Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
themadman26

After a lot of thinking I had a thought is it me or is Thorpe Park becoming the Thrill Park of Taussands triplets? I think this as the rides have become alot more well thrilling.

Chessington recently became a family park with the rides becoming tamer and they had the Eclispe Ferris Wheel for 2005 wheras Alton Towers had Rita Queen of Speed which compared to the rides at |Thorpe Park such as Rush and Slammer is made to look like a kiddie family ride in my eyes.

Thorpe Park hasn't stopped with the thrill rides such as

:!: Nemesis Inferno 2003
:!: Detonator 2004
:!: Rush and Slammer 2005
:!: Stealth 2006
Chessington has
:!: Dragon's Fury a Family coaster 2004
:!: Eclispe Ferris Wheel 2005
:!: Bubbleworks revamp 2006  
Alton Towers
:!: Duel/Berry Farm 2003
:!: Spinball Whizzer/The Flume revamp 2004
:!: Rita Queen of Speed 2005
:!: Toyland Tours revamp 2006

The past Alton Towers rides as you can see have been rather weak and less forceful compared to Thorpe Park's. So let's have a look some anaylis of the rides

Bold = Thrill ride
Italic = kiddie ride
Underlined = Meduim ride
Thorpe Park hasn't stopped with the thrill rides such as

:!: Nemesis Inferno 2003
:!: Detonator 2004
:!: Rush and Slammer 2005
:!: Stealth 2006

Chessington has
:!: Dragon's Fury a Family coaster 2004
:!: Eclispe Ferris Wheel 2005
:!: Bubbleworks revamp 2006  
Alton Towers
:!: Duel/Berry Farm2003
:!: Spinball Whizzer/The Flume revamp 2004
:!: Toyland Tours revamp 2006

Just my longest post ever and some thoughts  :shock:
Good Bye I\'m off elsewhere
Sazzle

Omm thinking about it, I wouldn't quite go along that slant, though I have similar thoughts.

I'd say it's something to do with the region of the country that both parks are within. Two parks within such a short distance need to be very distinct from one another - you can't have blurred borders for a park where families and thrill are concerned. I think they're trying to create a definate image that will attract the families to Chessington, and the thrill seekers who are travelling to the area, into Thorpe.

It may be more of Tussauds not wanting to falsely attract families to the opposite park etc - they want to send out the right message to the right people.

Commenting on the kind of investments - Alton is a higher profile park, with Thorpe only just catching up. Tussauds have, in my opinion, opened their eyes and realised they can't concentrate on just one park anymore. Remember the state of the park before the additions, and then look at investment.

Addition of Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe - Alton already have Nemesis, so they focus on the renovation of an existing ride.

Detonator at Thorpe - Alton would never get planning permission for such a ride, and already have Oblivion as a close comparison. They focus again on the renovation of an existing ride, and install a new coaster to fit within both thrill and family categories.

Rush and Slammer at Thorpe Vs Rita QoS - hardly a fair comparison... Two flats versus a launced coaster? Thorpe are filling in ready for Stealth, while Alton are one step ahead and land their planned coaster to attract the thrill population. I seriously wouldn't say this coaster has been marketed at the family - the advert is enough to put any weak mind off the idea!

Stealth, a high profile thrill coaster Vs TT revamp - again Alton choose to focus on an ageing attraction that has fallen by the way-side. Looking at it, Alton is the one that Tussauds focus their attention on primarily, with Thorpe a year behind.

Back to the point, I wouldn't say Alton is losing out on their reputation, but they have a much larger audience to cater for as they incorporate families and thrill seekers the same park, with a range of attractions. Thorpe is more concentrated on thrill rides, yes, but they don't have the problem of integrating families as Chessington does that job in a seperate park a few miles away.

Um.. I think I made my point? I've only just woken up :P
Anonymous

[quote=""themadman26""]

Chessington recently became a family park with the rides becoming tamer and they had the Eclispe Ferris Wheel for 2005 wheras Alton Towers had Rita Queen of Speed which compared to the rides at |Thorpe Park such as Rush and Slammer is made to look like a kiddie family ride in my eyes.
[/quote]

I'm not quite certain of what you mean here....but I read it as you think Rita is a family ride compared to the likes of Rush and Slammer?

I've got to COMPLETELY disagree. The thrill of Rita has me coming off weak at the knees and wet at the eyes :P. Slammer was a HUGE disappointment for me - nowhere near as intense as I had expected it to be.
Rush was better but even after the first couple of rides, the effect dulled down. Nothing out of this world (sorry Thorpe Park fans!!)

Rita is so much more intense than those two.

[quote=""themadman26""]:!: Rush and Slammer 2005

[/quote]

This can't be! According to your code, Rush and Slammer are high-intensity rides but Rita is a family one! Have you been on any of these three rides? :P

But anyway, yes, Thorpe Park have been subject to a vast expansion plan and a heavy investment programme, and it has been well documented that Tussauds aim to make TP their 'thrill' arm out of their three UK parks :D

:twisted: :P

grrrr! what's going on with my colour and bold?? It's all right, but not working!!??

Edit - Sarah-TTF

Sorted missy - one bad piece of code, I spotted it and removed it

Sazzle x
bond231

well thats generally the idea. chessington has 90% of its rides for under 12's hence the whole thing with kids get in free and all. thorpe is deffinatly going for the thrill park. its not just bedcuase they are so close it is also becuase they don't have huge amounts of space so it makes sense to do that.
Anonymous

Chessington is more aa family theme park
Thorpe is starting to get to a thrill park for more the people who like the thrills
Alton has a variety of thrill rides and smaller rides for the kids.

Rita is an extreme ride believe me i know after i was injured yesterday on it which was something to do with the intensity of the launch.
Wally B.

Tussauds just want each of their parks to be individual. Chessington is for children and families with youngsters, Alton Towers is becoming the 'resort' park, and Thorpe is the amusement park, I guess.
WATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER?!
Adz
Admin
Admin

Thorpe is the amusement park
Please.. Thrill Park.. Theme Park.. anything but Amusement Park! Thats blackpool deary.

Thorpe Park is obviously going for thr Thrill image, and Alton Towers is using its reputation as a great day for ALL the family, whilst Chessington is struggling to get rid of thrill seekers and attract the family market.

Ride such as Slammer and Rush, no matter what they ride like make a big statement when advertising the park, you just look at them and they have the wow factor. This shows that Thorpe Park are indeed the current Thrill Park of the country.
Anonymous

You don't say, of course Thorpe are becoming a thrill park.

Chessington isn't a family park, it's more like a kiddie park, but you can still find family thrill rides.

Alton is definately the family choice when there are older kids in the family.

Rita is a thrill ride, though not as big as Nemmy or Oblivion, it rates pretty high.

Thorpe is a themepark, if it was an amusement park it would have no theming.

Alton though is still the major choice, not far followed by Thorpe though. I am going to Chessie in October so hopefully, i'll be able to get a much better view, but i still see it as a Kiddie park.

I don't think Rush as a high-intensity ride, it's too short like Submission. Slammer is a very high-intense ride.
bond231

chessington is still good especially dragon's fury which is good but if it was at say thorpe it would seem really tame etc.
phillipvass

also Chessington has the best Top Spin in the country :)
Anonymous

[quote=""Corkscrew Mad""]Alton though is still the major choice, not far followed by Thorpe though. I am going to Chessie in October so hopefully, i'll be able to get a much better view, but i still see it as a Kiddie park.[/quote]

It is a kiddie park, but for me it feels closer to Alton than Thorpe does. It's bigger for a start and has a building in the middle which acts as a sort of centrepiece - with different lands branching out. The zoo (sorry - animal land) adds a unique touch and if you allow yourself to switch off from the fact that the rides are not that intense (except Rameses Revenge & Black Buccaneer - if they can run a Pirate Ship on full setting at Chess, why the hell can't they do it at Alton?) then it's a great park. I often take my Godson there and its so great to see him enjoying the place (yes, forget what you see on that pic - he DID enjoy it!) whilst he and I wait for him to reach 1.4m (he's currently 1.36...) and the real AT fun can begin.

It's no secret Thorpe is being marketed as the 'thrill park' of the three - and it offers a great day out with some fun rides.

As a coaster fan, rather than a flattie fan - Alton for me is the true thrill theme park of the three. It's remained that way in comparison to every UK park since I first went aged 13 and a day out there still has the magic now that it did then. That's the way I hope it stays.
Adz
Admin
Admin

also Chessington has the best Top Spin in the country
Had... Now its not allowed to invert because it doesnt present a family atmosphere.
Anonymous

Basically...

Thorpe - Thrill Park

Chessington World of Adventures - Kiddy/Family Park

Alton Towers - Resort!

I think it's a great idea that Tussaud's have seperated these three into different "catagories" if you will. So...

The Thrill Park. This is the worst of the 3 markets I feel. It really has a limited way of going forth. If being a "thrill park" means adding a bunch of flats when and where ever then any park can become a thrill park, thus Drayton's recent bid. And failing that, the parks ride don't provide all that much of a "thrill" anyway, compared to Alton's they are very much family rides. And finally, failing that, it has the least atmosphere and themeing of the three.

The Family/Kiddy Park. A great theme park, yet whilst marketing Tussauds have to remember it is a small place. It has a great, wacky and fun atmosphere throughout and has some nice theming aspects. Again, whilst small, it has a some fun for all the family!

The Resort! Marketing Alton as a resort is just gold! With such a huge theme park, and so many top-notch thrill and family rides it may take more than a day to get the full experience. Failing that, the awsome entertainment in the hotels, such as the UK's #1 waterpark, could give you a great weekend break without the park. It's apsect are all indiviually bigger than either of the above. It's white knuckle rides are sooo much more innovative and awsome than Thorpes, and there is more quantity for family fun than Chessington, both probably of the same quality. The area themeing is IMO the best in the world, and the atmosphere is just unbelievable! It is just the ultimate theme park expierience.

Don't mean to come across all fan-boyish, but Tussauds need to urge that Alton is the superior of the two by such a long shot! Like I said, it has more thrill than Thorpe, and more Family than Chessington, and people could go to either thinking otherwise, and obviously being exremely disapointed!

:firebounce:
phil2k4

And failing that, the parks ride don't provide all that much of a "thrill" anyway, compared to Alton's they are very much family rides.
I would say that Thorpe Parks rides are at least as thrilling as altons if not more so. what have alton got to go up against thorpes flat rides, which are quality and just as important as rollercoasters. Thorpes rollercoasters might not be quite at the same standard as Alton but i think they are just as thrilling. saying they are family rides is a ridiculous claim. i would like to see you get a family on detonator or slammer. dont think so. and N:I and collosus are hardly kiddie rides are they? tidal wave is a bigger and better water ride than anything at the towers, loggers leap is imo more intense than the flume with the double drop. samurai beats ripsaw anyday for thrills. to put it bluntly, thorpe has more thrill rides than alton and alton is more the family park than thorpe.
The area themeing is IMO the best in the world, and the atmosphere is just unbelievable!
you haven't been to disney or universal have you. they wipe the floor with the towers. no offence but you are coming across as an alton fanboy
Last edited by phil2k4 on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fitchy

[quote=""Kaycee-TTF""]

I've got to COMPLETELY disagree. The thrill of Rita has me coming off weak at the knees and wet at the eyes :P. Slammer was a HUGE disappointment for me - nowhere near as intense as I had expected it to be.
Rush was better but even after the first couple of rides, the effect dulled down. Nothing out of this world (sorry Thorpe Park fans!!)

[/quote]

well Rush was until recently has been running in and has know had its speed full height and ride duration increased and leaves you with a similar feeling as rita does. slammer has also had problems from opening and still is suffering and will be having it's speed increased in the near future
Anonymous

[quote=""phil2k4""]
And failing that, the parks ride don't provide all that much of a "thrill" anyway, compared to Alton's they are very much family rides.
I would say that Thorpe Parks rides are at least as thrilling as altons if not more so. what have alton got to go up against thorpes flat rides, which are quality and just as important as rollercoasters. Thorpes rollercoasters might not be quite at the same standard as Alton but i think they are just as thrilling. saying they are family rides is a ridiculous claim. i would like to see you get a family on detonator or slammer. dont think so. and N:I and collosus are hardly kiddie rides are they? tidal wave is a bigger and better water ride than anything at the towers, loggers leap is imo more intense than the flume with the double drop. samurai beats ripsaw anyday for thrills. to put it bluntly, thorpe has more thrill rides than alton and alton is more the family park than thorpe.
The area themeing is IMO the best in the world, and the atmosphere is just unbelievable!
[/quote]

you haven't been to disney or universal have you. they wipe the floor with the towers. no offence but you are coming across as a alton fanboy[/quote]

Be honest, flats are nothing!!! NOTHING compared to a good coaster. I mean, you don't see B&M's at a fair do you. let's be realistic.

I get what you mean and it is a universal fact, Thorpe has better flats than Alton, but as said above flats are poop compared to the like's of Nemesis and ect.

Are you honestly saying Thorpe is better for a good old thrill than Alton :?: Let us review the major attractions.

Stealth vs. Rita. Stealth is the most unoriginal ride concept Thorpe could have possibly thought of!!! Yes, it is faster and has quicker acceleration but I much prefered Rita's launch to that of Xcelerator's, as you have more freedom and are not boringly stuck to your seat. All bias aside, I thought Rita has much more intense!!! With top-hat elimants all you do is go up, with the exact same sensation of the launch apart from the sky is in front of you, you slow triumphently on the top (which could deliver some serious air-time), and then you advance into a totally forceless, and (Bias aside I assure you) unintense vertical drop. Alton wins.

Nemesis vs. Nemesis: Inferno. Ermmm... do I really need to say anything??? Alton wins.

Air vs. Collossus. Admittingly, a tough one, but Air was never claimed to be this huge monster Collossus was, and after the novalty of 10 inversions woar off air remained the better ride. The finaly of C is terrific, but the start and middle of the ride aren't anything IMO to that of Air's. The back-ward downward open helix, the drop, the inline twist, and that bunny hop!!! Excellence. And plus Air may possibly be the most original ride in the world, with all attention on flying!!! You really get this sensation, and the ride and it's surroundings breathe atmosphere. IMO the most magical ride in the UK!!! Alton wins, only just though.

Oblivion vs. Tidal Wave. :google: Alton wins.

Spinball Whizzer vs. X:\ No Way Out. Don't make me laugh. Alton win's.

Samurai vs. Ripsaw. Top Spins are sometimes an awsome flat, but Thorpe have totally wrecked this baby! Plus, on Ripsaw you get the wetting of your life!!! Alton wins.

Rush vs. Submission. Thorpe wins :roll:

Slammer vs. Blade. THORPE WINS!!!

The Flume vs. Loggers Leap. Sure LL is far more intense, but intensity is so not the key on log flumes. The Flume is sooo much fun, and the themeing is superb. It is also very magical, going through the woods and so on. Always puts a smile on my face so, Alton wins.

Ribena Rumba Rapids vs. Conga River Rapids. I feel RRR is terrible. It's themeing is next to non, and what is there is all tatty, and it has no atmosphere. CRR is sooo much fun, and is beautifully landscaped into KK. The waterfalls are amazing, and though you don't get wet much it is a blast!!! Definatly best rapids in the UK. Alton wins.

I swear I am not being fan-boyish, with no baism this is my honest opinion...

Thorpe = 2
Alton = 8

I agree with you that Thorpe has so much more to offer on the flats side of thing, and has a little of everything in thrill ways. Flats, coasters. Alton have gone a bit extra on coaster's, all great quality though so who's complaining. Flats are awful, water rides are unitense but breath magic, and dark rides are excellent. Look at Hex!!!

Alton is yes, a family park, but it has much much more quantity in every aspect. And if not, better quality (bar flats). Don't get me wrong, Thorpe is an adorable little park, heavenly even. But Alton.. what can I say :D/ Top notch, nearly perfect.

you haven't been to disney or universal have you. they wipe the floor with the towers. no offence but you are coming across as a alton fanboy
I disagree. Whilst indivigual themeing is far more complex than Alton, by miles, I feel the areas Alton have you just awsome. They exude so much atmosphere that you go through mood swings when you set foot in them, and the thing that makes them work so well is that they're so far away from each other, and so hidden away in the vast forest.

Hope I don't sound too fan-boyish. I know I'm comign off that way, but this is my unbais opinion.

Anonymous

[quote=""Kaycee-TTF""]

I've got to COMPLETELY disagree. The thrill of Rita has me coming off weak at the knees and wet at the eyes Razz. Slammer was a HUGE disappointment for me - nowhere near as intense as I had expected it to be.
well Rush was until recently has been running in and has know had its speed full height and ride duration increased and leaves you with a similar feeling as rita does. slammer has also had problems from opening and still is suffering and will be having it's speed increased in the near future
[/quote]

Well that's good news about Slammer, as I really did come off underwhelmed with that one.

I don't know all the stats about Rush, and I don't quite understand the first bit of your post :P, but I only went two weeks ago and it did go very fast and high. But in no way is it comparable to Rita in my eyes, and I personally find it an insult to Rita to compare it to those two! ;)

:twisted: :P
fitchy

refering to the first part of my last post: most new rides need to be run in just as new cars do before they are run at full capacity as it can cause damage to both the ride and/or the car if that makes sense
Beaver Dude

Be honest, flats are nothing!!! NOTHING compared to a good coaster. I mean, you don't see B&M's at a fair do you. let's be realistic.
Have to disagree. A well run top scan could probably wipe the floor with most rollercoasters. Plus you've turned this topic into an AT v TP topic what's the point. Alton has the better rides and theming but TP has the better staff (no offence to the AT staff.)

Plus your coments about Rita's launch being better than Xcellarators are stupid how is Xcellarators launch boring? The tophat gives great airtime and huge thrills.

Thorpe Park is making a great thrill park and with the addition of Stealth it'll be an amazing thrill park.
Anonymous

Let's not be thick.

Any Top Scan couldn't beat the RMT in my eye's. Ride's aren't just about intensity. Sure, flats can be very intense but that's not the point. A good ride is not about a thrill, but an experience. Look at Air!

Flat are fair rides, nothing more and nothing less. Good Rollercoaster's are real rides (and I fine "ride" as an understantment).

--

Plus your coments about Rita's launch being better than Xcellarators are stupid how is Xcellarators launch boring? The tophat gives great airtime and huge thrills.

Are you a dunse teenager or what? For staters have you ever been on Xcelerator. Surely if you have you'd spell it correctly :roll: And of course you don't get air time on a top hat. Have you seen how much the train slows. No thrill is to be had on the top end of that elimant at all, just some nice views :roll:. And statist's proove nothing, so stop dismissing my opinion. Rita's launch is tonnes better than Xcelerator's. It's launch isn't boring, but not as fun as the Queen of Speed's at all.

Thorpe Park is making a great thrill park and with the addition of Stealth it'll be an amazing thrill park.

Oh purlease. OK, let's have Alton rip out all of it's family/kiddy rides and aspects and name the park an "Ultra Super Xtra Thrill Park" shall we :roll:.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with a heated discussion at all, but don't start throwing insults or being patronising, i.e. dunce?dense? teenager and 'thick' comment. Let's treat everybody and what they say with respect, OK? :)

Kaycee x