When do you think rides will go?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Which will go first?

Air
64%
Nemesis
36%

Total votes: 66
Tom170499

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Rob-TT wrote: The Smiler will be around for a long time yet, it's not even been operating for a year yet and all new coasters have teething issues in their first year.
I don't remember any other secret weapons falling to pieces after a few months. Breakdowns, yes, but not breaking
A piece fell off Air in 2002
rhino18

Pieces fall off EVERYTHING. Sometimes it's small like a loose bolt, or sometimes it's a bit bigger, like the stuff that fell off the Smiler back in October. It's still a common occurrence, especially for a very compact 1170m rollercoaster like the Smiler.  :)
PhoenixStudios

Tom170499 wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
Rob-TT wrote: The Smiler will be around for a long time yet, it's not even been operating for a year yet and all new coasters have teething issues in their first year.
I don't remember any other secret weapons falling to pieces after a few months. Breakdowns, yes, but not breaking
I'd give The Smiler another season and see what happens before I'd guess how long it will stay. Generally everyone has said Air is going to last for quite a while even though it had its problems. Maybe in a few years people's opinions on The Smiler will change?

Spinball will be first to leave, then Rita. But there'll be a large gap between Spinball's removal & Rita's removal. I think they'll only remove Rita when they have to.
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
rhino18

PhoenixStudios wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote: I don't remember any other secret weapons falling to pieces after a few months. Breakdowns, yes, but not breaking
I'd give The Smiler another season and see what happens before I'd guess how long it will stay. Generally everyone has said Air is going to last for quite a while even though it had its problems. Maybe in a few years people's opinions on The Smiler will change?

Spinball will be first to leave, then Rita. But there'll be a large gap between Spinball's removal & Rita's removal. I think they'll only remove Rita when they have to.
It'll stay for ages. It cost £18 million.
Stripes91

lf2001 wrote: TH13TEEN - 2035 - I think 13 will last quite a while, but when bigger rides start opening at the park over the years it could come unpopular.
I think you've missed the point of Th13teen, it's not meant to be a big ride, it's the "middle ground" between Children and Teenagers - it's meant to appeal to the whole family in a way that the bigger rides can't. Of course we get our kicks from it too, but it's not designed to measure up against the bigger SW's.

I would guess at Spinball being the first to leave due to the LTDP (I'd guess at a relocation to another Merlin park, maybe Chessington?) The next 2 aging rides are RMT and The Flume - All of a sudden we have a big gap in the "middle ground", so I would suggest that they may work hard to keep these operational until there's another Th13teen sized attraction in the park.

On that basis I would suggest Rita would be next, but really couldn't speculate any further without knowing what's on the way in!
Last edited by Stripes91 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

First to go: Spinball, Rita, RMT

Last to go: Oblivion, Air, Nemesis
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Danny

Stripes91 wrote:
lf2001 wrote: TH13TEEN - 2035 - I think 13 will last quite a while, but when bigger rides start opening at the park over the years it could come unpopular.
I think you've missed the point of Th13teen, it's not meant to be a big ride, it's the "middle ground" between Children and Teenagers - it's meant to appeal to the whole family in a way that the bigger rides can't. Of course we get our kicks from it too, but it's not designed to measure up against the bigger SW's.

I would guess at Spinball being the first to leave due to the LTDP (I'd guess at a relocation to another Merlin park, maybe Chessington?) The next 2 aging rides are RMT and The Flume - All of a sudden we have a big gap in the "middle ground", so I would suggest that they may work hard to keep these operational until there's another Th13teen sized attraction in the park.

On that basis I would suggest Rita would be next, but really couldn't speculate any further without knowing what's on the way in!
Chessington wouldn't have spinball as they have dragon's fury, exactly the same ride just a different, in my opinion better layout.
Burniel

danny.g97 wrote:
Stripes91 wrote:

Chessington wouldn't have spinball as they have dragon's fury, exactly the same ride just a different, in my opinion better layout.
Spinball needs to go to Thorpe but that won't happen
rhino18

^Well, really, I think it needs to stay at Alton. They have a small handful of family-orientated coasters. Them being, Thirteen, as the 'bridge' coaster, Spinball, being the all-round family one and Runaway Mine Train, being the slightly gentler one. Thorpe and Chessington were both developed together; one a thrill park, one a family park. Originally, Thorpe was designed to be the family park and vice-versa. And while Thorpe can have family coasters (e.g. - X, Flying Fish), Sonic Spinball is better suited to Alton and should at least stay in the park.
Burniel

I give you permission to laugh at me

I think Spinball should go to LEGOLAND Windsor
Danny

Ilovecoasters wrote: I give you permission to laugh at me

Now that's not actually a bad idea…  :D
Burniel

danny.g97 wrote:

Now that's not actually a bad idea…  :D
I have to say that is the only thing that would get me back there
BenBowser

Honestly I think Spinball should go to a midway attraction, Madame Tussauds London anyone? Lets face it, it's a crap coaster, the worst at Alton. Shouldn't go to Legoland (never get planning permission), shouldn't go to Thorpe (too close to Chessington and Dragon's Fury), and definitely shouldn't go to Chessington for obvious reasons. It could work well in MT, in the dark, light up scenery, think about it. Although, something would need to be done about its capacity.
Last edited by BenBowser on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

nemesisben110 wrote: Honestly I think Spinball should go to a midway attraction, Madame Tussauds London anyone? Lets face it, it's a crap coaster, the worst at Alton. Shouldn't go to Legoland (never get planning permission), shouldn't go to Thorpe (too close to Chessington and Dragon's Fury), and definitely shouldn't go to Chessington for obvious reasons. It could work well in MT, in the dark, light up scenery, think about it. Although, something would need to be done about its capacity.
Except there's one big flaw with your master plan here.

It wouldn't fit.
Last edited by Danny on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Without backseat modding, can I just say I created this topic to decide when rides will go and not where they will go. There is a topic for the future of spinball anyway.

However I agree that spinball will go first
rhino18

Hang on.....you said this topic was about when rides will go, not where.....
Burniel

rhino18 wrote:

Hang on.....you said this topic was about when rides will go, not where.....
So I did.
I was merely saying that a lot of people who were new to the topic started talking about the where instead of the when.
rhino18

Fair enough. I suppose.  ;)
Ronnopm94

I dislike Air. I'm sorry but I do. The queues can get ridiculously long. The first drop, twist and bank are great, then the ride falls flat. The uber modern flying theme that looked fantastic in 2002 is now as dull as the ride's faded colour. Although it was my "Blue Peter" coaster as a kid, it is not a great ride and could be so much better. Immensely overrated and technically wasn't the world's first flying coaster (Skytrack in Manchester) and along with the immersive scenery of Nemesis just across the area, it falls flat with a bang. I can't see Air being so popular and iconic it gets it's own spin off ride 18 years after it opened.

Now imagine if they combined the launch and manic turns of Rita with the flying feel and twists of Air... Now that would make a fantastic ride...
Last edited by Ronnopm94 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Ronnopm94 wrote: I dislike Air. I'm sorry but I do. The queues can get ridiculously long. The first drop, twist and bank are great, then the ride falls flat. The uber modern flying theme that looked fantastic in 2002 is now as dull as the ride's faded colour. Although it was my "Blue Peter" coaster as a kid, it is not a great ride and could be so much better. Immensely overrated and technically wasn't the world's first flying coaster (Skytrack in Manchester) and along with the immersive scenery of Nemesis just across the area, it falls flat with a bang. I can't see Air being so popular and iconic it gets it's own spin off ride 18 years after it opened.

Now imagine if they combined the launch and manic turns of Rita with the flying feel and twists of Air... Now that would make a fantastic ride...
So you think air will go first? Or do you just want it to go first