Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Jack

I will be honest here, I am not best pleased at the seeming removal of the Summer Nights event, I couldn't care less about the opening hours, but Summer Nights was the single best event put on by any park last year. It is quite obvious that the lack of massive profitability will be the reasoning behind this, but to me it would seem like a better move to have as much going on at Merlin theme parks at this time more than anything else. :)
Luce

I too think it's a shame that Summer Nights won't be returning although I can see why the decision's been taken. It was great though and despite the park being quiet, there was still a really nice atmosphere and made for a more relaxing couple of hours.
craig.day.92

Do you think in the long term Thorpe Park will build a bigger and more permanent hotel when and if the park grows etc.
Justin

The original plan was to begin groundwork this year. I believe the application dates back to 2014, with the permanent hotel looking similar to what Alton Towers Hotel looks like now externally.
Max

Disappointed at the cancellation of Summer Nights. Easily the best thing from any of the Merlin parks last year. As said, there will be a business reason, very likely to be cost cutting, but it's a shame, as they were so good.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
craig.day.92

Justin wrote:The original plan was to begin groundwork this year. I believe the application dates back to 2014, with the permanent hotel looking similar to what Alton Towers Hotel looks like now externally.
Ah ok, So there is no updates on if it got the go ahead or not? Id like to see Thorpe Park with a nice size hotel and entertainment along the lines of AT hotel or splash landings.
Justin

I've heard nothing to suggest the development will begin this year. The hotel has been long rumored with other plans dating back further than this, so don't hold your breath!

Just found the news article from SouthParks - http://www.southparks.co.uk/2014/05/16/ ... new-hotel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ladyofthelake

Justin wrote:I've heard nothing to suggest the development will begin this year. The hotel has been long rumored with other plans dating back further than this, so don't hold your breath!

Just found the news article from SouthParks - http://www.southparks.co.uk/2014/05/16/ ... new-hotel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Hotel development is currently scheduled to begin construction in the summer of this year ready for a proposed 2018 opening. At the moment the Resort are in the process of meeting all the conditions set out as part of the approval of the plans before they can start the development.

Of course, as with any development, plans could be subject to change based on any number of reasons, but certainly the last time I checked Merlin appeared to be committed to the delivery of this project. I guess we'll soon be able to tell if it is going ahead according to schedule if we see signs of construction in the summer.
Justin

If it does, then it will be a good step forward for the park. Let's hope ground is broken this summer! I'll be keeping an eye out for it!
Luce

It would certainly be nice for Thorpe to have a more permanent hotel which would give them a venue for evening entertainment similar to Alton Towers. It would also give them more of a resort feel which I think it doesn't really have with the Shark hotel at the moment - I guess the shipping containers add to that 'temporary' look too :)
Capt.Barnacles

Thorpe Park have posted on their Snapchat revealing that Tidal Wave's water tower flood effect has been restored and is working once again! Good news, it seems Merlin are pouring money into taking care of their rides this year with the Tomb Blaster upgrades/fixes and TLC at Towers as well!

Dom

Yay! This is great news. I'm so glad they have managed to get it working. :)
Justin

About time!
At least it will bring a bit of atmosphere back to the ride!
Altontowersbarlow

I agree, such an improvement that will give the ride visual impact again.
Dan

I've never seen the water tower operational so I'm looking forward to seeing it in May :)
KoasterKraver

Good news
Burniel

Amusingly, I never actually got to do the maze last year as I'm not willing to queue an hour for what reviews are calling a very mediocre attraction. I'll definitely have to make the effort this year. Hopefully people will be preoccupied with the ghost train and the queues will be shorter.

Good to hear about the refurb, it's great to see improvement occuring at Thorpe even with a huge investment for this year already.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Justin

It is ok, but an attraction you could easily miss out.
Danny

I wasn't a fan of the attraction last year. The acting was poor, the scripts were cringeworthy, and just lacked any feeling of a game you are supposedly a part of. I think my disappointed is partially down to the way the maze was marketed.
However it's nice to hear they are changing parts to offer a new experience and I'll go in with an open mind this year :)
Dan

I was far from impressed by I'm A Celeb last season. I certainly won't be rushing back to experience it although I would give it another go if reviews of the refurbishment are positive.

That said, I don't think I'd queue over 10 minutes for it.