Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
CorkyForever

Someone on Facebook suggested that Blade was being moved to X-sector to fill Submission's old plot area but I assume that this is just a rumour with no concrete evidence as that doesn't make sense with the timing or the age of the ride. Would be nice though!
Most Recent Visit
Luce

I agree with others about the seemingly decreasing number of thrilling flat rides at the park, I'd like to think AT would be considering replacements but I guess we'll have to wait and see what they do.

I do like the variety of different rides and attractions at the park but I do think more flat rides for older guests would be a good addition.
Themeparksandy1981

You may as well rename Alton Towers to coaster towers as the number of coasters will out number the other adult/family rides. Just look at the Dark Forest when I first visited Alton Towers 22 years ago festival park had 1 coaster and 4 flat rides and now just 2 coasters. With areas with coasters only 3 rides are left to try to help reduce queue lines but Merlin know Flats don't get guests in the gate unless it's a IP and guests have 2 options now queue up or buy a fast track ticket.
Hari

CorkyForever wrote:Someone on Facebook suggested that Blade was being moved to X-sector to fill Submission's old plot area but I assume that this is just a rumour with no concrete evidence as that doesn't make sense with the timing or the age of the ride. Would be nice though!
I think The Blade's plot is wayyyy to big to go where Submission was. I honestly think the park are going to struggle getting a flat where Submission was. The Blade, not so much because if they remove Ripsaw (Which I have mixed thoughts on because it leaves the park with Enterprise as the only thrilling flat) they have plenty of room to make SW8. That depends if it even goes there lol.
TheBeast

Poignantly, if the Blade is going to be moved, it will be to nowhere but a scrapheap. I cant really see it fitting in with the areas theme in X-Sector, no matter how hard they try. Its not scary enough if that makes sense... Blivvy and the Smiler are both heavy duty rides and it kinda undermines them in my eyes
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
CorkyForever

Hari wrote:
CorkyForever wrote:Someone on Facebook suggested that Blade was being moved to X-sector to fill Submission's old plot area but I assume that this is just a rumour with no concrete evidence as that doesn't make sense with the timing or the age of the ride. Would be nice though!
I think The Blade's plot is wayyyy to big to go where Submission was. I honestly think the park are going to struggle getting a flat where Submission was. The Blade, not so much because if they remove Ripsaw (Which I have mixed thoughts on because it leaves the park with Enterprise as the only thrilling flat) they have plenty of room to make SW8. That depends if it even goes there lol.
Well they might have not meant that exact plot size but I hear what you're saying.

It was literally just what one fan suggested as being true but it is pretty unlikely.

I'd like to see if something like an Afterburner or Frisbee replace it (in whatever location) as a more modern, thrilling take on a swing style ride. This is probably almost as unlikely as the above fan suggestion though! They might also be too tall.
Most Recent Visit
Nathan_Fisher

As i'm sure everyone now knows blade isn't featured on the park map, i tweeted Alton Towers yesterday and received a reply today the conversation goes as follows:

Tweet 1: "the blade no longer features on our park map as the ride is scheduled to be leaving us in the very near future".

Tweet 2: "There are some exciting plans in the pipeline for Forbidden Valley however!"

After Alton have cleared up that the ride will be removed soon, does this mean they will actually be replacing the blade with a new ride? They said 'some exciting plans' so hopefully they will be adding more of a modern selection of flat rides to the area. I guess with them not replacing Submission, people speculate that Alton will remove the blade without replacing it. But hopefully what they have said on twitter is true.
Alex

Just seen this today, seems pretty interesting....
CVC, Blackstone launch up to $1bn share sale in UK's Merlin
LONDON, March 2 Mon Mar 2, 2015 11:21pm IST

(Reuters) - Private equity firms CVC and Blackstone have launched the sale of all of their remaining shares in UK company Merlin Entertainments .

Deutsche Bank, which is running the sale, said on Monday that it was selling 156,541,347 shares in the theme park resort company via an accelerated bookbuild.

A source familiar with the matter said the shares were being sold at a range of 417-426.50 pence a share. At the upper end of the price range the placement would be valued at 667.6 million pounds. ($1.03 billion) ($1 = 0.6512 British Pounds) (Reporting by Freya Berry; editing by Pamela Barbaglia)
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/03/0 ... QG20150302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jmurphy55

I can't say I'm shocked to see the Blade being removed, it's been in the park since 1980 now so it's probably had its day.
Alton needs a nice new, modern, flat ride, hopefully this will come in the form of the Blade's replacement.
Themeparksandy1981

Like I can understand that rides need replacing but if it was open during half term it must have caused a big problem for them not to open it for the main season as if they had plans to remove it they wouldn't have rebuild it after the closed season like Submission. If it was for SW8 then why wasn't Ripsaw removed as well as rumours pointed that was getting moved to X sector.
Zach

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Like I can understand that rides need replacing but if it was open during half term it must have caused a big problem for them not to open it for the main season as if they had plans to remove it they wouldn't have rebuild it after the closed season like Submission. If it was for SW8 then why wasn't Ripsaw removed as well as rumours pointed that was getting moved to X sector.
The rumours of ripsaw were just rumours and a load of rubbish ir was never in the pipeline, simply because ripsaw is comfortable(ish) where it is and really wouldn't survive the move, also blade wasn't completely taken apart this closed so I think they knew it was going I expect plans for SW8 have moved on a little quicker than the resort expected & I wouldn't be surprised to see it gone next Thursday :P
Adam.W

Perhaps they have SW8 in that spot? It would make some sense as rumours say that it will be a cross valley coaster
Altonboy001

TheSmilerMan wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Like I can understand that rides need replacing but if it was open during half term it must have caused a big problem for them not to open it for the main season as if they had plans to remove it they wouldn't have rebuild it after the closed season like Submission. If it was for SW8 then why wasn't Ripsaw removed as well as rumours pointed that was getting moved to X sector.
The rumours of ripsaw were just rumours and a load of rubbish ir was never in the pipeline, simply because ripsaw is comfortable(ish) where it is and really wouldn't survive the move, also blade wasn't completely taken apart this closed so I think they knew it was going I expect plans for SW8 have moved on a little quicker than the resort expected & I wouldn't be surprised to see it gone next Thursday :P
still swinging today for john lewis
RIDECRAZY

After browsing Twitter it can be seen that it is indeed not operating this season and will be removed soon, they have also pretty much confirmed the location for a new attraction (most likely SW8) here are the screenshots...

I'll also post these screenshots in the SW8 topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CorkyForever

RIDECRAZY wrote:After browsing Twitter it can be seen that it is indeed not operating this season and will be removed soon, they have also pretty much confirmed the location for a new attraction (most likely SW8) here are the screenshots...

I'll also post these screenshots in the SW8 topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^They (or similar as they've tweeted a few times) have already been posted in a couple of similar AT topics.
Most Recent Visit
RIDECRAZY

Apologies, seen a previous post regarding such tweets now I'm on my laptop, guessing that it was Tapatalk playing up on my phone, its awful nowadays, I'll leave it up to TT Team to decide what to do with the post as I can't seem to delete it? Don't know if it wants deleting as its screenshots as a pose to quotes? :)
CorkyForever

RIDECRAZY wrote:Apologies, seen a previous post regarding such tweets now I'm on my laptop, guessing that it was Tapatalk playing up on my phone, its awful nowadays, I'll leave it up to TT Team to decide what to do with the post as I can't seem to delete it? Don't know if it wants deleting as its screenshots as a pose to quotes? :)
No worries, I don't think it matters. I just thought it might save you some time.
Most Recent Visit
Alex

Alton Towers have now confirmed that Blade will be open until further notice.
Dan

You beat me to it Alex.

Max

Could see it running for another season then, most likely being removed after this year for future developments. Hey, it's one more flat in the park... AT are lacking flats as it is so nice to see the blade staying:D
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888