track being removed.

Photos are kindly being submitted by Angela Marshall and Ashley Young of Lightwater Valley.

Expect further updates and photos tomorrow!
Last edited by Nathan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Koopa

Great pictures! 8) :D
Mr_Nemesis

:| i'l miss the little bears

o well bring on the rapids :)
Nathan

4th March - Update.

Supports ready for the exit door.

More track being removed.

The left hand side has completely gone.

---- Post Info Added ----

The ride was completely removed by lunchtime today (Thursday).

Update from Wednesday afternoon;

Helix being removed.

Updates from today;

Final day of removal work begins.

Almost complete.

All that is left of the ride.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the last you'll see of Grizzly Bear at Lightwater Valley! The wooden bears that surrounded the ride have been jetwashed and will placed elsewhere in the park as theming.

Valley Mania will be covering the construction of the new ride, Wild River Rapids, and I will continue to post updates on this website for people who are interested. :)

---- Post Info Added ----

Mellors arrived on site today and began work on Wild River Rapids. At the minute they are putting in the base frame for the ride and just starting to put the panels on.

Groundwork begins.

Delivery lorry.

Panels being lowered into place.

The crane.

Looking over towards the site.

Parts of the ride on the trailer.

The ride structure should be pretty much nearly complete tomorrow. The following days will see ride testing and any other ancillary works.

Thanks to Angela Marshall of Lightwater Valley for the photos.
Joe Koopa

Looking quite good. Should make an alright tempomary attraction. :)
Anonymous

For all those who havent seen the ride completed:-

Taken at Coventry 2004

Nathan

I have been informed that the ride will initially stay at the park for the 2009 season only. Depending on ride performance, such as reliability and guest satisfaction, it could be extended to a further season or even two.

The construction is happening at rapid pace (excuse the pun), with the ride expected to pretty much done by tomorrow afternoon.

More framework and station conveyor belt.

Preparing to position the lift hill.

Cleaning the water-tight canvas.

Lift hill complete.

Part of the trough put in place.