Shrek's Adventure London

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
jamesc

Merlin Entertainments has submitted a planning application to Lambeth Council to convert part of County Hall into a new visitor attraction.

The new venue would occupy some of the space until recently used by the London Film Museum which closed its South Bank branch just before Christmas.

The London Film Museum was opened in 2008 as the 'Movieum of London' by Jonathan Sands. It closed its doors at County Hall on 16 December, but the museum's Covent Garden site remains open.

Merlin already operates the London Eye and the Sea Life London Aquarium at County Hall, with the London Dungeon also moving into the building last year.

The name and nature of the new attraction – which could open to the public in 2015 – have not been disclosed in the planning application documents for reasons of "commercial confidentiality".

However, a letter to Lambeth Council from Iain Rhind of planning agents Nathaniel Lichfield & Partners reveals that the proposed attraction "will be the first of its kind worldwide and will complement and enhance the existing attractions at County Hall".

Documents submitted with the planning application show that the new attraction is expected to draw 600,000-700,000 visitors a year, with a capacity of 400 visitors an hour based on groups of 40 visitors entering the tour every six minutes.

The tour will include 10 shows/rooms each lasting approximately six minutes, including a simulator ride in the Rotunda space.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7323

Planning Application Link - Here: http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=MY49Z2BO67000
Last edited by jamesc on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
ThrillJunkie

Just a thought but could Merlin be moving Madame Tussauds to this new location? They moved the Dungeons here last year so could they be centralizing all of their London attractions?

They could add in a few small rides and a 4D cinema to make it different from the other Madame Tussauds.

Just an idea
Last edited by ThrillJunkie on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThrillJunkieUK
pillsburyb

Thats what I was thinking but reading the design statement it says it is a unique attraction.

Madame Tussauds London already has a 4d cinema
Themeparksandy1981

Well as it says each room will last around 6 mins each, I doubt it will be a Madame Tussauds. I think it will have something to do with London's History but in a fun interactive way.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

^ what like some form of dungeons? :lol:
Themeparksandy1981

It wouldnt suprise me if this new attraction was based on the royal family. The whole world loves them.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackcullen

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003010777

SHAKESPEARE’S ENGLAND

Trademarked June 2013 by Merlin Entertainments.

Might be putting 2+2 together and getting 5 but it's possible.

Also how many did Vengence used to seat, it it took 40 could it be the simulator.
nickhutson

It's not vengeance. Vengeance is gone. They hate it. It was a mistake. It'll never see the light of day again. They fell out with the ride hardware maker.

Plus it seated 20.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
pillsburyb

jackcullen wrote: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003010777

SHAKESPEARE’S ENGLAND

Also how many did Vengence used to seat, it it took 40 could it be the simulator.
I'd be inclined to say that Shakespeare's england was trademarked for future use at Warwick Castle
jon18uk

pillsburyb wrote:
jackcullen wrote: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003010777

SHAKESPEARE’S ENGLAND

I'd be inclined to say that Shakespeare's england was trademarked for future use at Warwick Castle
It's already in use as a website to advertise Warwick Castle and Warwickshire
http://shakespeares-england.co.uk/
Danny

So it has briefly been discussed in the sb that the new attraction at County Hall in London will be a shrek themed attraction. Although not much is known at this time there are a few news articles on it with some details:

http://www.lse.co.uk/AllNews.asp?code=w ... Attraction

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=115248

This sounds very exciting. What do you think?? :)
lf2001

Sounds good, and exciting :D Don't know what they're going to do with ten rooms though when it's just a film.
Ladyofthelake

I'm not quite sure what to make of this choice of IP for the new attraction. There is no question that Shrek is a popular franchise, and that it will appeal to families, however the last Shrek film was released back in 2010 and it was made quite clear at the time that it would be the last, although I know there have been a couple of short films done since. There was Shrek: The Musical, which was in the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane for just over 12 months and I believe that it is due to go on tour this year. I can only assume that Merlin are hoping to use that to help promote the new attraction.

It will be interesting to see just how the Shrek theme is utilised across the whole attraction. Will Merlin use a bespoke film like the Universal attractions, or will they just stich something together using existing footage from the films? I really hope it's the former. Looking at the plans I can see it being some sort of storyline which you follow through the attraction. There is the large simulator which I would think would be where any film would be used. If I remember correctly there were also staff changing areas on the plans, which would suggest live actors will be included, perhaps a different Shrek character in each room to help you on your adventure through Far Far Away. I would also hope that the continuity is kept with the films. I appreciate that there will be visitors who may not be familiar with Shrek, however I would imagine the majority of people who go to this attraction will know Shrek very well and so will feel let down if the storyline they use in the attraction does not fit in with the story already established through the films.
Danny

I have a feeling it will be a bit like a dungeons but shrek version. Instead of London history it will be all about the shrek films but have the same structure. Groups move from room to room etc; it wouldn't suprise me if they added a small ride as well. Where are the plans for this?

EDIT: May e this is where the 4D ride vengeance is going, obviously re themed though.
Ladyofthelake

The original planning application can be found here

As previously mentioned, included in the plans is a simulator which would, I expect, form some kind of ride element to the attraction. How this would fit into the overall experience won't be known until more details about the attraction are released.
Themeparksandy1981

Maybe it could be roughly the same attraction that was planned for Alton Towers back in 2011. It could be a 4D attraction with pictures from all 4 movies&props from the musical.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

DreamWorks have now hinted at a 5th Shrek film after announcing this attraction. There is an article here.
Themeparksandy1981

I wonder what the other 5 attractions would be? I hope Universal get a new Shrek 4D movie.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladyofthelake

According to the presentation that accompanies Merlin's Annual results the IP's will be things like Shrek, Madagascar etc. Merlin have 'Worldwide exclusivity on the new IP concepts, with the exception of Russia and China', which to me suggests that firstly, nobody else can create a similar attraction - be it stand-alone, or within a park and secondly, that it is unlikely Universal will be able to have a new 4D movie. A new Universal Shrek 4D movie will depend on the terms of the agreement that Universal have with DreamWorks.
Danny

So everything seems to have gone quiet on this for a while, and I still cannot find much information on construction of this at all. However, today I have been looking at jobs available with Merlin Entertainments and have come across a London marketing manager. This person would manage marketing for London Eye, Sea Life, Madamme Tussauds and London Dungeons. But it also states that they will have to manage marketing for the new Shrek's far far away adventure. :)

Source: https://merlin.taleo.net/careersection/4/jobdetail.ftl