Alton Towers Hotel & Splash Landings

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

I don't think it's necessarily that the hotels are too expensive, after all, it's the cheapest one that they've had to close. I just think that already have way too many rooms. The Enchanted Village and CBeebies Land Hotel, two of the more expensive options, have been pretty successful, I'd say. 

I really don't think building any more accommodation is a good thing at all, whatever price range they place it in, or whatever style of hotel they build. They simply already have too many rooms. If they want to build a budget hotel, why not just lower the room rates for Splash Landings, instead of closing it outright, and then building yet another hotel? 

Swarm Chris

Sadly the hiccups Alton Towers have been having this year have moved to the hotels as well. They are currently unable to book anyone into any of the hotels with a Merlin pass, as the system for both online and the call centre have gone down. Looks like it's been down for the best part of the week. The only bookings they can take are full cost bookings that include park or water park tickets.

And the sun was looking so tempting this weekend...
jackf1tz

You can't even throw your money at them!
glittabones

I stayed in the Alton Towers Hotel for the first time this week and I was pleasantly surprised - some of the reviews on TripAdvisor make it sound like a hellhole but I had a lovely room at the end of a quiet corridor and a view of the lake! Went to Splash Landings for the water park on Wednesday and obviously the hotel was closed but I don't think I'd stay there - the smell of chlorine sort of follows you around, haha. I could taste it on my food from the Adventurer's Cave.
Swarm Chris

Always found the hotel well run and with friendly staff. You do need to book for meals and being early for breakfast is generally a good idea. The rooms are better than most of the Disney Paris ones I felt.

Only issue I had was in the midpriced room that comes with the giant teddy bear, because they're close to the foyer and it doesn't have enough sound proofing to block the music from there.

Oh and those giant teddy bears are now on sale in the hotel shop. They come wearing a Wickerman t-shirt.
glittabones

TPC wrote:Only issue I had was in the midpriced room that comes with the giant teddy bear, because they're close to the foyer and it doesn't have enough sound proofing to block the music from there.
I was in a Moon Voyage room and I couldn't hear a single thing! The mid-priced rooms go right to the very end of the corridors and I guess I got lucky. :D
DSG

We're staying in the enchanted village this weekend and usually eat at Flambo's. Didn't realise SL hotel was closed - I tried to book a table at Flambo's but there were no available dates for dinner showing until July. Is the restaurant and bar closed as well or just the hotel? We usually spend the evening with the kids there in the mini arcade and bar area.
Robert.W

I think when Splash Landings Hotel closes, everything including MaGarrita's, Flambo's etc, also closes too. The Water Park stays open, but you have to access it via a different route. They have permanent gates inside the hotel now to section off different areas when it closes. 

DSG

Thanks for the reply. Must say I'm slightly annoyed as I phoned the booking desk last week and the lady first seemed surprised that I couldn't book on "book a table" but then assured me that I could just turn up and wait for a table on the night.
Swarm Chris

Currently looks pretty closed apart from the water park, which uses a side entrance at the moment.
DSG

Does the Crooked Spoon have a bar area and entertainment or it is just a restaurant? Just wondering what we're gonna do with the kids now as they'd usually spend hours on the 2p push machines while we had a pint or 2 in Magarita's bar.
Robert.W

The Crooked Spoon is just a restaurant (you may be able to use it as a bar if you're sitting outside?), but I have seen a few different types of entertainment over all the times I've dined there, wether that is a singer, or a walk around character (such as the Enchanted Village Mayor...), I've seen balloon shape making, and I think in the summer there may be out door entertainment, although I'm not sure what this consists of. To my knowledge, there isn't any set schedule of entertainment for the Enchanted Village, however it might be worth checking out the Alton Towers Hotel for that kind of thing. Link

Having had another look, Alton Towers website says:
You'll be able to enjoy plenty of family-friendly entertainment in the Enchanted Village. You can also make the most of activities taking place in the Alton Towers and Splash Landings Hotels, from children’s shows to live singers.

(All entertainment varies between peak and off peak seasons. Guests cannot access facilities in the CBeebies Land Hotel).

glittabones

The arcade in Splash Landings is still open.
Robert.W

It is, but I don't think anything else is though, and I imagine the Arcade will close at the same time as the Water Park does..

DSG

I spoke to the bookings office again and they said the arcade is open so we'll take the kids there for their fix when we come out of the water park.
Zach

DSG wrote:I spoke to the bookings office again and they said the arcade is open so we'll take the kids there for their fix when we come out of the water park.
There is an arcade in the ATH which very close to the bar, so you could still have your pints while the kids get there 2p fix 
Nickolai

https://www.altontowersholidays.com/sea ... offer.html

Am I right in thinking this offer does not include 40% off? When checking without using the link to the deal the pricing structure remains the same.
Formally Smiler313
ROYJESS

Not too sure what you are asking?

It's up to 40% off accommodation using a MAP or season pass when booking through the Merlin holiday club.  However not all accommodation are discounted at all. The discount can vary depends on the date and type of accommodation. 
Zac

Is it me or have the hotel rates gone through the roof this year?
Just been quoted £243 for a room in the Alton towers hotel, B&B excluding park tickets! For a quiet Monday night outside of term time!!! Really??
Swarm Chris

Hotel rates appear to still be going crazy.

First weekend in May, for 2 adults, already with passes:

Splash: £354
CBeebies: £489
ATH: £459
Treehouse: £1653 :lol
Pod: £273

These rates are around the same price, if not slightly more, than I got last October at the Hard Rock Hotel, at Universal Orlando, during Halloween Horror when the hotels across the Resort were at capacity. Bearing in mind Hard Rock Hotel gives you unlimited express passes (fastrack), and the rooms are significantly larger and nicer. Whereas my last two Alton Towers Hotel rooms have had cork stuffed in the spyglass hole as someone had removed the spyglass from the door, the air conditioning barely worked, and the room smelt of sausages from the kitchens in the morning.

For the first time I'm actually now searching for off-site accommodation.