Nemesis - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
pandapanda134

I have such a massive fear of Nemesis, but at the same time it is my goal to ride it on Wednesday as the queues will be short so I can hopefully just jump on and not get too anxious in a long queue. I feel like such a massive wimp, but I do go on some rollercoasters.
I have been on Air, which is my favourite in Forbidden Valley. Also, sonic, thirteen and rita. I love thirteen, I've only been on Rita once but I would ride again when I have the courage to. The only reason I went on Rita was because the queue was really short, so I just pushed myself onto it.
The reason I am so scared of Nemesis is because I hate the rollercoaster stomach feeling, as nemesis looks like it will kill me with that feeling with all of those inversions and how fast it goes. Also, I have never been on an upside down ride, so the loop scares me too.
Any advice? I really want to go on it, but however close I get to going on it, I always chicken out. Should I ride everything else first (sonic, RMT, air etc) or just one ride on Air then walk onto Nemesis?
Inferno Attractions

It's just like me and Rita

I used to be really scared of Nemesis too but as soon as my mum dragged me on it, I loved it and it's been my favourite ride ever since.
The first couple of times you go on it, it does make you shaky when coming off so good idea to go on it just before lunch so you can have a rest after.
Try and get a row in the middle because the front and back are more intense.
I still get nervous before going on it now and it's been my favourite since 2010. :roll:

Good Luck and hope you get to face your fears soon
Last edited by Inferno Attractions on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
pandapanda134

Inferno Attractions wrote: It's just like me and Rita

I used to be really scared of Nemesis too but as soon as my mum dragged me on it, I loved it and it's been my favourite ride ever since.
The first couple of times you go on it, it does make you shaky when coming off so good idea to go on it just before lunch so you can have a rest after.
Try and get a row in the middle because the front and back are more intense.

Good Luck and hope you get to face your fears soon
I'll make sure to get my adrenaline going with air and maybe sonic, then as soon as I see Nemmy with a short queue, I will race onto it. Here's hoping it'll work out
Inferno Attractions

pandapanda134 wrote: I'll make sure to get my adrenaline going with air and maybe sonic, then as soon as I see Nemmy with a short queue, I will race onto it. Here's hoping it'll work out
Good idea and well done for wanting to go on the best ride EVER
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
pillsburyb

There's no glossing over this.

Nemesis is worse than it looks, it will throw you about, disorientate you, empty your stomach contents, render your legs useless.

I'm 31 and nemesis is the only ride that makes me feel sick after I have been on, but I ride it every time I go.
pandapanda134

pillsburyb wrote: There's no glossing over this.

Nemesis is worse than it looks, it will throw you about, disorientate you, empty your stomach contents, render your legs useless.

I'm 31 and nemesis is the only ride that makes me feel sick after I have been on, but I ride it every time I go.
I can only imagine what it is really like, I suppose I'll just have to ride to find out and see if I decide to like and and ride again every week
newrider

The "launch" of Rita is more intense than any single part of Nemesis. It's just the quantity of it that makes Nemesis seem intense.
pandapanda134

newrider wrote: The "launch" of Rita is more intense than any single part of Nemesis. It's just the quantity of it that makes Nemesis seem intense.
Oo ok interesting :-)
Georgie

I was really nervous about going on Nemesis.  I hated riding Inferno (although to be fair I probably shouldn't have left my glasses on, as I was holding on to them throughout the ride) and Stealth was 2 intense 4 me, but I loved every second of Nemesis.  I had it as my 2nd ride of the day after the RMT, but it would probably be best to try some other rides first so you can settle yourself in.  I was certainly 'in' to big rides after the Swarm, but it was Nemesis that made me feel I could do anything.  I say try it.  If you don't like it, that's fine, at least you tried.  But if you find it enjoyable, then be ready for an amazing rush of adrenaline, excitement and accomplishment.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Lee

I can understand your fear, as she's designed to look intimidating. The signature B&M roar only aids to increase that anxiety.

I can quite honestly say that the stomach sensation you describe, commonly known as air time, isn't something Nemesis is intense with. As a roller coaster, she's intense with her banks in terms of G forces, but it's a sensation you feel in your face more than anything. You will experience a sensation of adrenaline, pressure on your face and most definitely zero gravity. But there is no intense air time sensation and the famous 'loop' you describe simply gives a weightless feeling.

Go on her on Wednesday, you'll never look back. And when you do, make sure you come to our Nemesis event in March :)
pandapanda134

Thanks everyone

I will do my best to get on Nemesis on Wednesday and if I do ride, I will let you know how it goes
Jamie

Nemesis is a fun coaster, and there's no questioning that it's intense but it's not what I would call scary.  It's not a rough coaster, in fact it's very smooth so there's no need to worry about head banging.  Go for it, I think you'll enjoy it :)
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
lf2001

There's nothing to be really scared of, because Nemesis is a great ride! Probably do Air first, then Nemesis. Don't wait throughout the day to go on it because you'll get more scared (well I was anyway, waited till the end of the day). Just go on it, don't think about it, or whatever makes you scared of it. But don't force yourself on if you really really don't want to!
Mark.aa

I was scared of it to and took 2 separate visits before I manned up and when't on it.
Don't watch it going round,it will put you off,
that's what the que lines was designed to  put fear in you prior to riding it.
use the single rider entrance if riding alone,shorter que to give you less time to change mind.you cannot see much of the ride from there ether.
just walk up there and get on!there won't be much of a que there then hopefully.
If you,ve been to chessington world of adventures think of it as a turbo inverting version of the vampire kids ride on red bull.
I,m 40 and never been on air yet!
Been going to alton towers before air and oblivion was built.
Once you go on it you will want to ride it again.
Front is best for the view.rear feels faster due to rest of train pulling rear out of loops,try them.
It not a high ride it's the perceived near misses with ground and pit walls that make it special.
Last edited by Mark.aa on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tallicay2k

To be fair, brute force would be needed. Someone would just have to drag you on.
No doubt tho you will love it at the end cos let's face it nemesis is kind at heart but just very angry and has been since 1994 :)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
DavidRock

here's hoping you go on it .....

Once you come off you will definitely come off and get straight back in he queue for another go  :D

nemesis was my first major alton towers coaster way back in 1996
NemeJaney

I was quite nervous before I first went on, but the second I got off, I was in love(hence my username and excessive obsession with the ride).

I find that although she isn't as smooth as Air, for example, she's not as rough as rita and the smiler, so keep your eyes open and try to feel the thrills of being suspended to take away some of the focus on the roughness.

In terms of nerves, I would recommend familiarising yourself with the ride experience/circuit, legend behind the theme and the music before you go(look in the TT media part of the site) and when you're there, take a moment to listen to the music and admire the scenery/themeing and tell yourself how awesome she looks. Watch the train do a few circuits and look at individual riders' experiences and imagine yourself in that seat feeling happy. By then you should feel ready.

Force yourself to smile wildly when riding, that should make you feel more bonded to the ride. Once you've ridden, go on another couple of times to smooth out your first impression.

Good luck and have fun! :D
tori_swift

NemesisJaney54 wrote:
In terms of nerves, I would recommend familiarising yourself with the ride experience/circuit, legend behind the theme and the music before you go(look in the TT media part of the site) and when you're there, take a moment to listen to the music and admire the scenery/themeing and tell yourself how awesome she looks. Watch the train do a few circuits and look at individual riders' experiences and imagine yourself in that seat feeling happy. By then you should feel ready.
To familiarise yourself you could also watch a POV video online to get used to it if you feel that could help :)

Although I do agree with what people are saying about just going for it. I took a friend once who had never been on a roller coaster and was very nervous but one go on Oblivion and he became addicted! It's always good to give things a go as long as you want to :)
Garnetto

Nemmy is nothing to worry about! If you're familiar with the layout then it will soon become your favourite ride! Good Luck! :D
Happy 20th Birthday to Nemmy and 1st Birthday to The Smiler!
Credit to Lewis97 for my AWESOME signature!
pandapanda134

tori_swift wrote:
NemesisJaney54 wrote:
To familiarise yourself you could also watch a POV video online to get used to it if you feel that could help :)

Although I do agree with what people are saying about just going for it. I took a friend once who had never been on a roller coaster and was very nervous but one go on Oblivion and he became addicted! It's always good to give things a go as long as you want to :)
I have memorised the circuit and watched the POVs many times, believe me aha, as I do with every ride :-)