Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
ROYJESS

nemmyrules wrote: Help, nervous coaster enthusiast!

Hello everyone, my name is George and I am terrified of riding Colossus. I have ridden every other coaster in the park multiple times and have not found an issue, but I'm terrified of being sick on Colossus. I am severely emetophobic, which means I am essentially terrified of vomit. I have ridden all of the rollercoasters except for the Smiler at Alton Towers for the same reason. My favourite ride is Nemesis, and that is intense as hell so I just want to know if Colossus makes you feel as sick as other rides on the park. Obviously as an aging Intamin it isn't going to be smooth but I'm just worried about how sick them quadruple heartline rolls and the reverse one at the end will make me feel. Thank you
If you can handle SAW, Nemesis (and Nemesis Inferno), as Justin say's you should be fine with Colossus and The Smiler.  
Anti motion sickness advice, you could try one or more of the following
1) Travel sickness pills (bear in mind that these work by making you drowsy/sleepy)
2)  Seabands wrist bands (they work by pressure points)
3) Flat CocaCola (make sure it has gone flat before drinking)
4) Ginger
5) Peppermint (could be tea, but I use the extra strong peppermints, Tesco do their own branded ones for a £1 for a pack of 4) , Suck on one in-between rides as they can be a choking hazard if consuming on the rides. 

****The peppermints is my recommended method which I currently use, but all of the above works well.   Like I said with the travel sickness pills, they can make you very sleepy which is not good if you are driving and could also put a damper on your day, but should wear off withing 6 to 8 hours, read the instructions on the box for more info******
Swarm Chris

With the removal of the last remaining artwork for SAW: Alive last week, SouthParks has looked back at Thorpe Park Resort's joint longest running scare attraction, which first opened in March 2010 as a year round attraction.

Based in the refitted Thorpe Belle, for a brief period part of the queue line used a low powered electric fence. Each room in the maze portrayed a scene from the SAW film franchise, with one room including an actual Billy the Puppet prop used in one of the films. For those who were particularly fearless, it provided an extremely memorable and extreme Brave it Alone.

It is an attraction that will be missed. What are your memories of this popular, long running scare attraction?
Morgan

Experienced the maze a handful of times during it's lifetime and... yeah, I won't really miss it. Ironically I felt a bit too "safe" in the maze with the conga line aspect, the very sparse audio design, and the fact that guests were watching spooky stuff, rather than experiencing it first hand- which is what makes so many mazes great in the first place. Also it was horribly stuffy in there for the incredibly short amount of time you were in there- props to the staff for putting up with the heat!
As long as the old Belle is finally put to rest rather than being awkwardly SBNO on the edge of the park, I'd say this closure isn't bad.
KaiPhillips

Loggers station is now fenced off with a skip and scaffolding...fright nights or removal?
#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 The Swarm #6 Flug der Damonen #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA
KaiPhillips

Hate to break it to you but I hope you're completely aware that this will sit meaninglessly, ugly and pointless on the edge of the park.
#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 The Swarm #6 Flug der Damonen #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA
Swarm Chris

Tidal Wave now has a member of staff permanently positioned at the turn before the station by the water cannons, on the guest side of the fence.

Not sure of their purpose other than to look really bored.
Swarm Chris

As reported by SouthParks News, the Coca Cola Freestyle machines at Thorpe Park Resort have received a new software update, with guests now able to design their own Freestyle drink and the introduction of Mezzo Mix to the drinks menu, the first time the mix has been available in the UK.

By downloading the Coca Cola Freestyle app, guests can choose up to three drinks to mix together before arriving at the Freestyle station and give their creation its own name. When ready, guests scan a QR code on the machine which allows the drink recipe to be uploaded from the app to the machine ready to pour.

Will you be trying this new feature on the Coca Cola Freestyle machines at Thorpe Park Resort?
Swarm Chris

As reported by SouthParks News, a tasty new addition has arrived to The Island Shop at Thorpe Park Resort, with Krispy Kreme now available.

Choices include Chocolate Dreamcake, Strawberries and Kreme, Salted Caramel Cheesecake and Original Glazed, with options for single doughnuts or multi-pack bundles.

Will you be enjoying these new treats?
Swarm Chris

As reported by SouthParks News today has seen the first of three Club MTV events take place at Thorpe Park Resort.

Situated in Stealth Plaza, and despite intermittent rain, the event kicked off at 3pm with a set by Majestic, who was joined by the Resort's own Jungle Explorers on the dance floor.

Club MTV continues on 17th August and 7th September.
Anderzon

Then into the game part of the attraction. The quality of the puzzles impressed me greatly, both in terms of physical construction and their problem design. Immediately it felt like walking into The Crystal Maze, and I'm fairly sure everyone in our group had a similar level of excitement and awe that I had myself. With group sizes of around 5-7, the puzzles are well thought out such that everyone could participate, and in some cases had to participate in order to succeed.

So it's slightly sad that the ending doesn't seem to be quite there at the moment. The issue is entirely on the creative and story telling side, with all actors providing a brilliant performance and the sets still having the high production quality. Whilst it's possible a change will come before the attraction fully opens on Saturday, I'm not overly sure what change could feasibly be made in the time available to solve the problem it has. However, the current ending does not massively detract from the overall experience. My only thoughts after more time thinking about it, were that if the number of rooms you experienced had been doubled, then the experience would have been exceptional and a great ending perhaps easier to devise.
How many times have you been in that Jungle Escape room? Is it still active? The last time we've been in London with my friends, we've visited Escape Room from firm called Komnata, (here they are: https://komnata.co.uk/london/summary/), and maybe I'm still too excited, but I think that it's one of the greatest escape rooms I've ever been. We've discovered a lot of cool puzzles out there.
Last edited by Anderzon on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Swarm Chris

Anderzon wrote:How many times have you been in that Jungle Escape room?

Is it still active?
I've been through Jungle Escape 3 times. Twice as part of a preview, where my posted images came from, and once as a paid for customer (well, Dom paying :) ).

Jungle Escape is currently scheduled to remain open until September 23rd, however if you are thinking of visiting nearer the end of September it may be worth keeping an eye of the Thorpe Park website, as the final day has been brought forward once already.

In an update to my original review, the ending had not changed when I went through after it had been open a couple of weeks. Also, as a group of 3 in my final go, and with no hints to the other two people from myself, we managed to do the puzzles much quicker than any of the groups did during the preview. I'm not entirely sure why or how we managed them so much quicker though.
Dom

Swarm Chris wrote:
Anderzon wrote:How many times have you been in that Jungle Escape room?

Is it still active?
I've been through Jungle Escape 3 times. Twice as part of a preview, where my posted images came from, and once as a paid for customer (well, Dom paying :) ).

Jungle Escape is currently scheduled to remain open until September 23rd, however if you are thinking of visiting nearer the end of September it may be worth keeping an eye of the Thorpe Park website, as the final day has been brought forward once already.

In an update to my original review, the ending had not changed when I went through after it had been open a couple of weeks. Also, as a group of 3 in my final go, and with no hints to the other two people from myself, we managed to do the puzzles much quicker than any of the groups did during the preview. I'm not entirely sure why or how we managed them so much quicker though.
Maybe Amber and I are just really clever :lol
If its closing mid to end of September, does that mean Thorpe Park's now infamous terrible Vulcan Peak (Of disappointment) will be returning? Probably not :lol
Jungle Escape isn't bad. It just needs some fine tuning and a completely new ending. The ending it currently has doesn't work unfortunately. I think once they fine tune it, it could be a great attraction. Thorpe have a habit of getting things only kind of right first time. Normally in its second year is when things get better. So if it returns for 2020, It will be interesting to see if any changes have actually happened. 
Swarm Chris

Vulcan Peak is definitely not returning! :lol

I do wonder though if Jungle Escape could possibly be used somehow at Fright Nights. The second new fear mentions a challenge. A slight adjustment to make the story line more fearful and add some additional actors, could be an interesting twist.
Dan says hi

A small ride downtime update:
I’ve seen on another forum earlier that it looks like both Stealth and Quantum will be closed for a considerable amount of time. I think this comes from someone who has info inside the park. Considering the amount of issues Quantum has had this year, the may as well just announce it’s returning in 2020 now!
Swarm Chris

The Quantum situation is really peculiar. It was first testing back in May, then opened for barely half a day nearly a month back, and has been closed ever since. I'm not even sure it has been seen testing since then.

It clearly seems like it is meant to be open. It even recently received shiny new area themed bins in its queue line.

Swarm Chris

As reported by SouthParks News, Thorpe Park Resort have today updated their published opening times, reducing the number of remaining summer late night openings to 3 nights.

Originally planned to operate between 10am and 8pm every Thursday, Friday and Saturday during the summer, the Resort will now only open late on 3 Saturdays: 17th & 24th August, and finally on 7th September for Club MTV.

Dan says hi

Been to Thorpe today: I won’t bother giving a full report of the day but I’ll give a few things.
First of all, the park was very very busy today with long queues for everything really.

Pros:
• The Park seemed to be able to easily cope with the crowd it got today with there being no moments where I felt it was overcrowded anywhere.
• The operations on some rides were very good: Special mention to the two guys on Nemesis Inferno this morning literally running along the platform to get the restraints checked.
• BounceZilla does look like a fun addition for the summer and it was consistently busy in that area all day.
• Finally, The Park in general does look very tidy and clean.

Cons:
• The operations on some other rides were absolutely diabolical: Zodiac, Rush and Swarm are the three rides which I found to be operated awfully today. It was taking Zodiac over ten minutes between cycles to load and off load! And Rush was taking almost that amount as well.
• There seemed to be a lot of confusion at the end of the day between both staff and guests about when they closed: The website said 6pm, the app said 8pm, two different members of staff said two different times, and when 6pm came around many people were still trying to join queue lines.
• Finally, the area around Rumba Rapids does really need a paint and a clean as I feel that that is the one section of the park which seems to need work.

Finally: Update on Quantum and Stealth-
• I only wondered over the Stealth twice today and from what I could see and hear there looked to be no obvious work going on so they might possibly be waiting for a part.
• Quantum has scaffolding up over one side (not sure how long that’s been there) and there were lots of engineers working on there today. Doesn’t look anywhere close to opening though!
KaiPhillips

THIS IS AMAZING!
Dan

Today saw the second Club MTV event at Thorpe Park.

Due to the ongoing closure of Stealth, the Club MTV stage was located next to Tidal Wave, and given the amount of people hanging around the area once the music got going, I’d imagine park management will be kicking themselves for not putting it there in the first place!

Due to it being one of the main routes through the park, with not only people heading to Angry Birds Land and The Jungle, but those heading towards The Dockyard too, it caught the attention of far more passing foot traffic than it did on the day of the first event, so there was a healthy crowd gathering from about 2:30 and everyone seemed to be having a good time. It’ll be interesting to see whether they put the stage back next to Stealth for the third and final event, presuming of course that Stealth is operational by then.
Swarm Chris

Quantum has been slightly taken apart again. The front left theming casing has been removed, with scaffolding built up around the arm.