Alton Towers Sat Nav: Through free wi-fi

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
CJH

So with the talks of a new map and it needing to show people how to get around the park. I was thinking of a concept of a resort Sat Nav.
This would give guests directions turn for turn helping them get across the park.

Do you think Towers would ever go for something like this?

Maybe create an app that would link attractions say Oblivion to Nemesis for example.
Could also include shops and food outlets and even the hotels/waterpark/golf.

Discuss.
Chris 21 Manchester
Tom.B

Good idea, but it would probably cost quite a bit to develop, then they'll charge people to download it, and then no one will download it and just ask for directions from people. :) After all, it's not the biggest place in the world if you've been a few times. :)
Dan

One way they could go about it is by making it part of the official app.

Instead of handing out the paper maps, they could integrate it into the app, which would be seen as Towers doing a small bit to help the environment.

The only issue that there could be with this is battery life on smartphones. I have an iPhone 4S and when I'm at Towers I have to have my phone on Flight Mode for most of the day just to preserve the battery.
lf2001

I used to have an app which has a map of AT on it. It's not the real one, and you can easily navigate your way around the park with it.
Tom170499

I believe BPB have this already, incorporated into their official app. It works well tbh...
pillsburyb

I don't take my phone with me.

Plus, I think they tried it in the official app once.
kierannewcombe

Good idea but once youve been towers once you don't need to have a map then.

Credit to Lewis97
ThrillJunkie

I really don't think many people understand how much a project like this would cost and all for a gimmicky map that will hardly get used. No Thanks.
I'd rather they spend the money on the up keep and maintenance of the park.

If you want to improve navigation through the park why not improve existing signage and install interactive wayfinding displays (Something like this http://www.wayfinderkiosk.com/) in key locations around the park.
ThrillJunkieUK
pillsburyb

I don't think it would cost a lot considering the park as already been navigated thanks to street view.

But I do think it would be pointless
pillsburyb

Yep, just tried it using google maps.

Park has already been navigated, 1.0 mile from Oblivion to Nemesis. 18 min walk.

Turn by turn instructions.
lf2001

Another idea is that you can use Street View. It'd be almost impossible to get lost, Google just need to update it first.
Benji

pillsburyb wrote: Yep, just tried it using google maps.

Park has already been navigated, 1.0 mile from Oblivion to Nemesis. 18 min walk.

Turn by turn instructions.
Who needs exercise when you can spend the day at towers! On every visit you must walk more than 4 miles easily in 1 day with the perks of having some of the UK's best rides in between. Bonus!!

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Jammydodger

A better way, in my opinion, would be Augment reality.
Take a look at something like Nokia Live sight, it basically shows you what shops/POI's (or in this case, rides) are in which direction and navigates you to them while looking at the real world through the camera.
pillsburyb

Jammydodger wrote: A better way, in my opinion, would be Augment reality.
Take a look at something like Nokia Live sight, it basically shows you what shops/POI's (or in this case, rides) are in which direction and navigates you to them while looking at the real world through the camera.
I'm not sure what my opinion is on that idea, I think augmented reality is great.

But I think if you need augmented reality to tell you where things are at AT then you may be slightly detaching yourself from reality.
haydn!

A app already exists that does this, it's been around a few years too…

http://guides.themeparknerd.com/alton-towers/