Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
MattsDesigns

Just wanted to say the concept for the theme of this ride is excellent. Isn't it supposed to be the end of the world? And for some reason, that really worked for me in a year where my fears are that way inclined. Genius.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Liam B

Im messaging this while stuck in gridlock at thorpe park because of its terrible car park exit system! they really should make you pay when you enter!

What do you think? have you been stuck in this before?
Last edited by Liam B on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

lol I don't know, i left at 6.15 and it was fine :)

sarcasm aside yes it is pretty crap, but then so are all of the parks. my last trip to AT in June, the car park took 2 hours to empty, queues from the hotel all the way to the main road, from 6.15 till after 8. I wouldnt mind but it wasn't even a busy day, luckily i was staying in the hotel so didnt have to get stuck in it.
cheesie can be really bad aswell, due to the fact that if you want to turn right out of the car park you have to wait for a break in the traffic, which is normally rush hour traffic.
Benzin

Problem is if payment had to occur on entry to the park, then we'd have to queue to enter the park twice essentially... And whilst it's more common doing it this way abroad, the parks here lack the infrastructure really to do it I think...

It's defo something that needs looking at though, since all the parks suffer from traffic issues, even before the charges came in...
Jammydodger

The main problem at Thorpe is there's no real filter system, and getting 15 rows of cars in to 5 lanes just creates a mass pile up. I think a quick fix and short term solution would be defining the lanes and then adding light signals. It'd only speed things up a small amount, but it would just create more order and less frustration.
jackgcse

I have seen this as well...but there is not much that can be done, apart from adding more barriers, but that compromises parking space, so its a problem, although I would say that paying on arrival is far more sensible, in the long run, although it would need a very large plot to cater for at least 5-6 toll booths, instead, and this also would mean people would have to be warned far more about the fact for the need for money for parking on arrival, which is not what the company wants to advertise!
However I would say Alton would benefit more from that system, although Thorpe Park could operate it as well!
You have to look at the morning rush between 9:30-11, there is a large constant queue of cars going in, and what would this queue look like if they had to queue, to pay on top of waiting to get a space!?
Adam

The last time I went to Thorpe about 2 years ago for Fright Nights, we were parked fairly close the the barriers, and it still took us around an hour to leave the car park. Their infrastructure just isn't suitable for the demand they get at the end of a busy day!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
jackgcse

For me not having the effects going has never bothered me, because I knew they would not work for more than half a season even if they did work to start with! LOL! ;) Oh well...Yeah, Swarm, its alright, but I would give it a C+ (could do better) For little bits here and there! :)
bensaund

Fire worked for a few hours this morning, but when I went on, no fire or water effects.

But I should not set such high expectations for things to work, this is Thorpe Park we are talking about.
If you go down to the woods today
bensaund

The solution is very simple, remove the barriers
stu1980

I was there on Saturday and tbh left at 1pm as the ques was al so long it was not funny tbh - que time was 1hr 50min for one ride so i got out ok. However i went to legoland and boy a email is going in
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
opulentrich

... better than today .... swarm is down again. Don't think its been open all day during any of my 5 visits so far ... but I suppose it is new.
xxTrixxx

I think if they added like a red river it might be copying Alton towers nemesis a little... But if it looked more like lava than blood then I guess it would work great :DDDD

She wears short skirts I wear t-shirt's!
altontowers101

i saw the fire today and its really hot!!!
i like to see them trying to make it better :twisted:
Rollermad

bensaund wrote: The solution is very simple, remove the barriers
Good one!
M£rlin won't scrap the barriers!
Benzin

In an amusing turn of events, due to the excessive high ride downtime yesterday, they left the barriers up when leaving...
Benzin

It was down until around 4 yesterday... The fire is tempermental really, but I guess that's like many things, especially when it's a new effect, it won't catch alight every time... It's very cool though when it goes off though, especially when you're on the Stealth brake run...

Thorpe had about 6/7 rides down at points yesterday, the maintenance seems to have faltered quite badly recently, with Rumba and Zodiac down all day yesterday, Slammer and Saw Alive closed for a long time, Swarm and Fish shut most of the day, and Stealth and Saw breaking down every so often... It's all gone to pot again...
Chaz

^if you had already purchased tokens-would you be we'll and truly pissed off?
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
bensaund

I guess you have a right to a refund if you paid, but they left the barriers up and many people were getting out free of charge.
Pennywise

Benzin wrote: Slammer and Saw Alive closed for a long time
Whilst I agree with your post; the two rides mentioned there are closed permanently, so can hardly be expected to open. :)