Shrek's Adventure London

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Danny

So this year is the planned year for this new Shrek attraction to open its doors to the public. Has anyone heard any news on this or has it even started construction yet?

Surely we would've heard something by now?

EDIT: Jut found this announcing a Summer 2015 opening. Interestingly they name How to train your dragon and others will feature as characters.
It'll be a completely new storyline written by Dreamworks, and claims to be a whole new type of attraction.
See more here:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/fe ... -in-london" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dannyski

Yep, on the Annual Passes it's Premium passes only when it opens in September (if it opens in September) and you have to pre-book...which means they expect it to be horrifically busy or they want a soft opening.

Either way I hope its finished and operating to the same high standard of the Dungeon and they've learnt their lessons from Nemesis:Sub Terra Mk1 (that ride was an embarrassment when it first opened).

Also if they're going to make use of projection mapping tech, I hope they've discovered dampeners/clamps as their first attempt on The Smiler has been a bit of a fail in the way that the images have not hit their targets since day two of operation and often just project a blue screen.

I wonder if there will be an actor in a Shrek costume...
Danny

so although not much has been made public about this, I have found they are now advertising for roles as actors for the attraction. It states lots of the characters from the series such as Sleeping Beauty, witches, Gingerbread man and the muffin man.
Interesting to see this project is moving swiftly along, despite there being next to no advertising or announcements regarding their latest attraction.

Link: https://merlin.taleo.net/careersection/4/jobdetail.ftl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adz
Admin
Admin

This dazzling new indoor attraction located within County Hall London will bring together an AMAZING CAST OF ACTORS, a thrilling 4D ride, special effects and interactive films which will totally immerse our visitors as they go on a laugh out loud journey through the kingdom of Far Far Away, where they will interact with many of DreamWorks most famous characters such as Puss, Donkey and Shrek.
Interesting. I'm expecting the '4D Ride' to be a small version of the 'Immersive Tunnels' that are becoming increasingly popular.

http://www.simworx.co.uk/immersive-tunnel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mark_h

I find it a bit odd that the simulator ride is the first thing in the experience rather than at the end (to get customers to go out on a high).
Danny

mark_h wrote:I find it a bit odd that the simulator ride is the first thing in the experience rather than at the end (to get customers to go out on a high).
It hasn't been confirmed to be first has it? :-s
Adz
Admin
Admin

Having looked at the plans, it does appear that yes, the Immersion Tunnel* would be first. as it is located immediately after the ticket hall.

*The plans refer to this as a 40 seater Simworx Immersion Tunnel, so that confirmed my original guess!
mark_h

If you zoom in on the first floor plan there are arrows showing the visitor flow through the attraction. Visitors move clockwise round the green shaded sections.

The "final show" room is located bottom right on the plans, it looks to be the largest of the show rooms so they may have something more impressive lined up for the ending.

It would be possible to reverse the flow through the attraction easily, without having to make changes at ground floor level.
Dannyski

Perhaps they've got another ride of some sort planned for the finale? The dungeon manages two so I cant see why they couldn't do the same here...although perhaps not a drop tower!
Adz
Admin
Admin

I doubt there's another ride, as they would need to make structural alternations to fit in a ride system - this immersive tunnel is needing the floor to be strengthened to hold it and the plans do not indicate anything like that going on elsewhere in the attraction.

We do appear to be getting a dungeons-style mirror maze though!
DeanGaryCox

So does anyone know the planned opening date as someone mentioned September, and a news report said July in time for summer... just that i'm planning to visit London end July / beginning of august anyway so am hoping; what's this about annual pass holders not being allowed in, or does it not matter if you're premium. cheers.
Paul_richard

DeanGaryCox wrote:So does anyone know the planned opening date as someone mentioned September, and a news report said July in time for summer... just that i'm planning to visit London end July / beginning of august anyway so am hoping; what's this about annual pass holders not being allowed in, or does it not matter if you're premium. cheers.
1st September is the earliest date Premium pass holders can gain access, they also need to prebook their visit and obtain a free ticket.

Standard passes are not entitled to free entry and need to buy a full price ticket.

VIP pass holders are supposed to be able to enter from opening.

The date of the 1st September is liable to change according to the terms.
DeanGaryCox

Where was this information taken from?

It certainly would be annoying if they did actually refuse any premium passes til like 2 months after it opens (if it does open in July)... at least if they did strictly limited prebook tickets only. But not a lot we can do lol.
Paul_richard

It's on the pass website Terms & Conditions. Purely designed so they can maximise full paying guests over summer period.

http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/terms.aspx
10.4 A Premium Merlin Annual Pass can only be used to obtain access to Shrek’s Adventure from the 1 September 2015, other than in the event of a delay in the attraction opening to the public in which case Merlin shall notify each individual Premium Merlin Annual Pass holder as soon as reasonably practicable of the new date for which a Premium Merlin Annual Pass can be used to obtain access to Shrek’s Adventure.  Access to Shrek’s Adventure will be subject to tickets being booked in advance with all tickets being subject to availability. A Standard Merlin Annual Pass does not entitle a pass holder to obtain access to Shrek’s Adventure.
Lee

I'm not overly surprised by them refusing passes until September as they'll be inundated. There's well over 350,000 annual passes based on last years figures - I am however shocked that they haven't offered an 'upgrade' like Fright Nights and Summer Nights for Standard pass holders.

I do hope they don't begin to restrict access to certain attractions on the pass, kind of alters their purpose.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here's a first look at some concept images for the attraction, taken from a Merlin Presentation that was given yesterday. The images do look promising and give the impression that it will be well-themed.

Justin

More details have been released of Shrek's Adventure! via the Chessington Easter Short Breaks email.

The attraction has officially been called Shrek's Adventure! DreamWorks Tours London with a brand new website; http://www.shreksadventure.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

"Shrek’s Adventure! London invites you to step into your very own hilarious, mad-cap adventure, alongside everybody’s favourite ogre and all his pals from Far Far Away.

Ride a magical ‘DreamWorks Tours’ London bus, and enjoy 10 fairy-tale themed shows with a good dose of Donkey’s cheekiness, amazing animation and captivating storytelling from DreamWorks, the producers of Shrek."

The website promises a brand new Shrek adventure, opening in Summer 2015
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Although I posted a screenshot of the presentation above, I've only just watched the webcast of it which has revealed a few other details. Nick Varney suggested the attraction will open towards the end of June, whilst also providing some details of the experience with the premise of the attraction being a travel agency set up by Donkey. Guests will climb aboard the tour bus and be taken over London and through numerous scenes from various DreamWorks films before crash-landing in Shrek's swamp. After making their way through the majority of the attraction, guests will then be able to meet with characters from films such as Madagascar and How to Train Your Dragon, as well as those from upcoming films.

It was also revealed that the deal allows Merlin to open a total of six Shrek attractions, which will all feature the same original video content, although the initial simulator ride will be amended to fit with the attraction's location.
Justin

It will be interesting to see the popularity of this attraction. From what you posted Lewis, cities will have this attraction only, ruling out Merlin locations such as Blackpool. I don't think we'll see another in the UK. I can see 3 going to the US ans possibly 2 to Asia.
nickhutson

and Shrek will, apparently, only be a projection in the attraction!!

Looks good, though.

Is that an interactive Wheel of Fortune game I see?