If you owned ATR, what would you do with it?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Sr88

Right! I have a redone idea coming up tomorrow! Many will be pleased to know it includes a wooden coaster ;) It also includes a... Vekoma. But, with a twist (quite literally :D ) – it's not too bad. Any suggestions for a flat ride in Cloud Cuckoo Land are still welcome – I cannot think of anything suitable.
hlack_bole

- restore the Old towers. I mean, that's the main reason people went to visit back in the 1800s or whenever and I think it's awful to look at decaying away like that. It should be first on the list whenever AT had a huge amount of cash, not spending it on coasters. Although that's good too haha.

- put the original Katanya Canyon music back!

- put the original Tower steet music back! (and back on the monorail cars too)

- ok so maybe not a return of blackhole but deffo a return of a dark ride! A good one, mabye a dark water ride!

- take away enterprise and replace it with new flat.

- WD40 on the ripsaw's gonolla breaks! also, make it so it's not always on the HUSS cycle number 5 all the time, it's very obvious when it's on that mode. I'm not suggesting program number 9. maybe just have it on 7 all the time. Who cares if some kids can't "cut it" I want a GOOD ride!

- something interesting and maybe interactive for the punters during queuing!!! When I went to Canada wonderland some years back, they had tv's to watch and some small puzzle games! this is what AT needs!

- and saving the best till last... .a WOODIE!
Coasterfellow

Here's what I would do....

1. Remove Sonic Spinball and replace it with a CBeebies coaster and a couple of CBeebies themed flats.
2. Separate Air from the rest of The Forbidden Valley and make it into it own land that is themed around a futuristic world.
3. Expand the future themed land into the air car park and add a junior coaster and move enterprise there to.
4. Using the rest of the air car park add an entertainments complex similar to the likes of Disney village. The complex would have shops, restaurants, bowling, a cinema, interactive arcade, a theatre and a lake (because everyone loves a lake). I think this would really add to the resort feel and would make it even more of a holiday destination.
5.Add a rapids to splash landings.
6.Remove duel and replace it with an LPS dark ride.
7. Add a mine themed launched free-fall tower/dark ride to katanga canyon.
8. Re-theme, re-paint and re-name Rita to fit in with the rest of the dark forest. e.g replace the cars and add a themed wood tunnel for Rita to launch out of. The wraiths should also be a prominent theme.
9. Replace the flume with a pirate themed water coaster which dives down through a ship wreck on the lake and resurfaces for the splash on the water.
10. Move the blade to Mutiny bay and change the theme to make it in a glorified galleon of the high seas.
11. Add two flats to the X-Sector and one flat to The Dark Forest.
12. Make a new Alton mouse and put it in coaster corner as part of an expansion of Cloud Cuckoo Land.
13. And last but by no means least...... The cross valley woodie. :D
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Mermalizer

Here's what I would do:
- Sort out issues with The Smiler (this includes the train issues and drainage system).
- Expand into the Air car park (just as the last post suggested) and make it a new area. I'll refer to this area as Vivid Oasis.
- Move Enterprise to Vivid Oasis area.
- Add a new flat in the Dark Forest where UG Swinger was.
- More Towers restoration.
- Move Sonic Spinball to Cloud Cuckoo Land. Expand CBeebies Land into the Adventure Land space (I'd suggest an Octonauts ride in the old Spinball space and a new playground themed to Everything's Rosie)
- Add new rides at X-Sector - possibly flats or something bigger?
- Move the Blade to Mutiny Bay and retheme to a pirate theme.
- Retheme the Flume to a pirate theme also.
- Add a new skyride over to X-Sector.
And that is what I would do.
Prepare to be mermalized!
Dom

I keep thinking on and off about this. So here goes:-

-As mentioned above, remove Sonic Spinball and replace it with a brand new kiddy ride and extend Cbeebies to cover it.
-Remove all 'horror' themeing from Duel and change Duel to a mine and have Katanga Canyon extended to include it.
-Have the Haunted Hollow rethemed to match both Mutiny Bay at one end and Katanga Canyon at the other.
-All 'horror' themeing removed from Duel will go towards a newly themed CATCF ride, making it become part of Dark Forest.
-Extend Dark Forest to include Hex and the newly rethemed CATCF
-Sonic Spinball will return outside of the park, near the Entrance for the Monorail, hotel side, so guest have a ride to enjoy out of park open hours.
-The Flume replaced with a bigger and better Flume ride. Every park needs a log flume. Why get rid of a classic.

Thats all i have so far
Toonsville

I would reopen Nickelodeon's Outta Control Building as Toonsville House and reopen Slurp N Burp cafe to Augustin Burger restaurant.
Sr88

Forgot to mention, I would import thousands of 50 metre tall trees :D
Sr88

Here is my updated version:

3 new A roads from Macclesfield, Stoke-on-Trent, and Derby
New railway from Macclesfield to Uttoxeter
Reopening of old railway
New car parks
Relocated Air car park
Improved or replaced monorail (Doppelmayr CABLE Liner?), with extension to the new car parks
Relocated rubbish centre

New hotel / accommodation (Enchanted Village)
More hotel entertainment / activities in the evenings
New Forbidden Valley / Aquazone entrance for hotel users only

Cable car frequency sorted
Cable car sped up
New cable car from Adventure Land to Cloud Cuckoo Land (Doppelmayr)
New cable car from Mutiny Bay to Katanga Canyon (Doppelmayr)

Everything not mentioned receives an upgrade if required
This assumes that planning permission is not an issue provided everything is below the tree line (with some exceptions allowed with dark green track)

Adventure Land
Extend Sonic Spinball with a new chain hill just before the end, and go a bit further and faster, and smoother, with the non-inverted loop (Maurer Söhne)
New young children's rollercoaster (Mack)
New Speed Buzz flat ride suitable for all ages (KMG)

X Sector / Renamed
Retheming and renaming of section to more the crazy theme of the Smiler
Demolition of Enterprise
Demolition of Submission
Oblivion will keep the vertical drop, but everything else will be new (name, theme, etc.). It will be a floorless rollercoaster, spreading around the entire section with multiple vertical drops and inversions, etc. as well as going into the forest (B&M)
New Chaos style flat ride in Enterprise’s place (KMG?)
New Experience flat ride in Submission's place (KMG)

Dark Forest
Extension (does another circle, with a 3rd train if possible) and partial retheming (dark green track?) of Rita (Intamin)
Extension of Th13teen, with more ride before the backwards part (Intamin)
New Superstar flat ride

Cloud Cuckoo Land
Extension slightly behind to fit in new rides
New children's caterpillar coaster, which goes over and around the entire section (Mack)
New children's flat ride (what?)

Area directly behind CCL
New section, with friendly, simple, fun theming
New general rollercoaster with inversions, drops, maybe 80° or vertical, several times (B&M)
New Corkscrew (Vekoma)
New King Loops flat ride (Fabbri?)

Forbidden Valley
Demolition of the Blade
Removal of Ripsaw (as much as I like Ripsaw here it would have to be moved for the new rollercoaster)
Extension of Air from end with a new lift hill, to intertwine with a part of Nemesis and the new launch rollercoaster, with many original concept ideas and waterfalls put in, and make it officially a part of Aquazone (B&M)
New super fast launch rollercoaster, setting off North West between Air, old Ripsaw, and the Skyride, going down to Katanga Canyon, intertwining with the new 4D rollercoaster in the MB New Section, the new mountain rollercoaster, and The Flume, before returning back up, intertwining with Air once, then a secondary launch across the valley, intertwining with Rita once, then back across to the start – a few inversions and banks but mainly up and down with speed (Intamin)
New wooden coaster running across the valley (very long coaster), starting just below the Air station, with at least 2 lift hills
New Sicko flat ride in the Blade’s place (KMG)
New Tango flat ride next to Nemesis Sub-Terra (KMG)

Air car park / Aquazone
New section behind (and including) Air, with a water theme, lake, grass, lots of waterfalls around every ride, etc., and dug down to allow height
Water coaster with a large variety of in lake and on track sections, waterfalls, etc., intertwining with other new rollercoaster (Intamin or Mack)
New inverted rollercoaster with one chain lift and one launch, and with many inversions, corkscrews, and 2x 80° drops, and a water spraying ring, intertwining with new water coaster (Intamin)
New location of entirely refurbished Ripsaw (Huss)
New Top Scan flat ride (Mondial)

Katanga Canyon / Gloomy Wood
Removal of Dual and Gloomy Wood becomes part of Katanga Canyon
Improved water effects on the Rapids, and theming on the boats and in the tunnel
New steel mountain canyon themed rollercoaster for all ages, spreading over the section, and into the forest, and into MB New Section, intertwining with the new launch coaster from Forbidden Valley, the new 4D coaster, and The Flume. It will have several backwards sections and junctions, with launches and chain lift hills (S&S, Gerstlauer, Dynamic Attractions, or Intamin)
New Crazy Hoppers flat ride for most ages from young children (Safeco)

Mutiny Bay / MB New Section
Mutiny Bay split into two sections, with the new section having the Flume
MB New Section
New section have a wild mountainous theme, to tie in with Katanga Canyon
New path to Katanga Canyon
Complete renovation and retheming of the Flume
New 4D rollercoaster spreading though the forest and over the new open area, intertwining with the new launch coaster from Forbidden Valley, the new mountain rollercoaster, and The Flume (S&S)
New Extreme orbiter flat ride in new section
sw7nutter

Remove Rita then sell it back to someone who knows how to make a good park.
Sr88

sw7nutter wrote:Remove Rita then sell it back to someone who knows how to make a good park.
What would you put in its place? :)
sw7nutter

Intamin blitz would have to take its place. I would also have to add about 4 flat rides for thrillseekers as alton lacks a lot in that department. Some sort of air machine in the FV and i would ensure a cross valley would comes to life. However to ensure the public think their safe it may have to be a RCM.
Morgan

My idea:
2014: CBeebies Land opens, Submission and Flume removed.
2015: Enchanted Village opens, Family-interactive-Smiler-experience opens on Submissions grave. Duel re-furb.
2016: SW8 opens. Flume re-opens in Dark Forest. Sonic Spinball, Charlie and Ice Age removed.
2017: Dynamo re-opens in Adventure Land. Toyland Tours returns, extended into Ice Age. Sub-Terra removed.
2018: Family B&M coaster opens in Forbidden Valley. Ripsaw and Blade removed.
2019: Ripsaw and Blade re-located the Dark Forest. Oblivion has back-row backwards for the year.
2020: SW9 opens in Forbidden Valley. Smiler-interactive-experience, Enterprise and Twirling Toadstalls removed.
2021: New Flat in X-Sector.
2022: New Hotel opens. New Sea-storm type ride opens in Cloud-Cuckoo-Land. Rita removed.
2023: Smiler back two rows are backwards for the year. Water-park extension.
2024: SW10 opens in Dark Forest. Runaway Mine-Train and re-furbed Duel removed.
2025: New flat in Gloomy Wood as Katanga Canyon extension.
2026: New family coaster in Katanga Canyon.
nemefan08

2015: enchanted village, flume removed.

2016: water coaster opens on flume sight. Part 1 of flume area renovation.

2017: family friendly flume is opened on site like rugarts at bpb, sometimes duels with coaster

2018: General mantinace and new effects for x sector. Spinball closes and sw8 begins.

2019: sw8 ( 5d coaster) opens with a afterburner in x sector.

2020: ccl gets a miniapple and refurbed octopus from parks early day.
Alton13Nemesis

2014- cbeebies land opens, ripsaw removed from the park entirely, along with sonic spinball.
2015- enchanted village opens, temporary shop opens on site of ripsaw, cbeebies extension goes into adventure land (small coaster or dark ride, play area, flat ride) and scarefest is completely revamped
2016- new car park located to the north of the hotels, car park to the east of air ripped up, planning goes in for the world's first B&M multi launching sit down coaster on the air car park site, new flat ride opens on the old ripsaw site (new top spin, top scan or spinning gyro swing)
2017- B&M coaster opens in April, the flume is removed, new food outlet opens on submission site
2018- monorail removed in winter 2017, 2018 sees new transport (tbc) opened from car parks to the entrance, flume site becomes host to small family water ride
Burniel

Right, so looking back in the thread, I realise that my previous contributions to this topic have been fairly stupid.
Sorry about that.

So, after having a think, here is what I'd do if I could do whatever I wanted with Alton Towers:

CBeebies Land opens
Submission closes

Big overhaul of The Blade
Enterprise closes
Work begins on Air Car Park
SW8 announced to come in 2016

SW8, a B&M Wingrider, opens on the Air Car Park site, themed to FV
KMG Afterburner opens in X-Sector, taking most of the space of the Submission/Enterprise site
A small, Smiler-themed interactive game opens on the remaining space of the S/E site
Ripsaw temporarily removed

Ripsaw reopens having been completely modernized and refurbished since March 2016
Air is repainted and fully re-themed to fit the FV theme
A new 4D show, focusing on the storylines of the rides, replaces Ice Age
Spinball has all the Sonic theming removed, due to the SEGA contract expiring

A Top Scan is opened in DF
A well-themed dark ride replaces Charlie
Rita repainted dark green
The Flume removed

An Enterprise opens next to Spinball
13 extended to have a larger outdoor section
Work begins on the Flume site
Nemesis Sub-Terra removed

SW9, a Mack water coaster, opens on The Flume site
A new attraction opens on the NST site (not sure about details)
AND WHO KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Danny

There's some issues I've noticed with your plan. Firstly if they removed enterprise they wouldn't get a new one a few years later. Also enterprise is a discontinued product so it would have to be 2nd hand.

They wouldn't get rid of N:ST only 7 years after they opened it. It complements the Nemesis backstory and will therefore stay until the time comes for Nemesis to be removed. It adds to the ride line up lots of people enjoy it and is a dark, unique ride experience.

Also you claim that Spinball will still be around in 2019, another 5 years time, don't AT plan seem to incinuate that Sonic is heading in to its final years?

To extend Th13teen is incredibly unlikely, and you point out that your old suggestions were crazy :lol

The dimensions of an Afterburner wouldn't even fit in all of Submission and Enterprises plots, let alone some of it.
stealthsmiler

I would remove Charlie and re-theme it with a new original theme linked to the enchanted village. It would remove an IP which I think AT have too many of now and also I think charlie's IP is a bit out dated IMO. The boat would work as going down a river through the enchanted village and then im sure they could reuse the elevator somehow, maybe something to do with fairy magic.
SuperWill

Here are the many things I would do if I owned Alton Towers:

1. Make the on-the day tickets £29 and online it would be £20.
2. Get rid of Fastracks and bring back the old Fastpass machines.
3. Early Ride Time would start from 8:30 for Annual pass holders, 8:35 for hotel guests and 8:40 for people who have booked tickets online.
4. 20:00 ride close everyday in the Summer, 18:00 in Spring and Autumn.
5. Take out Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and put in Toyland Tours 2.
6. Make on-ride photos £2 and an on-ride photopass for £5.
7. Henry Hound and Henrietta Hound would make a return with the return of the old parade.
8. Re-theme Duel back to The Haunted House.
9. Take out Rita and put in a Mack megacoaster/launch.
10. Include Early Ride Time during Scarefest.
11. Scarefest ride close would be 21:30.
12. Early Ride Time lineup would change every month (like they are currently doing now).
13. Make a new type of transport from every area.
14. The old Towers Street music would return.
15. And finally, the old magic would return to Alton Towers at last! :D

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
stealthsmiler

Looking back, I would make changes to my plan.

(2014- SW8 plans submitted)

Phase 1, 2015- Alter the park, keep all current rides
- A general tidy up, basic maintenance
- Sub-Terra becomes part of the Nemesis queue line, back-story adapted so it flows
-New car park on whats currently over flow begins to be built
- Enchanted Village opens
-Rita Closes and deconstructed

Phase 2 - 2016 - The Dark Forest
- SW8 opens on Rita site. The ride would be a Mack multi-launch coaster full of airtime hills. The station would be behind where Rite is currently and the track would weave in around the trees behind TDF.
-New car park opens
- A small flat ride (a spinning/swinging flat) near the entrance, where Rita's final turn is, would be constructed. It would be themed to look like its attacking the forest, trying to stop it reaching CCL. The theming would reach out towards CCL ending with a few roots stretching towards CCL to look like the forest is creeping out.

Phase 4, 2017 - Gloomy Wood
- Duel would be re-themed along with Gloomy Wood. It would become part of Forbidden Valley and would be a Phalanx training centre all about shooting accuracy. It would feature TV screens with different Aliens. Scarefest would see it transformed into a new scare maze where live actors roam around it.
-Flume shuts.

Phase 4, 2019 - Adventure Land
- Sonic closes
- SW9 opens, a new spinning coaster opens on Flumes site, Pirate themed.

Phase 6, 2025 - Oasis land.
-Air has work done to make it have a new feel for the new land, eg Air tunnel.
- Some new flats are opened along with SW9, a water coaster of some sorts (cant decide which)
- A FV bypass would be added
- path work and trees would be done to make Air feel more separate to FV.
Burniel

If you owned the Alton Towers Resort, what would YOU do with it?
DannyG wrote:There's some issues I've noticed with your plan. Firstly if they removed enterprise they wouldn't get a new one a few years later. Also enterprise is a discontinued product so it would have to be 2nd hand.

They wouldn't get rid of N:ST only 7 years after they opened it. It complements the Nemesis backstory and will therefore stay until the time comes for Nemesis to be removed. It adds to the ride line up lots of people enjoy it and is a dark, unique ride experience.

Also you claim that Spinball will still be around in 2019, another 5 years time, don't AT plan seem to incinuate that Sonic is heading in to its final years?

To extend Th13teen is incredibly unlikely, and you point out that your old suggestions were crazy :lol

The dimensions of an Afterburner wouldn't even fit in all of Submission and Enterprises plots, let alone some of it.
My plans were what I would do with an unlimited investment budget. I don't think any of my ideas would lose money, or lose guests.

I don't see why I can't add an Enterprise in ... maybe it would make sense to just move the original rather than getting a new one, but why should it matter - I have no budget limit.

Why are people so determined for Spinball to go? It could quite easily stay another 20 years tbh, just remove the sonic stickers.

And with the Afterburner, I'd just knock down FCC and put it somewhere else.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.