Nemesis - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dom

Nemesis was my first ever looped coaster and my first coaster at AT. I was that scared that I wasn't talking to my mates in the queue line, and I rode her with my eyes shut. To this day, I have not looked back and regretted riding it. If you do get nervous, just say to yourself, screw it.
Last edited by Dom on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Nemesis
Ride the twists and turns of Nemesis, as it races past the rocks and rivers of Forbidden Valley. Inverted on the track, it corkscrews, spins and races over the twisted steel track, making it one of the most heart-pounding, exciting and exhilarating rides you will ever experience!

With the closed season upon us, how would you review Nemesis at the Alton Towers Resort?

[youtube]hsjfbpLz7gc[/youtube]
TheBeornen

I got to ride Nemesis for the first time this year, I've been afraid of rollercoasters until this summer when my school took me and my friends down and I haven't looked back since. Nemesis is a highlight of the few large rides I've been on, it's got the intensity of The Smiler but with the smoothness of Air/Galactica and feels like the best all round ride at the park.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Robert.W

Just. Amazing.

It's been my favourite rollercoaster ever since I first rode it back in 2015. This year has been no different - still as intense as ever! It's actually the only ride in the entire park that I'd wait in line multiple hours to ride, as even the queue above the ride gives some amazing views of the roller coaster. It really does feel like the best all round ride at the park, obviously there is the coaster itself, which I can say enough about, but also the theming. The way the station has been so cleverly ingergrated into the ride really makes the whole story of the ride seem all the more convincing, along with other elements like the crashed bus and the steep jagged cliff faces and tunnels, really make this a one of a kind ride experience. 

My only complaint - I want the red rivers back!!

ROYJESS

The red rivers will never come back due to the environment issues, due to the dye leaking into the local water sources
Robert.W

ROYJESS wrote:The red rivers will never come back due to the environment issues, due to the dye leaking into the local water sources
Yeah, I understand that's why they stopped doing them... if only there was a way to bring them back!!

Justin

Before the Smiler, Nemesis was one of the last coasters for me to conquer as it looked very forceful and intimidating from the ground. In reality, it is an outstanding coaster which still remains a firm favourite with many guests today, especially when considering the smoothness of it.  I enjoy it when you sit in the right place and experience some of the many near misses the landscape has to offer. At night it is amazing, although The Smiler remains my baby, with Nemesis firmly sitting at No.2!
Luce

Personally, I still think Nemesis is my favourite coaster at Alton Towers at the moment as it's unique setting gives it an amazing ride experience, especially in the dark and also in the back row.  The helix into the zero g is my favourite part of the ride and those near misses are great too.  As much as I love The Smiler, it doesn't quite match the awesomeness of Nemesis for me :)
Dan

Nemesis was my #1 coaster for years and it was only knocked off the top spot when The Smiler opened. The landscaping of the ride is something that makes it unique, when the day comes for it to be removed Towers will really struggle to replace it with something that utilises the terrain as well as Nemesis does.

I still find it the most intense coaster I’ve ever ridden and considering its age it is still pretty smooth. There’s nothing quite like a back row, outside right seat ride on Nemesis in the dark, an unforgettable experience!
Robert.W

Dan wrote:The landscaping of the ride is something that makes it unique, when the day comes for it to be removed Towers will really struggle to replace it with something that utilises the terrain as well as Nemesis does.
Considering that some parks have coasters that are decades old, and probably not as good coasters as Nemesis is, I wouldn't be surprised if Nemesis has another 50 years as least.

Dan

Robert.W wrote: Considering that some parks have coasters that are decades old, and probably not as good coasters as Nemesis is, I wouldn't be surprised if Nemesis has another 50 years as least.
I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Nemesis will still be around in 50 years time but I do agree the old girl has plenty of life left in her yet :)
theparklifekid

I think the park may decide to do what Universal did with Hulk when it shows its age, retrack it, new trains, new music and brand it as the 'New' Nemesis
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Wagstaff04

Nemesis is hands down the best ride at AT. I wasn’t thinking that before I rode it, but the smoothness, intensity and execution makes this my favourite coaster I’ve ridden so far. 
NemeJaney

Regarding the new proposed ride opening times, it'll be interesting to see how the new shortened running hours will affect the ride. Any ideas?  :-k

-Maybe more time spent on maintenance will help to keep things running smoothly (not that it's that unreliable as it is)
-Maybe it will get less 'worn out' 
-Perhaps, as crowds are limited to fewer hours on it, the increased queues will mean there's more 2-train operation.

This is all obviously only applicable if the opening times stay as they are and aren't reviewed later on.
PhNx Survivor

Honestly.. with what people have been saying so far, I don't see them implementing this at all.. I cannot see them keeping Nemesis, (either the best or top 2 coasters in the park), closed until 12, for then 4:30/5:30 hours of run time..

The feedback wont be received well, as it currently is getting slaughtered by commenters on Facebook.. some of the things said are rather funny saying that though.

However if this is what happens, I would expect the ride to be more maintained, longer queues, 2 train operation, and the area to be more maintained.. miss the blood rivers!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
hursty

Nemesis has definitely had it's quiet days this season, although there is a lot to be said for it's reliability and efficiency in terms of riders per hour.
It's unfortunate that on most of my trips the queue didn't make it past the fastrack gate.

I'm sure the late opening is purely down to predicted low gate figures, or perhaps the fear that what gate figure there is, is consumed by SW8 early on in the day.

With the limited ERT and lack of Skyride, they are perhaps responding to the time it would takes guests to reach FV.

With Air's "overhaul", RCR and Coffee Lounge, FV is an area of the park that has seen recent investment, particularly given the impressive repainting of Nemisis over the last couple of years.

With Nemmy being the iconic ride at Alton Towers it seems such a shame to see it only doing partial days, although it may ensure it's not running empty during operation.
PhNx Survivor

Sooo.. Nemesis is recieving TLC.. thoughts?

EDIT: Didn't even realise this was happening.. might be a bit late :lol
Dan

PhNx Survivor wrote:Sooo.. Nemesis is recieving TLC.. thoughts?

EDIT: Didn't even realise this was happening.. might be a bit late :lol
The Nemesis station refurbishment is already being discussed in the Towers Loving Care topic :)
PhNx Survivor

Thanks!
JenRawrRizzle

It is a bit of a shame that in 24 years, Towers has yet to come up with a better ride than Nemesis. It is still head and shoulders above all other rides in the park in terms of its design, theming, and overall ride experience. If it was opening new this year people would be foaming at the mouth at how good it looks.