Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dan

cowolter wrote: I wonder if Towers are carrying on with theirs? 

Oktoberfest is a blast. Most friendly beer drinking event I've ever been to. It's really a conglomeration of all travelers, which is completely fine.
Alton Towers are still promoting their Oktoberfest event, which suggests they plan on it going ahead.

It must be noted that the Thorpe event is being marketed more towards the 18+ demographic, whereas the one at Towers is heading for a more family friendly approach.
OliverDav

I have just visited Thorpe Park and have been deviated to find out most of the Bose speakers have been Replaced!

Walking into Nemesis Inferno’s queue line I noticed some areas had more sound but to closer investigation I found out that most of the Bose speakers had gone and been replaced by RCF speakers. I do not know a lot about this company but they seemed pretty heavy duty but they stood out like a sore thumb and were not nearly as hidden as the Bose speakers.

Just as I thought they were the only audio changes done to Inferno I was shocked to see them replace the Bose speakers in the station! I looked up to the ceiling in fear but was happily greeted by the amazing Bose sound cannons. But as of Covid-19 restrictions I wasn’t in the station too long and the music was toned down so I don’t know fully if they are still in operation. But the is still fear in the back of these magnificent sound cannons will be removed. They definitely have seen better days but for a quick look they seem to be fit for operation.

I can see why Merlin have done this as Bose has stepped away from the commercial industry and are more of a domestic speaker company.

It would be devastating to see more sound cannons go but   the average person wouldn’t really be interested how well a speaker system sound at a theme park/amusement park but it really adds to the experience.

I don’t see the other Bose speakers lasting long before they all get replaced. It would be sad to see Bose leave Thorpe but at least some areas are being brought back to life with the new RCF ones.
Chris
Admin
Admin

I'm sure it comes down to cost.

The Tussauds Group originally had a contract with Bose and installed their equipment in to all new attractions that opened up, from Air to Colossus..

This contract clearly ended, and with the park's dwindling capex and maintenance budgets, I am guessing Thorpe chose the best value equipment.

Some old chat on Bose speakers in the parks can be found here.

The wave cannons are indeed still suspended from Inferno's station ceiling, but I am not sure they are used any more.
mrspazman

Are you looking for these?  :)

The Bose speakers were replaced in places because they’re old and broken (I fixed all these). They likely chose RCF to replace moving forward as they provided better ‘boom’ for their buck  :P
OliverDav

Ah yes!

I’ve been looking around all the forums to find out any info about the speaker change!

How did you get these and how many have you repaired?

Just another quick question do you know if they will replace the Bose sound wave cannons in Inferno’s station?
mrspazman

I can’t divulge that information unfortunately. Not sure on the status of the Bass Cannons. If they do go though, I’m sure the replacement will be sufficient. :)
OliverDav

Ok thanks for the reply! :)
abigsmurf

Reports of a stabbing on the bridge. Police say it isn't terror related and it looks like there was only a single victim.  Hopefully the victim is ok but on the bridge at around closing time when everyone is leaving, lots of kids will have been around.

Place full of people wanting to have some fun after some miserable months and someone does that. Gets you depressed...
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Full statements on today's incident are as follows:
Thorpe Park wrote:On 18th July 2020, an incident took place at the Thorpe Park Resort where a guest was seriously injured by another guest.

"The Resort’s security team and fully trained medical staff were at the scene within minutes and administered immediate care until emergency services teams arrived. The Police were alerted immediately and the Resort is co-operating fully with their investigations.

"The health, safety and security of our guests is our primary objective. We have an excellent security track record and have never had any incidents of this kind in over forty years.

"Our staff are trained to respond to incidents of all size and scale, and the Resort’s security staff maintain regular patrols on site. CCTV cameras are also situated throughout the Resort.

"We will be maintaining contact with both the injured guests’ family and the Police.
Surrey Police wrote:We’re investigating an assault that took place close to the exit inside Thorpe Park on Staines Road in Chertsey this afternoon (Saturday 18 July) shortly before 4:55pm.

Two groups of people were involved in an altercation on the bridge close to the exit and one man aged in his twenties has subsequently been treated for a slash wound to his stomach. He has been taken to hospital and his condition is described as serious. No-one else was hurt.

Officers have been carrying out enquiries at the scene and two men, aged in their twenties, have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. They remain in custody at this time.

Detective Inspector Andy Greaves said: “I’m keen to hear from anyone who saw what happened or who has video footage of this assault. The two groups of people were close to the exit inside the park on the bridge when the assault took place.

“We’re still trying to establish what has happened, however I’d like to stress that this incident is not being treated as terrorism-related at the current time.

“Enquiries are ongoing to locate all those believed to have been involved. Officers will remain in the area for some time this evening and I’d like to thank Thorpe Park for their assistance and co-operation with our investigation”.

Anyone with information should call us on 101 and quote ref PR/ P20166906.

Alternatively, if you prefer to remain anonymous, you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Link
South East Coast Ambulance Service wrote:We were call to attend Thorpe Park in Surrey at about 4.50pm following reports of a person with an abdominal injury.  On arrival, treated one person who was taken to a London Hospital. We have no further information.

Link
OliverDav

I visited Thorpe yesterday and I noticed that it was as busy as it was last year.

Does anyone know how much they have caped their capacity by?

It was busy as you would expect on a summer day but when I went on opening week and it was very quite and most rides at the end of the day were a 10 minute wait.

It’s a bit strange but overall I got on all of the big 5 and it was a very fun day!
Tom170499

I had two visits to Thorpe this week and both days the park was absolutely rammed. The big 5 spent most of the day either on 90 mins plus or closed. There seemed to be little space on the main pathways to social distance and I queued nearly 45 mins for Amity Kebabs on one day. Really not a great experience of Thorpe. My partner had never visited before and after our experience this week, he doesn't want to go back in September. I was really disappointed to be honest. 
AltonOperator

You’d hope that Thorpe would have a heavy cap on visitor numbers given their small size but it sounds like it’s not the case. It’s lucky they’re not doing other things like virtual queues that would keep even more people on the paths.
Thanks Jack
OliverDav

Sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good time.

I went on the second week on the Wednesday and I was packed to the brim like it was Fright Nights busy. I went in yesterday knowing it would be packed so I wasn’t as disappointed but I was pretty annoyed on Wednesday.

The day before I went yesterday I was at Alton Towers and was very impressed, most people were social distancing and was respecting everyone else and I felt way more safe and it was very organised.

Hopefully the end of this year or next year Thorpe will be more organised but it is Thorpe Park so I’m not too enthusiastic.
OliverDav

Hello, I was at Thorpe for my birthday today and it was the best day ever! I was so happy that Nemesis now plays the old dispatch melody and the bass it gives if really good!

Sadly by the looks of it the Bose cannons have been retired but they chose the right speaker company to replace the cannons with.

I’m really pleased with my day out and I had the best birthday day out in years!

Hope everyone is enjoying summer! :D
Pins

A new book about Thorpe Park is being released next month:

Perfect for fans of the park and enthusiasts around the world, the Making of Thorpe Park is the ultimate theme park book. Get the story behind classics such as Loggers Leap and Thunder River, to modern beasts such as Stealth, Saw and The Swarm. It's an engrossing tale of fierce rivalries, massive gambles, and constant evolution.

- The story behind every ride in the park’s 40+ year history
- Revealing new and long forgotten fascinating facts
- Exploring the past, present and future of the UK’s first theme park
- The crazy stunts and ideas to promote the park and rides
- The full big, enormous, giant, humoungous, great story
OliverDav

Was at Thorpe recently and wow do them cannons give some bass you can feel the whole structure when it plays the dispatch melody, just amazing! There definitely still using them :)
Chris
Admin
Admin

Thorpe Park have updated their Oktoberfest page with new text confirming that the event will be back again.

The 2021 opening times page also indicate the extended hours for the event, similar to 2020.

Prost!
mol7030

Has anyone tried out DBGT since it reopened yesterday? I’d be interested to know what changes it’s received (as would be expected due to the pandemic?)
Chris
Admin
Admin

Not just yet. At the moment the idea of wearing a VR headset is a real turn off, which I feel may be a common theme with guests for a while...
CraycrayforCoasters

If I were to hire out nemesis inferno (edit: for an hour) how many of you would come, this'll most likely be next year, as i don't thing i'll be hitting 1000 this yeah as i'm on 569 right now and it's not too long til season's end, just trying to see how many people would come--