Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Owen

DannyG wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but did anyone notice that the police car theming by saw was removed last year due to vandalism??
No, but it's back now :D
Burniel

Will Detonator be closed until May?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Jack

^This was asked on TPM, this was what thorpe said:

"Detonator will be open from the start of season as usual. It will close for around a week just prior to the launch of Angry Birds Land to be rethemed :)"
lf2001

I'm not happy since the park have decided to re-theme one of the thrill rides in the park and change it to theme in with Angry Birds. I don't think it'll be much of a thrill ride when it's taken over by Angry Birds in May.
stealthsmiler

It will still be a thrill ride as the ride experience wont change, it will just be themed like a ride for children when it wont be a ride for children.
lf2001

stealthsmiler wrote:It will still be a thrill ride as the ride experience wont change, it will just be themed like a ride for children when it wont be a ride for children.
I don't see the point really. Just gonna be a waste of money really theming a ride of kids when it's still a thrill ride.
stealthsmiler

Yeah I dont see the point, but if Thorpes getting money from Angry Birds, it must have paid off to do it. Although I wish it was a different ride that they re themed. Something more family friendly
lf2001

I've just seen the new Thorpe Park map. Personally, I think it's awful, but it is better than the previous maps we've had over the last few years I guess. So what do we all think?
RollercoasterGEEK100

I love the 2014 map and its easier to navigate the park if someone has never been there before...
Dom

For those that haven't seen it yet here it is.

http://themeuk.net/Thorpepark2014wm.jpg

I like it. I think it looks different. They are really try to put emphasis on the coasters.
lf2001

Yeah it's the coaster thing that just ruins it really. Surely after having that awful one, we'll it wasn't really a map for the last few years, surely they'd learn to actually make a map that people can guide their way around the park with. But like Alton Towers', it's getting there.
Burniel

It's really not a proper map. It's a poster
BenBowser

stealthsmiler wrote:Yeah I dont see the point, but if Thorpes getting money from Angry Birds, it must have paid off to do it. Although I wish it was a different ride that they re themed. Something more family friendly
Exactly, I have no idea why they didn't go for the Tea Cups. They're close, they don't fit in, and they family friendly.
Burniel

Does anyone else feel like they should just chuck some dodgems in to replace Slammer, and re-theme Canada Creek?
stealthsmiler

The tea cups would have been perfect, whizzing around in little angry birds. If they had done that I would be saying "well done Thorpe, good move" (I think non traditional tea cups look brill, AT did an amazing job fitting in theirs to MB) But they chose Detonator? People will be like, "I look such an idiot queuing for a ride I know is great but themed for 7 year olds. Awkward looks come to mind.
jon18uk

stealthsmiler wrote:It will still be a thrill ride as the ride experience wont change, it will just be themed like a ride for children when it wont be a ride for children.
Why do you think that adding some angry bit signage to Dentonator is going to make it a children's ride? It's still a drop tower, just instead of vague pirate stuff and signs saying Detonator there will be bird bomb signs.

Also I am 32 and love the Angry Bird games, they are not something for Chrildren only really.

Did adding Sonic to Spinball at Alton towers make it a children's ride? No it was a spinning coaster and still is, just with a fibreglass Sonic outside!
jon18uk

stealthsmiler wrote:The tea cups would have been perfect, whizzing around in little angry birds. If they had done that I would be saying "well done Thorpe, good move" (I think non traditional tea cups look brill, AT did an amazing job fitting in theirs to MB) But they chose Detonator? People will be like, "I look such an idiot queuing for a ride I know is great but themed for 7 year olds. Awkward looks come to mind.
Adding new ride cars to the teacups would be expensive. Changing the signage on detonator is cheap. It was never heavily themed before, so some stuff at the top and change of signage is easy to.

Also as Detonator was designed to tie in with the old Pirates 4D show leaving it Pirate themed when the Pirate show was removed years ago is a bit stupid anyway.
Danny

From the map it looks as if detonator is being painted green
BenBowser

Ilovecoasters wrote:Does anyone else feel like they should just chuck some dodgems in to replace Slammer, and re-theme Canada Creek?
No! Canada Creek is the only area of thorpe that I can't find a fault!
The Crab of Nemesis

jon18uk wrote:
Why do you think that adding some angry bit signage to Dentonator is going to make it a children's ride? It's still a drop tower, just instead of vague pirate stuff and signs saying Detonator there will be bird bomb signs.

Also I am 32 and love the Angry Bird games, they are not something for Chrildren only really.

Did adding Sonic to Spinball at Alton towers make it a children's ride? No it was a spinning coaster and still is, just with a fibreglass Sonic outside!
Agreed, I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is about. Detonator will be the same ride (even retaining pretty much the same name), just with an Angry Bird feel, which as you say isn't a franchise aimed directly at children, in fact many older people enjoy it.

What confuses me is the area it will be in. The whole land is being fitted into a really small and quite bizarre area and will split the current amity (as I believe that's meant to stretch from Tidal Wave up to Stealth). I know Thorpe aren't big in theming, but this will seem a little disjointed I think...

However I do welcome the angry birds theme. Alienating families entirely was a terrible idea and it's nice to see Thorpe finally welcome them back (hopefully not too late) despite keeping the core focus of the park on big thrills. This years marketing, I think, looks really good compared to the past few years.
ImageSince 2008