When do you think rides will go?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Which will go first?

Air
64%
Nemesis
36%

Total votes: 66
Ronnopm94

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Ronnopm94 wrote: I dislike Air. I'm sorry but I do. The queues can get ridiculously long. The first drop, twist and bank are great, then the ride falls flat. The uber modern flying theme that looked fantastic in 2002 is now as dull as the ride's faded colour. Although it was my "Blue Peter" coaster as a kid, it is not a great ride and could be so much better. Immensely overrated and technically wasn't the world's first flying coaster (Skytrack in Manchester) and along with the immersive scenery of Nemesis just across the area, it falls flat with a bang. I can't see Air being so popular and iconic it gets it's own spin off ride 18 years after it opened.

Now imagine if they combined the launch and manic turns of Rita with the flying feel and twists of Air... Now that would make a fantastic ride...
So you think air will go first? Or do you just want it to go first
I want it to go first. If I was forced to make a choice of course. It would be nice to see Alton Towers keep their iconic roller coasters, which whether I like it or not, includes Air, and make a whole new generation of steel icons before they remove any of the installations there already.
Last edited by Ronnopm94 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

Ronnopm94 wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
Ronnopm94 wrote: I dislike Air. I'm sorry but I do. The queues can get ridiculously long. The first drop, twist and bank are great, then the ride falls flat. The uber modern flying theme that looked fantastic in 2002 is now as dull as the ride's faded colour. Although it was my "Blue Peter" coaster as a kid, it is not a great ride and could be so much better. Immensely overrated and technically wasn't the world's first flying coaster (Skytrack in Manchester) and along with the immersive scenery of Nemesis just across the area, it falls flat with a bang. I can't see Air being so popular and iconic it gets it's own spin off ride 18 years after it opened.

Now imagine if they combined the launch and manic turns of Rita with the flying feel and twists of Air... Now that would make a fantastic ride...
So you think air will go first? Or do you just want it to go first
I want it to go first. If I was forced to make a choice of course. It would be nice to see Alton Towers keep their iconic roller coasters, which whether I like it or not, includes Air, and make a whole new generation of steel icons before they remove any of the installations there already.
A lot of the things you've said, 'Ronnopm94', I strongly disagree with:

1) I would, personally, not describe the ride as 'falling flat'. Yes, the ride does slow down considerably after the tunnel and the layout brings it out over the grass next to the car park, but it is still a unique experience in this area of the world and some interesting forces are to be felt all throughout the circuit.
2) The Nemesis spin-off rides weren't added because of the parent coaster's popularity, but a way of reviving its popularity. Inferno was added in 2003 for 2 reasons; Nemesis was actually being overshadowed by Air, in the latter's opening year, ironically and Tussaud's wished to extend their integral ride storyline to their 'new' sister park. Sub-Terra was installed to bring more awareness about Nemesis and its story.
3) AT never marketed Air as the world's first flyer; it was the world's first next generation flying rollercoaster, which is technically true, depending on the way you look at it.
4) You REALLY actually think a Rita-Air hybrid would make for a decent ride?

Anyway, that's my opinion.  :)
Ronnopm94

Sorry Rhino18 but I will have to disagree with you on that one :P I really feel Air loses it's greatness midway through.

2) Nemesis story wise, yes I totally agree with you. It had just become a great coaster at Alton Towers, not a living backstory. However, it was and is so iconic that they were able to renew interest in the original attraction with the spin off rides. I do agree with you on that one though.

3) I suppose that is true. Hands up , I should have checked that.  :P

4) Not really. Too many technical issues and complications. However a launched flying coaster at A.T.... The speed and force as you soared round the woodland setting would be quite an experience, in my opinion anyway
Last edited by Ronnopm94 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

^While a launched flyer may make a fun ride, the forces would be incredibly strong and mixing it with Rita would just make, arguably, the smoothest coaster in the park, rough.  :)

And just think of the cost.....
Ronnopm94

Yeah I totally agree. Perhaps a nice idea in theory but a technical and financial nightmare. Maybe in the future though. I'd just like to point out at this time that I'd rather ride Air ten times than ride Infusion/Traumatiser at Blackpool Pleasure beach twice...
Burniel

rhino18 wrote: just because 'it doesn't fit in with the theme', it also doesn't mean that AT will get rid of a hugely popular £12m 'world's first' investment.
I agree with this, it probably should go in the next 2 decades or at least be re-themed, but AT won't bother
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
rhino18

^The GP don't give one about themeing. It'll go in the 2040s, I think.
Oblivion115

Here's what I would do (fixed)  :D

2016: sonic spinball
2020: the flume
2025: the smiler and/or rita
2030: thirteen
2035:nemesis
2040: air

And as for oblivion I dont know...it looks just as good as nemesis does!
Last edited by Oblivion115 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks lewis97 for the signature!
Interesting fact: I play bass :P
Ronnopm94

It's easy to forget how old these rides are :- Nemesis is in it's 20th year, oblivion it's 16th, Air it's 12th. All Worlds firsts and sadly probably getting on for halfway through their lives at Alton towers. If Nemesis did age so much it needed t be replaced, I hope they would essentially reconstruct the ride, perhaps with some new elements and not scrap it completely. I doubt they could ever replace a ride so iconic.
rhino18

^It would be cheaper to just buy a new coaster, with a different layout, as AT would get a higher attendance at opening season, than they would if 'Nemesis MkII', opened.
Oblivion115 wrote: Here's my predictions  :D

2014-15: The Flume and Sonic Spinball
2020: Nemesis
2025: Rita and The Smiler
2030: Air
2040: Th13teen
Yeah, right.....
Burniel

I think these are very inaccurate.

There is no way both the flume and spinball will go in the next two years. For one, the contract with SEGA doesn't run out until 2016 so spinball will stay until at least then. The flume, we want it replaced, but I think we're looking more after SW8.

Nemesis can't go just after it's 25th birthday. We comment on how well it's aged and how popular it still is, there's no way Merlin will get rid until AT LEAST 2030.

Your Rita and The Smiler predictions are fairly accurate, but they won't go in the same year.

I think Air will last slightly longer than 2030, and TH13TEEN less than 2040. I think 13 and Air should be swapped around, Nemesis brought right back to the 2035+ mark and Spinball and the flume to around 2016 and 2020 respectively.

You are of course entitled to your opinions, though
Tom.B

Well I've said Nemesis. It's not what I hope (hell no), but it's what I think will happen. I doubt merlin will care enough about enthusiasts to keep it just for us, and as it's a relatively old beast, I think it will go before Air.
Oblivion115

Ilovecoasters wrote:

I think these are very inaccurate.

There is no way both the flume and spinball will go in the next two years. For one, the contract with SEGA doesn't run out until 2016 so spinball will stay until at least then. The flume, we want it replaced, but I think we're looking more after SW8.

Nemesis can't go just after it's 25th birthday. We comment on how well it's aged and how popular it still is, there's no way Merlin will get rid until AT LEAST 2030.

Your Rita and The Smiler predictions are fairly accurate, but they won't go in the same year.

I think Air will last slightly longer than 2030, and TH13TEEN less than 2040. I think 13 and Air should be swapped around, Nemesis brought right back to the 2035+ mark and Spinball and the flume to around 2016 and 2020 respectively.

You are of course entitled to your opinions, though
It was a joke man...I purposely did that  :lol: I've changed it now anyway to my actual opinions
Oblivion115 wrote: Here's what I would do (fixed)  :D

2016: sonic spinball
2020: the flume
2025: the smiler and/or rita
2030: thirteen
2035:nemesis
2040: air

And as for oblivion I dont know...it looks just as good as nemesis does!
Here's my actual opinion  :D
Last edited by Oblivion115 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks lewis97 for the signature!
Interesting fact: I play bass :P
samandmelvin66

All I'm saying is when the hell is Battle Galleons going to go

opinion. opinion. please don't shout
Burniel

samandmelvin66 wrote: All I'm saying is when the hell is Battle Galleons going to go

opinion. opinion. please don't shout
I hear you.

The only possible day you could enjoy it is the hottest day of the year, when, let's face it, it's so packed that you don't have time for it. It also goes very slow. An ok idea, but not for the uk. I saw a similar one in the south of France, which worked well.

But, I don't think it will leave. It's a very "convenient" ride for AT to put on the water, and it's also fairly new (6 years), and so I don't think it's leaving any time soon. Nevertheless, I am in agreement that it is quite pointless.
CPATH10

lf2001 wrote: I'm sure Air will go first. It doesn't fit into the theme of Forbidden Valley, and  Nemesis is more popular.
actually, on average Air has double the queue length of Nemesis and Air has a higher throughput, which suggests that air is actually more popular!
rhino18 wrote: ^Both the capacity and throughput are dreadful. 4 riders per individual car means that it takes a while to get the 4 people strapped in.

But hey, that's what you get for building a spinner right near the park entrance.  :)
The same thing happens with Dragons Fury at Chessington, it is the first ride people see, so they go straight for it!
Stripes91 wrote:
lf2001 wrote: TH13TEEN - 2035 - I think 13 will last quite a while, but when bigger rides start opening at the park over the years it could come unpopular.
I think you've missed the point of Th13teen, it's not meant to be a big ride, it's the "middle ground" between Children and Teenagers - it's meant to appeal to the whole family in a way that the bigger rides can't. Of course we get our kicks from it too, but it's not designed to measure up against the bigger SW's.

I would guess at Spinball being the first to leave due to the LTDP (I'd guess at a relocation to another Merlin park, maybe Chessington?) The next 2 aging rides are RMT and The Flume - All of a sudden we have a big gap in the "middle ground", so I would suggest that they may work hard to keep these operational until there's another Th13teen sized attraction in the park.

On that basis I would suggest Rita would be next, but really couldn't speculate any further without knowing what's on the way in!
Chessington have a Maurhe Sohne spinning coaster otherwise know as Dragons Fury
Ronnopm94 wrote: Now imagine if they combined the launch and manic turns of Rita with the flying feel and twists of Air... Now that would make a fantastic ride...
That could work, but they should turn the circuit around, so as to work the launch.
Last edited by CPATH10 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scw55

I think Air would go first out of Nemesis because:
The roughness.
Both rides will get rough. Nemesis is ahead due to its age.
Nemesis's roughness could be incorportated into its theme.
Air's however might detract from the experience. When you imagine flying, you imagine smoothness. You don't imagine roughness. You also don't imagine being strapped to a train, but that's besides the point.

Air not fitting to the FV? That's a silly reason. Air could be rethemed. Air could be absorbed into a new zone (a Yang to the Forbidden Valley). Or Alton Towers doesn't care. Air sticking out like a saw thumb can easily be rememdied by the implied gradual corruption of the Oasis with bits of rust/pink water/tentacles being dotted here and there around.
Burniel

Surely if you re-theme air then roughness could be a part of the theme as well? ;)

Just a thought ...
kierannewcombe

Can't believe people are saying the Smiler will be gone in 10-15 years time. The reason why many pieces fell off is because they rushed the ride opening. Work will have gone on over closed season and it will be fine. Towers won't spend £18 million on a ride only to shut it down 10 or so years later?

Credit to Lewis97
Burniel

Just wanted to update my original predictions:

Sonic Spinball - 2016
The SEGA contract will run out at the end of 2016, and Merlin will get rid.

Runway Mine Train - 2018
Will hopefully go in a few years time to make way for SW 9 or 10 ;)

The Smiler - 2020 2020-2030
Quite simply, the smiler will crumble before it's taken down. At some point in 2020, after 7 years of operating, it will completely break. A death trap waiting to happen. UNLESS THEY FIX IT

Air - 2025
A great coaster, but will disappear soon after it's 20th, deemed not to fit the Forbidden Valley and that it has now become too rough

Rita - 2030 2020-2030
Rita will stay for a while, but will need to be upgraded due to the simplicity of it.

TH13TEEN - 2035
It's hard to say, but I think it will stay until we have some other freefall drop coasters that outdo it. But, as it's just approaching it's 4th birthday, it is not time to say goodbye yet.

Oblivion - 2040
Oblivion will be allowed a 40th anniversary before it is decided that a dive machine this basic needs to be upgraded.

Nemesis - 2050
The beast should comfortably see her 50th birthday, before they will have to do something with her. Yes, we will riot, but all good things come to an end.