Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
phil2k4

Let's not be thick.

Any Top Scan couldn't beat the RMT in my eye's. Ride's aren't just about intensity. Sure, flats can be very intense but that's not the point. A good ride is not about a thrill, but an experience. Look at Air!

Flat are fair rides, nothing more and nothing less. Good Rollercoaster's are real rides (and I fine "ride" as an understantment).

--

Quote:
Plus your coments about Rita's launch being better than Xcellarators are stupid how is Xcellarators launch boring? The tophat gives great airtime and huge thrills.

Are you a dunse teenager or what? For staters have you ever been on Xcelerator. Surely if you have you'd spell it correctly And of course you don't get air time on a top hat. Have you seen how much the train slows. No thrill is to be had on the top end of that elimant at all, just some nice views . And statist's proove nothing, so stop dismissing my opinion. Rita's launch is tonnes better than Xcelerator's. It's launch isn't boring, but not as fun as the Queen of Speed's at all.

Quote:
Thorpe Park is making a great thrill park and with the addition of Stealth it'll be an amazing thrill park.

Oh purlease. OK, let's have Alton rip out all of it's family/kiddy rides and aspects and name the park an "Ultra Super Xtra Thrill Park" shall we .

two words for you burn.e:

FAN BOY
AlToNpWnZ

Please can you just go away. Actually .. stay, some of your pathetic comments are really making me laugh!

As much as you adore Alton, you have to live with the fact that Thorpe is just as good in many people eyes.

Alton fanboys :roll:
phillipvass

[quote=""Adz-TTR""]
also Chessington has the best Top Spin in the country
Had... Now its not allowed to invert because it doesnt present a family atmosphere.[/quote]

What! :shock: When did this happen, are they insane!!! ](*,)
iridium

Tussauds turning Alton Towers into a resort would be a great idea if it was actually up to the standards that a resort needs to be to...well, to call itself a resort really.

Two overpriced hotels, a theme park and a swimming pool. That is not a resort I'm afraid, thats just a theme park with two hotels and a swimming pool.

I'm not saying that they won't ever be a resort, I just think its too early for them to start advertising themselves in such a way.

Now places like Disney, Universal Orlando. They are resorts. They ensure that when the parks have closed, or if you just want to spend a day outside of the parks, you still have loads to do. Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Golf etc... Two restaurants, a swimming pool (Which closes at what? 9pm?) and a dodgy S-Club-7 tribute band pale in comparison.

As for Flat Rides being nothing. I'd happily bet that if Alton Towers installed any one of Thorpe's flat rides you would be praising them endlessly about how great they are "Oh Alton Towers. I love you. I want to have your coaster babies".
martyn maloney

can i say that to me the best alternative if u want a park for kids, adolescents and adults would be drayton manor

they hav ethe zoo(animal thingy)
thrill rides shock-wave, apocolypse
family rides SF10 ect
I now have an annual pass for AT and all other Tussauds attractions at long last

At visits this year :5
planned :7
Anonymous

Just an afternote...can people throwing insults a few posts above, not. It's not very nice, and we're all nice, happy people on TTF. :D :shock:

And this is turning into a bit of an Alton/Thorpe topic and I'm sure there's one in AT Polls. My posts were referring to a particular aspect of the original post, but let's start discussing whether TP is standing more and more for 'Thrill Park' :lol:

Love your favourite moderator x :lol: :lol: :lol: (Irony, in case I get somebody jumping down my throat)...

:twisted: :P
fanm

Thorpe and Chessington are next door neighbours so could never be gunning for the same audience. There were rumours of a shuttle bus link being started between the 2 parks, and hotels being built, so I thought that Tussuards could be selling them as a 'Resort' (spend 1 day at Thorpe, sleep at a hotel, spend 1 day a Chessington). Alton is the jewel in Tussuards crown, ubut I fear that it is a lot easier to sell Thorpe And Chessington as a resort than Alton.

I will explain why in my next post
Argh! REVISION
Anonymous

I agree.

Tussaud's have done a cracking job of separating them into two differen audiences. Add them together and you get the purpose of Alton, but two separate jobby's is an excellent idea.

I disagree than Thorpe would be easier to become a resort though! Defiantly! Alton is for me a rare breed that can actually make a decent resort. The key elimant, Mystery and Atmosphere! And plus they have a little extra space. Thorpe could do with a normal Hotel though, you know, a Drayton Manor job.

Thorpe need to concentrate on adding more, good coasters, and some dark rides here and there me thinks. And there would be nothing wrong in installing a family ride here and there. I say get ride of all the "fair" aspects (like that slide thing), as the only thing seperating them from being a fair is coasters, themeing, and some other stuff that I can't be arsed to write down.

:firebounce:
Beaver Dude

Are you a dunse teenager or what? For staters have you ever been on Xcelerator. Surely if you have you'd spell it correctly And of course you don't get air time on a top hat. Have you seen how much the train slows. No thrill is to be had on the top end of that elimant at all, just some nice views . And statist's proove nothing, so stop dismissing my opinion. Rita's launch is tonnes better than Xcelerator's. It's launch isn't boring, but not as fun as the Queen of Speed's at all.
Yes I have been on Xcelarator (twice) and i got loads of airtime. You get airtime on Oblivion and that stops at the top of the drop so of course you'll get airtime on Xcelarator. Fine you have your opinion but it was the way you said 'boringly stuck to your seat' which to me means that you are saying the launch is boring.
Let's not be thick.

Any Top Scan couldn't beat the RMT in my eye's. Ride's aren't just about intensity. Sure, flats can be very intense but that's not the point. A good ride is not about a thrill, but an experience. Look at Air!

Flat are fair rides, nothing more and nothing less. Good Rollercoaster's are real rides (and I fine "ride" as an understantment).
Disagree. Flats are equally important as rollercoasters they are what AT lacks completely. All they have is a poorly run topspin (which I hear pales in comparison to a fairground version), and an enterprise. Plus a well run and present fair ground ride will give an equal experience to Air. So your harsh dismisal of flat rides is silly to say the least.
Oh purlease. OK, let's have Alton rip out all of it's family/kiddy rides and aspects and name the park an "Ultra Super Xtra Thrill Park" shall we .
This is an exaggeration Thorpe has only taken out Flying Fish (RIP), Eclipse (which nobody liked) and model world. Only one of these attractions was really anything special. So I don't think Thorpe have 'ripped out' the family rides. So as I said Thorpe is a great thrill park and the visitor numbers this year prove this.
iridium

I say get ride of all the "fair" aspects (like that slide thing)
That slide thing? I assume you mean depth charge. How exactly is that a fair aspect? I can't say I've ever been to a fairground which has had such a ride.
the only thing seperating them from being a fair is coasters, themeing, and some other stuff that I can't be arsed to write down.
Like the fact that it isn't a fairground? The fact that it doesn't have the atmosphere of a fairground? The fact that it doesn't look like a fairground?

Saying that just because a park has flat rides it is practically a fairground is just utter rubbish.
Anonymous

Alright, chill out.

Just needs some more Coasters and Darks to become a mighty fine park. Next year it will equal Alton in the thrill department, but I feel a big part of the Theme Park is the magic/atmosphere which compared to Alton there is a null comparison.

I do believe there is such thing as too much flats, especially in ratio to decent coasters. Alton has the problem vise versa'd.

I hear the Tussaud's want to make a bid to make Thorpe a resort aswell? I feel this is a terrible mistake if it goes ahead. A hotel would be very helpful but not the full status. Surely every Theme Park resort needs family aspects, thus families can stay there. And all decent resorts have magic. Look at Disney... and unforgettable experience, and now Alton. Perhaps I'm looking into this atmoshphere lark too much, but it seems Thorpe would pale in comparison to such other resorts.

fanm

What I meant is that if you were a family of 4, wouldn't you want to visit 2 parks on a holiday instead of 1. That is the sort of thinking that means that Disney is more of a holiday destination than Universal. More Parks=More Rides=More Thrills.
Argh! REVISION
Anonymous

Yeah but if you add all the Thrill's and Family aspect's from Thorpe and Chessy they still wouldn't add up to what Alton Towers has to provide.

I agree 2 park are cool, but not when they serve 2 different purposed. It is so much more convenient to have a family all in 1 park, rather than 2, and whilst at that "resort" theres lot's more to do besides rides.

Gardens,
Cariba Creek,
Spa,
Towers.

Loads for adults and children. In a way Alton has way, way more things to do than Disneyland, bar the Theme Parks.

It'd be rediculous to have a 13 year old bored out of his mind, trecking around CWoA, for a whole day watching his 5 year old brother have loads of fun, then the next day vise versa. No logic what so ever. It would be a reasonble idea to combine the two parks into 1 resort, like Disneyland and Disney's Cali Adventure.... but that'd be impossible.

Anonymous

You couldnt do the two parks in the same day as you never know the traffic. The parks are to far apart and it would just be pointless.
iridium

[quote=""Thirst""]You couldnt do the two parks in the same day as you never know the traffic. The parks are to far apart and it would just be pointless.[/quote]
Plenty of people have done a morning at Chessington and an afternoon at Thorpe. Some people even do Thorpe, then Chessington and then Thorpe again in the same day.

They are only about a junction or two apart on the M25, about 20 minutes drive. Plus in the event that the two were to be linked in such a way, the long rumoured/proposed shuttle bus service would probably come into play.
Anonymous

I thought Thorpe Park was already a thrill park with the slogan "Twisted Pleasure" or I'm just an idiot.
Anonymous

I also thought that Detonator opened in 2001, not 2004 as incorrectly stated. That was Samurai, the Top Scan...

Anyway, I think that Thorpe has turned to the worst, just look at what happened yesterday, a group of people ATTACKING a woman with a PUSHCHAIR AND 5-YEAR OLD CHILD :!: :!: :!:
If Thorpe trun into a resort it means people like these will stay in a hotel, has anyone been in the same hotel as a HUGE group of chavs? If so, do write in...
Chessington has a much better atmosphere than Thorpe, and possibly Alton, as more calm and collected families go there.. Not a bunch of unruly teenagers going 'blap' and the like...Really, it's a shame Thorpe became the monster it has...

And I live in London............. :shock:
Anonymous

It takes me about a day to have a good time at Thorpe. In no way could you do a bus service linking the two.
First reason is the motorways traffic is so unpredictable.
Second reason is that theme parks are about having a fun day out. Not running on as many rides as you can to then get on a bus and then try and then to once again jump on as many rides as you can. Its about dedicating one day to do everything at a nice pace and have a fun day out.
timmy1372

Alton has its fair share of "incidents" no less than Thorpe anyway, chessington certainly has the least of the three.

Chessington is a good park, Proffesor burbs Bubble works could be argued to be Tussuads best themed ride ever, i hope they dont ruin it in the revamp.

Disney has different parks and advertises it as a multi day thing, with Epcot centre and Disney world and hotels etc, why cant Chessington and Thorpe be marketed this way, its a formidable couple of parks and run side by side but offering different experinces is very appealing.

Thorpe has a big Thrill element but lets not forget they still have a good kiddies section and in that section the railway train to a very good farm away from the whole park.

Personally i like them all, i will be getting an annual pass and will be visiting them all including chessie.

This year Alton gave us a new popular coaster but shut an absolute classic, thats not progress in my book, they could of atleast ran it until a replacment was found, sitting idle like that is a waste.

Thorpe is becoming a respectable park in terms of rides, they are trying to become no more a thrill park than Alton tries to be, they are just installing some quality rides to gain status as a big player, they still have rides for all.

Alton attracts less chavs (for want of a better expession) because of its remote location rather than it being more family orientated than Thorpe, Thorpe is much easier to get to without family taking you there, thats the only difference.

If Alton was in Thorpes area it would attract the same mix of people.

And Kacey you need to ride Slammer again, they must of turned it up or something since because its really intense and is one of my favourite rides, the forces involved are stunning as are the visuals of watching it.
bond231

Ok!! I think everything is going out of hand. Thorpe is a brilliant place just as Alton is just as Chessington is. They all offer something different so they can not be compared equally. Yes Alton has the atmosphere and the coasters, thorpe has the flats and the thrills. and chessington has the kids entertainment! Enough end of story! Different parks different people!

And thats the end of that chapter! :lol: