Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
timmy1372

[quote=""bond231""]Ok!! I think everything is going out of hand. Thorpe is a brilliant place just as Alton is just as Chessington is. They all offer something different so they can not be compared equally. Yes Alton has the atmosphere and the coasters, thorpe has the flats and the thrills. and chessington has the kids entertainment! Enough end of story! Different parks different people!

And thats the end of that chapter! :lol:[/quote]

Thats what i was saying, but a little more long winded. :shock:
Fanta

Stealth vs. Rita. Stealth is the most unoriginal ride concept Thorpe could have possibly thought of!!! Yes, it is faster and has quicker acceleration but I much prefered Rita's launch to that of Xcelerator's, as you have more freedom and are not boringly stuck to your seat. All bias aside, I thought Rita has much more intense!!! With top-hat elimants all you do is go up, with the exact same sensation of the launch apart from the sky is in front of you, you slow triumphently on the top (which could deliver some serious air-time), and then you advance into a totally forceless, and (Bias aside I assure you) unintense vertical drop. Alton wins.

Nemesis vs. Nemesis: Inferno. Ermmm... do I really need to say anything??? Alton wins.

Air vs. Collossus. Admittingly, a tough one, but Air was never claimed to be this huge monster Collossus was, and after the novalty of 10 inversions woar off air remained the better ride. The finaly of C is terrific, but the start and middle of the ride aren't anything IMO to that of Air's. The back-ward downward open helix, the drop, the inline twist, and that bunny hop!!! Excellence. And plus Air may possibly be the most original ride in the world, with all attention on flying!!! You really get this sensation, and the ride and it's surroundings breathe atmosphere. IMO the most magical ride in the UK!!! Alton wins, only just though.

Oblivion vs. Tidal Wave. Google Eyed Alton wins.

Spinball Whizzer vs. X:\ No Way Out. Don't make me laugh. Alton win's.

Samurai vs. Ripsaw. Top Spins are sometimes an awsome flat, but Thorpe have totally wrecked this baby! Plus, on Ripsaw you get the wetting of your life!!! Alton wins.

Rush vs. Submission. Thorpe wins Rolling Eyes

Slammer vs. Blade. THORPE WINS!!!

The Flume vs. Loggers Leap. Sure LL is far more intense, but intensity is so not the key on log flumes. The Flume is sooo much fun, and the themeing is superb. It is also very magical, going through the woods and so on. Always puts a smile on my face so, Alton wins.

Ribena Rumba Rapids vs. Conga River Rapids. I feel RRR is terrible. It's themeing is next to non, and what is there is all tatty, and it has no atmosphere. CRR is sooo much fun, and is beautifully landscaped into KK. The waterfalls are amazing, and though you don't get wet much it is a blast!!! Definatly best rapids in the UK. Alton wins.
So your comparing rides that can't be compared to each other as well. Oblivion VS Tidal Wave? WTF is that about.

Stealth vs. Rita.- Best thing about Rita is the launch. The rest is pretty much standard stuff. How you compare a ride that isn't finished yet against one thats been running for 5 months now, makes me wnder if you should have woken up that day.

Nemesis vs. Nemesis: Inferno.- Prettyobvious, although I'm not a fan of either

Air vs. Collossus.- yeah its spelt Colossus. And you can't compare them. For commercial success Colossus is easily the winner. For ride experience I can't decide between the 2. There both great rides. No Winner.

Oblivion vs. Tidal Wave- You can't compare these 2. Ones a coaster, the others a Water ride. Tidal Wave easily beats all the Alton water rides (yeah both of them).

Spinball Whizzer vs. X: No Way Out.- Oh Jesus christ. Your clutching for straws now.

Samurai vs. Ripsaw.- Samurai easily. If a ride needs fountains to make it enjoyable, you know theres a huge problem.

Rush vs. Submission.- Holy Bajeebus. Slammer's more comparable in this instance. And I like both, they do practically the same thing anyway.

Slammer vs. Blade.- Its more like Banana Boat VS Blade. Banana Boat wins. Your also forgetting Vortex and another close competitor Rush.

The Flume vs. Loggers Leap- I prefer the Flume but families will prefer Loggers as its more intense.

Ribena Rumba Rapids vs. Conga River Rapids.- Lets don't go to far, there both boring and rubbish. Congo drifts on merrily for about 3 minutes before doing anything half decent. And even then theres only 30 seconds of action before it drivels on towards the end. doing nothing special at all. Rumba is just plain strange. The Best rapids in the Uk aren't Congo, Splash Canyon at Drayton is 2000% better, as it actualyl gets you wet without resorting to waterfalls on either side or crappy little sprayers.

As has been said Thorpe and Alton can only be compared because of the Nemesis sisters and the rides that aren't part of the Thrill ethos. Chessington and Alton are much more easy to compare to each other.
Queen of Speed

I dont think burn.e has actually been to Thorpe so you can discredit that entire post, dont worry.
Anonymous

And from now I'll ignore wehatever you have to say Queen of Speed, you *** ** * *****!!!
Splash Canyon at Drayton is 2000%

Are you serious :|.

Might as well make that two opinion dismissals.

:firebounce:
Anonymous

rita isnt as great as say collossus or "AT" nemesis or nemesis inferno, rita is "fast" with some sharp turns and if i can remember like one or two camel humps (which frankly are the best and only good part of the ride)

and yes i sat in the front.

no loops, too short

boring not worth the backside loving praise its currently recieving on this post and on the official website reviews (which i might add have left similar review) but as well all know A.T wont leave it on there

after going to thorpe park and alton towers this year i can hand on my heart say thorpe park is far superior

bigger efforts , more investments and you dont have to walk miles inbetween each theme zone
Anonymous

In my opinion Thorpe Park efforts are really to a minimal, which of course reflects itself across Thorpe to create a very half arsed atmosphere.

Queen of Speed

burn.e, have you been to Thorpe Park?

If you have, I apologise for my last post.
Anonymous

Queen of Speed

Ok, fair doos.
timmy1372

[quote=""Burn.e""]2003

:firebounce:[/quote]

I would visit again, possibly next year, Slammer alone is worth it. lots of installations since 2003, i wouldnt visit in 2003, would now.

Very good park, but so is Alton. Rita is good but overated, its all so fast but then its over too quick, Nemesis is good because its fast enough to be exciting but slow enough to take in whats going on, plus the turns are tight to give some good Gs, For me Rita is the launch which is amazing, but then there is faster versions of that too.
Anonymous

I know this sounds ludacris and all, and I'm to be labelled a fanboy, but I enjoyed that launch of Rita much more than that of Xcelerator!!! I think it's because it wasn't so fast as to pin you back to your seat, leaving nothing for you to do but shout "weeeeeee" :roll:. Rita really, really, took my breath away aswell.

I just think Thorpe happens to be extremely over-rated, and whilst superb, isn't in the same league as the UK's #1. It has no depth. It is just rides and a small bit of themeing, nothing else.

timmy1372

I didnt say it was better than Alton dont worry :(

Just its worth another visit, since they installed most of there current line up in the past few years. 8)
Phil

[quote=""Burn.e""]Loads for adults and children. In a way Alton has way, way more things to do than Disneyland, bar the Theme Parks.
[/quote]

Have you ever been to disney?!

It has 3 water parks compared to Altons one...
It has 4 theme parks compared to Altons one...
It has about 20 hotels within the resort campus compared to Altons two...
It has 3 mini-gold courses which could be compared to Altons gardens...
It has many lakes and walkways...
It has a sports centre...
It has nightlife in downtown disney...
It has cinemas, bowling, shopping, boats hires, jet-ski hires etc. etc....

:!:
Anonymous

Burn.e, it seems to me that if it is not at alton towers it is crap. Some of those comparisons, are terrible. Also about air beaten colossus i think there maybe a bit of an argument there and also the huge rumour is that the thorpe 2008 coaster is going to be a flyer better than air, signs show a possibel pretzel loop.
srw985

[quote=""Fanta""]
Tidal Wave easily beats all the Alton water rides (yeah both of them).
[/quote]

technically isnt toyland tours ( or charlie and the chocolate factory or whatever ) a water ride?:lol: :lol:

it beats all them c*appy rides like tidal wave and the flume easily :lol: :lol:
Chester City Football Club
bond231

Burn.e you would be suprised how much Thorpe has changes in two years. And I think you are being a fan boy and dismissing everything at thorpe. Loads of your rides can't be compared.

Rita would be the same as Stealth if it wasn't for the height laws!!!
Anonymous

Thorpe Parks additions over the last 3-5 years have been very good additions to there park, without the new rides they have added they wouldnt be a well regonised park and alton would still be towering above it with quality rides but now the tables have turned. To me TP seems like the better park, they are always adding new rides, new intense rides unlike alton who have added spinball whizzer and rita, which imo are not the most intense rides you will ever come across and are not the most special rides you will come across, where as Nemesis Inferno will be seen as intense by alot of people, same with Slammer, Rush, Detonator and Stealth when it opens. I know alton have the roper problem, but I am sure more thrill rides could be added.

Also Alton Towers may be called a theme park, but it seems like Thorpe Park has got alot more theme around the park and Alton Towers themeing is pretty poor imo, yeah Hex and Nemesis is well themed, but I am not sure what else has a decent theme :?
Anonymous

[quote=""Burn.e""]I know this sounds ludacris and all, and I'm to be labelled a fanboy...

I just think Thorpe happens to be extremely over-rated, and whilst superb, isn't in the same league as the UK's #1. It has no depth. It is just rides and a small bit of themeing, nothing else.

A small bit of theming?? No depth?? Have you been to Thorpe recently? It's one of the brightest, funkiest, happiest places in the country! The theming is fantastic! While I disagree about the rides making it the UK's number One - the theming does give AT a run for its money!

Even Crofty commented during our trip in the summer that it made him feel like he was back at a Florida park!
Philman

[quote=""Burn.e""]In my opinion Thorpe Park efforts are really to a minimal, which of course reflects itself across Thorpe to create a very half arsed atmosphere.

Since 2003 alot has changed... yeh 2004 much didnt happen, but as for 2005 TP got 2 world class flats which i think are both amazing! Not only that, but the park has improved in much other ways. For example, the staff are alot nicer and you can infact hold conversations with them if you really wanted to. Something you probably couldnt do at Alton....

Phil :)
What a fad.
timmy1372

I have said before, Amity Cove is one of Tussauds finest works in recent times and soon to have Tidal wave (Amity Cove) with a backdrop of Stealth, nice.

Alton clearly has the better setting/location, but thats not theming itself although Thorpes lakes are not bad, considering how near central London it is.