JCB golf resort positive or negative for alton towers ?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Zach

JCB has announced a new wave of investment in Staffordshire with plans for a £30 million golf course next to its World HQ to help boost sales and build global awareness of its brand.

The proposals for a spectacular 18-hole, 7,150 yards, Par 72 championship golf course centre on 240 acres of rolling countryside to the south of its Rocester headquarters. When completed in 2018, it is expected that up to 100 people will be employed in groundcare and hospitality roles.

The course will be designed by European Golf Design – the golf course design company of IMG and the European Tour - best known for the 2010 course at Celtic Manor in Wales, host of the 2010 Ryder Cup. It will be built to tour-quality standard and could potentially host a major tour event, attracting competitors and spectators from all over the world.

The plans have been conceived by JCB Chairman Lord Bamford and follow an announcement in early December that JCB will invest £150m to build two new factories in Staffordshire and significantly increase production to meet an anticipated growth in demand for its products.

At the heart of this premier golf development is Woodseat Hall, an 18th Century mansion currently in ruins, but which will have a new lease of life under plans to renovate it as the course clubhouse, complete with a new luxury spa, leisure facility and five-star hotel-style accommodation for visiting  JCB guests from across the world.

Lord Bamford said: “JCB is a global manufacturer with a successful track record in growing sales in overseas markets. As part of our plans to increase manufacturing capacity and grow sales, we need to build an even stronger awareness of the JCB brand around the world.

Here is my source of this information and a link to the full story
http://www.jcb.co.uk/About/News/2014/01 ... OURSE.aspx

Reason for making this topic is to find out everyone's opinions on what effect this could have for the resort ?
DeanGaryCox

Probably has a more positive effect than negative, as bringing more people into the area, which in turn could help alton towers (although questionably how alton towers would appeal to golfers), the potential negatives would be possibly more traffic in the area, gives another option for a hotel and/or spa in the area.
Image 2014
Zach

DeanGaryCox wrote: Probably has a more positive effect than negative, as bringing more people into the area, which in turn could help alton towers (although questionably how alton towers would appeal to golfers), the potential negatives would be possibly more traffic in the area, gives another option for a hotel and/or spa in the area.
Alton towers has crazy golf ;) I was also thinking possibility for more road improvements
DeanGaryCox

crazy golf... now that i actually love - actual golf not so much  ;)

yes hopefully there may be some agreement between Alton towers and them to sort out some road improvements, as the council aren't pushing Alton Towers enough by themselves to deal with the issue, although it is difficult with the loaction, and limited to what can actually be done with the roads.

Could make alton towers stay open til a minimum of 6/7  :lol:  to encourage customers to miss what rush hour traffic there might be in the area....
Image 2014
mattiepearce

I think this I more positive as it will increase the amount of people in the area and if there is a major event lots of people will be go to the local attractions(Alton towers). This could also mean that the roads could be improved.
Georgia_Leigh

It's already quite a long journey as it is for me to AT, so increasing the traffic will just make it longer! Although if they improve the roads it might not be too bad.
Courtesy of lewis97
Ryster

I work at JCB and can tell you with a reasonable amount of certainty that the new golf course (which wont open until 2018 I believe) won't affect traffic to Alton Towers by much at all.

First of all, it's only open to dealers, customers and other business guests. It won't be open to the public (unless JCB snag a major tournament of course, which they have said is a goal).

Secondly, road improvements are already underway at the junction of the B5030 and Station Road in Rocester where the entrance to the course will be located. I know because I'm stuck in long queues at the roadwork traffic lights every morning and evening :) 

Lastly, it's in Rocester, and the road from the A50 in Uttoxeter to Rocester is already reasonably good, and by the time it's opened, improvements to the junction of the B5030 and the A50 at Uttoxeter should be complete, or at least well on the way to completion. These improvements start in 2015/2016 (some articles mention them starting in 2014, but who knows).

Rocester junction improvements details:
http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/transpo ... ments.aspx

Uttoxeter A50 Improvements announcement:
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/A50-Utto ... story.html
Mark.aa

People will moan about the noise of golfers shouting four! :lol:
Flying golf balls  must not be visible above tree height! :lol:
Could be good as not all the players family may like golf and go to towers instead.
lf2001

Alton Towers already has Extraordinary Golf, and I don't see the point in another..
Themeparksandy1981

Drayton Manor got a golf course next to the main entrance. You even drive up the main drive to get to it and it don't add any more traffic.
Is this golf course going where the planned bypass was supposed to go? As if it is then we can safety say that the bypass plans are 100% dead now and driving though the villages is here to stay.
Dom

To be honest, i don't think it will have any effect on AT.